What's new

Potentially Heretical Question

If I am in a hurry, I shave in the shower. I have a container of soap and a brush in there (Calle Ocho)

The same applies to a new Wolfman if it doesn't work out, or a Timeless, or an ATT

That's kind of an apples to oranges comparison, isn't it?

An Edwin Jagger costs as little as 25 Euros and is, in most instances, perfectly capable of offering a high quality shave. It may not be made of CNC machined stainless steel, hand polished by angels themselves, or be marketed as an exclusive, artisanal product, but has good craftmanship and build quality, which is what matters the most, ultimately.

That there are fancy, expensive DEs is fine and dandy, for those who like them: however money does not necessarily buy a better shave.

Electric razors, though?

Various price brackets differ in terms of motor power, quality of the shaver head, battery technology (entry level still use NiMH), materials and QoL features.

What this boils down to, is that a passable entry level Braun starts from about 50-60 Euros (on sale), but most will move up the ladder to a sweet-spot razor, like the old Braun Series 5 or 7 (the new ones apparently are not as good), which are way more expensive.

I'm using Braun here, because rotaries tend not to shave as closely, as a result of the thicker guards, and have more potential for irritating sensitive skin for the rotating blades tend to twist hair (if my neck could tell stories).

Panasonic are a bit more affordable but do better with wet shaving, while generally those looking at electrics prefer to shave dry, for saving time.

FTR, just a couple months ago, I was considering picking up a new electric for some quick touch-ups: I have absolutely nothing against electrics (they're just another tool in the box for those who find them useful), and also have a decent idea of what the market offers.

If I am in a hurry, I shave in the shower. I have a container of soap and a brush in there (Calle Ocho)

Since this is all about being heretical anyway, one could also skip the brush and lather up a regular or brushless cream with their hands.

A quick SAS shave doesn't have to meet the highest standards under any respect, that's the whole point of a SAS.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
My simple, potentially heretical, question is what have you found to be the best electric razor? I’ve seen several well North of $200 and am absolutely fine with spending that kind of money for that kind of quality.

I used to use Norelco/Phillips products, but the last one I got is the reason I shave wet now.

However, I also have and use a Wahl 5-Star Super Close trimmer. This is basically a foil razor. When I use it -- on those days when and early appointment leaves me short on minutes -- I always get a quick BBS. Compared to a good blade shave it doesn't last long, but for gettin' up and out it'll do the trick.

O.H.

Gentlefolk,

My job demands that I sometimes arise very late night or very early morning and be at work clean shaven in one hour, giving me ~35 minutes to prep. As much as I prefer wet shaving, I really need an electric for those nights / early mornings so that I can shave enroute to work.

My simple, potentially heretical, question is what have you found to be the best electric razor? I’ve seen several well North of $200 and am absolutely fine with spending that kind of money for that kind of quality.

Thank You in advance!!

John
My advice: request transfer OUT of the 82nd Airborne. The whole "rapid deployment" mentality always rubbed me the wrong way. Had enough of that thinking with "alerts" in Korea that only seemed to happen at 3 AM and resulted in me dozing uncomfortably off in a fully loaded M577 in the motor pool.

If you shave every day and your stubble doesn't lay really flat against the skin, there is no question about it--get a Panasonic Arc 5. You can pick up one like mine for $99, but there are nicer versions of it. It is easy to clean even without the cleaning station. Keep a little sewing machine oil to place a drop on it to stay lubed. No need for the cleaning station with the Panasonic, but I hear you need it with the Brauns.

My understanding is that the Braun's are better at lifting longer hair but they don't get as close as the Panasonic.

I actually found Badger and Blade looking at reviews for shaving creams when I had this, and decided to give a DE razor a try--I never looked back.

1607053612906.png

My advice: request transfer OUT of the 82nd Airborne. The whole "rapid deployment" mentality always rubbed me the wrong way. Had enough of that thinking with "alerts" in Korea that only seemed to happen at 3 AM and resulted in me dozing uncomfortably off in a fully loaded M577 in the motor pool.

Not in the 82nd. Not even in the Army! I’m Chair Force!!

I used to use Norelco/Phillips products, but the last one I got is the reason I shave wet now.

However, I also have and use a Wahl 5-Star Super Close trimmer. This is basically a foil razor. When I use it -- on those days when and early appointment leaves me short on minutes -- I always get a quick BBS. Compared to a good blade shave it doesn't last long, but for gettin' up and out it'll do the trick.

O.H.

Thank you!! That’s what I’m after: a quick “close enough but close as possible” shave. I’m about to check out the Wahl. Thanks Again!!

About 10m from getting items out of the cupboard to put away with de shaving (could shave off maybe 1.5m but that may get me cut)....doesn’t take very long with a de in reality...unless you take your time(nothing wrong with that though) once you get a efficient razor that really mows your growth it’s all downhill really..also piping hot water I notice that made a huge difference in how a blade acts..hotter the better (to a certain point)

Last edited by a moderator:
I second Furex's comment. Have you considered using a brushless cream? There are plenty of positive comments about Cremo in the forum. While I've never used Cremo, I have used Pinaud Clubman's shave butter, which is also a brushless cream. It definitely cut down on shaving time.

Alas, electrical shavers are not kind to my skin so if I had to bash out a shave in double quick time I'd do a single pass shave in the shower with an R41 and a fatty soap like Tabac or Mitchell's Wool Fat. Job done :)

Top Bottom