What's new

Pots and pans, pans and pots

I need to replace a couple of 8-10 quart pots. I am a fan of the Sitram brand- I was looking at the 9.5 inch 7.5 quart. I prefer a smaller diameter so you don't loose 2 burners. Welded handles are a must.

Two questions-
Anything else I should look at?
Where do/have you sourced your gear?

I eagerly await the opines!

:thumbup1:

I firmly suggest vintage Revere Ware copper bottoms. If you get the ones made before I think 1960 (there are guides somewhere online to find this out) the copper was thicker and the stainless steel was better. Best pots I've ever used. I have an 8 and a 10, and a quart.

Seeing Pots and Pans brought back bad memories of KP duty in basic training in the Army.
When someone was assigned KP duty,they always got a specific job in the kitchen and Pots and Pans was the worst job there was,it including all of the pots and pans that was used to make the meals for the day for a very large number of soldiers.
I got stuck with Pots and Pans every time.

Paul

What are you going to be using the pots for? If you are planning on making braises, I would suggest a Dutch oven, preferably from Le Creuset or Staub. If you are planning on making stew, any old pot will do. I would not invest too heavily in a stock pot.

All-Clad Stainless 8-Quart Tall Stock Pot with Lid at Amazon.com here. Has riveted handles though...

proxy.php

If you're looking for a copper sandwich then I don't think you can beat Sitram for the price. If you want to get up into the All-Clad price range then you have to look at Demeyere. It kicks All-Clad to the curb. I was gifted a Demeyere John Pawson 8.5 qt. stock pot. The base diameter is under 9.5 in. It is heavy and the fastest heating, most even cooking pot I have ever used. It also has a proprietary interior and exterior finish called Silvinox which makes it the most stain resistant and smoothest finished stainless steel pot I have ever seen. The lid is double layered for extra insulation and it's even suitable for induction cooking.
I don't know if I would have spent the money to buy it myself but I won't give up the one I have.

I firmly suggest vintage Revere Ware copper bottoms. If you get the ones made before I think 1960 (there are guides somewhere online to find this out) the copper was thicker and the stainless steel was better. Best pots I've ever used. I have an 8 and a 10, and a quart.

We like Revere Ware a lot, as you can readily pickup the older versions in thrift, flea markets and vintage shops (the lower end variety). So when I burn the rice or my wife burns the oatmeal, it's amazing easy to clean the pot. Put it into the recycling bin and get out another.

:thumbup:

I am absolutely serious.

-jim

Check out Tramontina. Tri-ply construction, very similar to All-Clad at a fraction of the price. Sold at Wal-Mart, believe it or not.

Hey Jim. I have one of the Tramontina stock pots and it is actually quite good. I think I gave $39.99 for it about eight years ago. It is an eight quart model. It came with a steamer tray, pasta strainer, and of course a lid. I am most happy with it.

Now I will say this. The pots you linked to are obviously top shelf quality. Like you, I really like the welded handles. The Tramontina is riveted but in nearly a decade they have not come loose. And this stock pot has been USED. I cannot honestly say if the price difference is warranted but I can tell you this. About a year and a half ago my wife bought me a gorgeous blue Le Creuset enameled cast iron oven. It is rather large. I think it goes about 7.5quarts. I has a "30" cast into the bottom side of it. I love it. She paid about $175 for it because it was a "second" though unless you look VERY closely at one flaw in the casting you would never tell. A first would have been something like $279. Was it worth it? Absolutely, assuredly, YES. Especially when compared to other brands of enameled ovens. Quality was not even close.
I love the danged thing. However, typical uses between a cast iron oven and a stock pot do not overlap that much so I cannot answer honestly if a high end stainless pot is worth it.

Regards, Todd

Check out Tramontina. Tri-ply construction, very similar to All-Clad at a fraction of the price. Sold at Wal-Mart, believe it or not.

Are those the ones Cooks rated a best buy?

I will sheepishly admit to having bought a *gasp* a boxed set of pans to replace my everyday use pans - a quart, two quart, 8-inch and 12-inch frying pans, and a 6-quart stock - not too long ago. :blushing: I, too, saw them in Cook's and went for it when my cheapo Calphalon's starting to lose their coating.

They are awesome.

I have never had trouble getting them clean, they heat very evenly, and I bang them around with reckless abandon fairly regularly and they have held up beautifully. I was just thinking to myself last night how nice the 6-quart pan cleans up after using it to simmer chicken, brown mushrooms, and thicken a sauce all in the same pot.

Put me down as another satisfied user.

Are those the ones Cooks rated a best buy?

Yes - I recommended them to a friend and she loves them!

I'm cheap, which means that my kitchen will never be graced with Al-Clad - if I was looking to buy new kitchen pots/pans, I'd buy the Tramontina or the Sitram ones.

I use Paderno pots. They're very nice and I've been beating them up for 10 years now. I'm sure they'll last a lot longer.

Top Bottom