What's new

potential Gem Featherweight issue

I had my first shave with this razor today. At every slight change of angle the cap started to move and slightly lifted the blade from the stoppers :eek2:.

So is it my technique? A weak spring? Or are the stoppers shot?
My Ever Ready has a notch to insert and hold the blade from moving forward and shaves fine.
Comparison pic
3F9B1833-4877-48BC-9889-08C216938F91.jpeg

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
I'm having a hard time seeing your Featherweight really well in that pic -- any chance you can take another shot? What I'm looking for is a picture of the top (looking down) on the head of the closed razor. From this shot, the tab in the back looks different to me. I've got several FW's and the spring make them all close super tight -- I mean it takes a little effort to get the razor open. I'll also page @GAW9576 and @Ron R -- two gentlemen who have quite a bit of experience with the FW as well.

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
I will add that sometimes I've put the blade in and it wasn't completely blocked by the blade stops (the two little pieces of the metal that catch the blade and keep it from going forward), and I've just had to make sure the blade is seated flat before closing the lid. Or it is possible that one or both of your blade stops are a bit worn -- although I haven't seen that on a this model before, and from your picture, the blade stop I can see looks nice and prominent.

Last edited:
Sounds like a weak spring to me. I had a 1912 that did the same thing; I managed to pop the cap off the two pins that hold it in place and bend the spring up on the ends to add some tension. You could try that, or just find another Featherweight. It's not your technique - if it was, you'd have problems with your 1912.

I'm having a hard time seeing your Featherweight really well in that pic -- any chance you can take another shot? What I'm looking for is a picture of the top (looking down) on the head of the closed razor. From this shot, the tab in the back looks different to me. I've got several FW's and the spring make them all close super tight -- I mean it takes a little effort to get the razor open. I'll also page @GAW9576 and @Ron R -- two gentlemen who have quite a bit of experience with the FW as well.
New pic from the top
C31430A3-68C5-4471-AF70-9E815E8F98A6.jpeg

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Could you install a blade in the feather weight and take a picture, in the picture you can see where the spring indicator is on the top cap all the way forward. If a blade is installed and and it is indicating the same position you have a lose blade and some one has did something wrong with this spring. If the blade stops are at all damaged it is ruined, sorry to say it. But if the blade stops are good it is still be salvageable possibly. Make sure you are using new Gem blades and not some old vintage blades from another manufacture.
The top cap should have some down ward pressure regardless if there is a blade in it. Previous owners sometimes might of been experimenting with that razor also.(they are hard to wear out IMO.) Also check underneath to make sure it looks OK.

Hope this helps you.

Look to the back where the two metal flanges depress against each other to snap the lid shut. See if there is any play or looseness. If there is, try to insert a thin shim between them to see if it helps the lid to snap down tighter. If that works, you’ll have to figure a way to bend or shim it permanently.
I just got an ER 1914 and the cap was loose and sloppy and didnt snap down onto the blade tightly. There was play. I minutely bent one of the flanges in the back that push against each other and the problem was solved. The 1914 has no tab in the back for opening and closing, so it was easy. The featherweight is the same basic system, but a little more finicky to adjust.

Could you install a blade in the feather weight and take a picture, in the picture you can see where the spring indicator is on the top cap all the way forward. If a blade is installed and and it is indicating the same position you have a lose blade and some one has did something wrong with this spring. If the blade stops are at all damaged it is ruined, sorry to say it. But if the blade stops are good it is still be salvageable possibly. Make sure you are using new Gem blades and not some old vintage blades from another manufacture.
The top cap should have some down ward pressure regardless if there is a blade in it. Previous owners sometimes might of been experimenting with that razor also.(they are hard to wear out IMO.) Also check underneath to make sure it looks OK.

Hope this helps you.
More pics
435F1BB1-0403-4A43-A06F-4156B480122B.jpeg

8CBC4CE1-65E0-4F14-8261-907DF5D0B489.jpeg

72E6380F-91EE-438C-B813-6DC08820C09A.jpeg

Try sliding a thin shim between the top and bottom flange. See if that makes the cap tight.
There are scratch marks on the protruding part that acts as the counterpoint of the opening tab so someone already fiddled around with this bit. I’ll try to bend it a bit upward with some pliers.

If you want to fix it correctly, this is what you will need to do. Pop the razor cap off completely. Ther are two small pins on the ends that hold it. Find a proper tool so you can force the end off the pins. Be gentle.
once the cap is off, the flange you see on the top should be bent a little forward, or the bottom flange a little upward. Good luck.

If you want to fix it correctly, this is what you will need to do. Pop the razor cap off completely. Ther are two small pins on the ends that hold it. Find a proper tool so you can force the end off the pins. Be gentle.
once the cap is off, the flange you see on the top should be bent a little forward, or the bottom flange a little upward. Good luck.
Many thanks, just squeezing achieved nothing. So I will do as you said and pop the cap off.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Thought I would do a comparison for you if that might help, sometimes it helps. Mine is working perfect.
............................ Yours..............................................................Mine..................................
Gem feather weight issues (2).jpeg
Gem featherweight issues -1.jpg

Nothing really seems out of order from comparing, your left pin to retain cap seems different a little. Good luck!

Top Bottom