What's new

Posting new thread versus replying to an old thread?

Ridpath

FIGHTER!
I generally resurrect a thread if the last activity isn’t too old, eg a few weeks/months. If you don’t want to do that, you could always put a link in a new thread so people can refer back to it.

Just my £.02, your mileage may vary.

I generally resurrect a thread if the last activity isn’t too old, eg a few weeks/months. If you don’t want to do that, you could always put a link in a new thread so people can refer back to it.

Just my £.02, your mileage may vary.
I think this is a pretty good idea. I think it depends on how old the thread is, how many pages of posts there are and what the new post has to say. Just because a thread is years old doesn't mean it shouldn't be resurrected. There might be some good info in it that new people may like to read who otherwise miss out on some good information.

Thanks for that! I may try a few different things, but I will be sure to include links to old threads that are relevant.

I always do a detailed search in order to avoid a redundant post or resurrect an old one. Almost everything regarded to wet-shaving has been discussed here for a solid decade, unless it's a brand new product or method in question of course, then shoot away.

If the thread is more than a calendar year old, I will not resurrect it unless I have something very specific or helpful to add. Although it hurts no one, it drives me nuts to no end when a 5 year old thread is replied to by a noob with poor grammar / punctuation, and ultimately, nothing new to add!

But whatever you do, please, don't be tempted to start another thread about how Tabac is the best kept secret in wet-shaving. The whole internet knows this already.

:eek2:

Hi,

I'd say a Year. If it is over a year since the last post, don't bring it back. Some forum software has lockout options for thread age, and a year since the last post is a common setting when it does.

Stan

Personally I get very tired of seeing the same topics brought up in different threads. They are usually the same content, just written by someone different and for the most part I usually just skip over most of them for that reason!! There are some older threads that are very useful still and if people just took the time to read them 99% of the time the question they were going to ask has been asked and answered at least 3-5 times in the old thread...

Top Bottom