What's new

potential Gem Featherweight issue

Very minor point but for the sake of accuracy it's a Feather Weight, two words.

1613942489294.png

Sorry I'm late to the game here fellas. Sounds like you have plenty of advice. I don't really have anything extra to add. Hope all goes well. The Feather weight is a fantastic razor when it's shaving right.
Maybe it wasn't working right because as @HoosierTrooper pointed out you were calling it by the wrong name. I know ladies don't like it when you call them by the wrong name at least.

R

romsitsa

The rivets of the handle are loose, so the spring won't tighten the door down. I'd try to tighten the rivets, if it doesn't help, bend the wings (spring) up a bit with the door removed.

I got the cap off and tried readjusting the spring. There is now significantly more resistance when opening but still weak holding power when closed. Additionally the slight wobble of the head has increased so I must have hurt the rivets that hold the head to the handle.

So all in all I think I wrecked it completely:c7:

I will look for another one on the big Bay sometime soon but am currently not in the mood to give it more thought.

I think your assessment was right but I’m bit of a klutz in regards to these things...

I got the cap off and tried readjusting the spring. There is now significantly more resistance when opening but still weak holding power when closed. Additionally the slight wobble of the head has increased so I must have hurt the rivets that hold the head to the handle.

So all in all I think I wrecked it completely:c7:

I will look for another one on the big Bay sometime soon but am currently not in the mood to give it more thought.

I think your assessment was right but I’m bit of a klutz in regards to these things...
No, no, no. We don’t give up so easily. This razor must be fixed. Let’s start with those rivets. Rivets are easy. Just tap on them with a hammer. Make sure the one of the ends is abutted agains something unyielding and tap the other end until it’s nice and snug.

No, no, no. We don’t give up so easily. This razor must be fixed. Let’s start with those rivets. Rivets are easy. Just tap on them with a hammer. Make sure the one of the ends is abutted agains something unyielding and tap the other end until it’s nice and snug.
I’ll fiddle around on the weekend to see if I can improve it.

So I somewhat re-bend the outer flanges today and the middle spring. It was hard to find a fulcrum point to bend them even slightly. With a couple of newly gained scratches it now snaps open and holds close with only a tiny bit of rattle. The blade holder tab does its job now as well.

I will give it a try in April once FFFMM21 is over.

Many thanks for all the patience and advise.

Top Bottom