What's new

Potentially silly question - DE blade pack sizes

This could be a stupid question, but bear with me :lol:

What are the most common DE blade pack sizes?

I've seen a lot of 5s, 10s and 100s... but I've heard people talk of buying 500 and even 1,000 blades!

Is this just 5 x 100 and 10 x 100?

The reason I ask is that I'm looking to buy some Astra SPs soon and it would be useful to know what the "standard" pack sizes are.

Cheers,
aytri

Astra's have five blades to a tuck. A pack of 100 blades contains 20 tucks of five blades. 500 blades would be five packs.

Others like Feathers or Red IPs contain ten blades to a tuck. A pack of those normally contains 200 Blades, with 20 lots of 10 blades.

For individual packs of modern DE blades, I've only seen 5 packs, 10 packs, or 100 packs. This does not take into "bonus" packs where you get 7 for the price of 5, or something similar.

As alias mentioned, a 100 pack of Astras will actually have twenty 5-packs inside, and will look like this:

$41HUQMtwgpL.jpg

If you bought 1000 Astras, you'd get 10 of those.

100 packs of other blades can be in a different form factor, such as these Personnas (a true 100-pack)
$228534-DEFAULT-L.jpg

Or these Russian blades (pic from MoAllen), again a 20x5 form factor:

$IMG_2812.jpg

I'm sure there are others.

As Pat said, it's basically how the blades are packaged.

The Astra's come in a PILLAR (solid box of blade packs).
Off the top of my head, the main brands that come this way are Astra, Derby, Feather, German Wilkinsons, the European packaged Personna Reds (as Personna Platinum Chrome - it's the same blade in different packaging), and at least a couple of the Vidyut Supermax makes come that way.

The Personna's are not group-boxed boxed, so generally you would call that a PACK. (ie 'a 100-blade pack')
You could also say this about buying a single 5-pack box of blades. Most of the blades packed like this are Personna: Barber, Labs & Medi Preps. I have some cheap 'Topaz' blades for India that came packaged as 100-wrapped blades in a single box.

The Voskhod's pictured are what is referred to as a TUCK, as you can tuck the card up to protect the blades, and untuck to display at retail.
You will see most Gillette India/St Petersburg produced blades packaged like this, along with the Monteglomash (Voskhod/Rapira) blades. All my Personna Reds come this way, as well as the Lord blade family (Lord, Shark) and the remaining Vidyut Supermax from India.

Last edited:
As Pat said, it's basically how the blades are packaged.

The Astra's come in a PILLAR (solid box of blade packs).
Off the top of my head, the main brands that come this way are Astra, Derby, Feather, German Wilkinsons, the European packaged Personna Reds (as Personna Platinum Chrome - it's the same blade in different packaging), and at least a couple of the Vidyut Supermax makes come that way.

The Personna's are not group-boxed boxed, so generally you would call that a PACK. (ie 'a 100-blade pack')
You could also say this about buying a single 5-pack box of blades. Most of the blades packed like this are Personna: Barber, Labs & Medi Preps. I have some cheap 'Topaz' blades for India that came packaged as 100-wrapped blades in a single box.

The Voskhod's pictured are what is referred to as a TUCK, as you can tuck the card up to protect the blades, and untuck to display at retail.
You will see most Gillette India/St Petersburg produced blades packaged like this, along with the Monteglomash (Voskhod/Rapira) blades. All my Personna Reds come this way, as well as the Lord blade family (Lord, Shark) and the remaining Vidyut Supermax from India.

Correct

Top Bottom