What's new

Post your Shaving Cream Lathering Techniques

OK, kids, time for more reference material for us all to compile for those in need. First it was Shave Sticks, now for shaving creams.

Here is my technique:

1. Put bowl in sink. Fill with wicked hot water
  2. Put brush in mug. Fill with wicked hot water
  3. Turn on mug warmer (optional)
  4. Go take a shower
  5. After shower, dump out water and re-fill bowl with wicked hot water
  6. Re-heat brush briefly in hot water
  7. Hold brush bristles down to let excess water drain out. Do this until flow stops
  8. Give the brush a healthy shake, depending on its size. For a small brush I shake very little out. For a larger brush, a bigger shake.
  9. Open cream container and scoop out a healthy amount, perhaps the size of a large nut*
  10. Put cream on bristles (or in bowl)
  11. Whip that lather into Great Big Gobs of Cool Whip (tm), using your bowl
  12. If you need to add a sprinkle of water to get the right consistency, go ahead.
  13. While bowl is not in use, place on mug warmer to stay nice and toasty

*I used to do the "poke and twist" method, but I feel this helps me gauge the cream amount better.

Hi-I usually put a few drops of hot water equivalentto half a teaspoon in the bottom of the mug. Then I take a spreader of shaving cream and spread it around the bottom of the mug. The trowel type spreader is more practical. I wet my brush with hot water and wipe off the excess cream from the spreader with it, then I mix it in the mug to produce a warm lather. If need be, I repeat.
For hard soaps-right now I'm using Col Conk's Bay Rum and Proraso. I just wet the brush and go around til a decent lather is formed. The Col Conk soap takes a while to produce a lather, while the Proraso is almost immediate and generous, not to mention sensational on the skin.

I try to keep things simple. Once out of the shower, I dry my hair before shaving, so I have a few minutes.

Soak the brush in hot tap water

Add dollop of shaving cream into my mixing bowl, accompanied with about half a teaspoon of hot water

Let the brush drain and give a good flick or two to eliminate excess water (varies depending on the brush I am using)

Whip up the lather, adding additional drops of water as needed

Run hot water over the bottom of the bowl (I use a stainless steel mixing bowl, just hold at an angle)

Apply lather

I run hot water over the bottom of the bowl between passes and re-load the brush...great hot lather!

Randy

A

apm

Hi everyone,

This is my first post. BTW-I think this site rocks.

I use a veg based shave cream w/o animal products. I break out if I use shave creams that have animal ingredients. Hope this helps veg based shave cream users. Any suggestions would be appreciated

The shave cream I use already comes in a flip-top crock. Since it is veg based it doesn't create a lot of extra foam or whip. I've found that the super fluff initially just made me think that better, but in reality it was just fluff.

The stuff I use doesn't fluff. All I have to do is add hot water to the brush, do a couple of quick stirs and the cream is ready to apply.

The shave cream is then warm and creates a thin barrier. The sc I have is for sensitive skin. My understanding is that is has a lot of built in moisturizers. The great thing is I don't do a post shave because the shave cream is so moisturizing.

I think the technique is important, but if the shave cream is crap, well then so is your shave.

After my shower I fill the sink with hot water and soak my brush while I dry off. After draining the brush and giving it a good shake I stick the tip of my brush in the cream and swirl, then build lather on my face. I let the lather sit on my face while I put away my shave cream then shave.

1. Put bowl in sink and fill sink with hot water.
2. Remove bowl and put brush in it to soak.
3. Put shaving "cube" (CAR's product) in the sink.
4. Build lather on the cube.
5. Drop a finger full of paste into the brush.
6. Lather on face.
7. Refill core of brush with water.
8. Relather face & begin shave.

I am not a true "method shaver" but have really enjoyed what the cube does for the lather. It allows you to continually add water to the brush without much risk of washing the lather out. After several passes, the lather reaches a thick consistency that is fantastic for the t/c phase.

Kyle

Though I'm new to wet shaving, I've shaved in the shower for years, just using whatever cheap disposable razor and canned gel or cream (Barbasol!) was on sale at the grocery store. I wasn't really *happy* with my shave--lots of stubble, a few nicks from time to time, etc.--but didn't know that this was an option. . .

I've now upgraded my products, and am using a brush and a M3T, but still am shaving while in the shower. I have a nice little suction shelf in the corner of the stall on which sits my small stainless steel mixing bowl, tub of Trumpers Sandalwood and Prorasso, and my small but mighty SR101 shave brush. I also have a no-fog suction cup mirror afixed to the side wall of the stall. Here's the routine:

•fill up my bowl with hot water, and let the brush soak while I shower

•shower and shampoo--rinse

•empty the bowl, leaving a few drips in the bottom

•put a small dollop of Trumpers cream in the bottom of the bowl, or in my hand--I/m still experimenting :confused:

•whip up my lather

•apply to face--return brush to bowl

•shave--1st pass with grain, 2nd sideways

•rinse brush under showerhead, rinse razor, rinse and empty bowl

•rinse face under showerhead

•towel off, splash ice cold water on face and apply A/S

This seems to work for me, and is a less cumbersome process than showering, then drying off, then shaving in the sink. The whole shaving process happens in a warm, moist environment, my "stuff" is all right there on the shelf, and it takes less time.

Am I missing something?http://badgerandblade.com/vb/images/smilies/confused.gif

mrob,

No, I wouldn't say you are missing something. If you shave in the shower and it works for you, I say keep doing it. I personally have not shaved in the shower since I started the whole wet shaving routine for a couple reasons and I've posted this before, so I'm sure I'll get lambasted here shortly..

1. My hands get slippery in the shower and if I'm trying to hold a Vision razor with the water running constantly, I could lose grip on it and drop it. Now I use the Vision with the most aggressive setting I can get. I don't want to drop that thing on my foot (or other appendage) and slice myself good.

2. I don't want all that hot water running up a huge bill with the time it takes me to shave properly. Usually my shaves take 10-15 minutes in the morning. That's a long time time have water running. I just prefer to do it in the sink

3. Make sure you aren't leaving your brush in the shower after you shave, as it may not dry out and start mildewing.

Before I started DE shaving, I shaved in the shower. While re-learning how to shave, I got out of the habit. I have thought about it but echo Justso's concerns about the water waste.

Justso said:
mrob,

No, I wouldn't say you are missing something. If you shave in the shower and it works for you, I say keep doing it. I personally have not shaved in the shower since I started the whole wet shaving routine for a couple reasons and I've posted this before, so I'm sure I'll get lambasted here shortly..

1. My hands get slippery in the shower and if I'm trying to hold a Vision razor with the water running constantly, I could lose grip on it and drop it. Now I use the Vision with the most aggressive setting I can get. I don't want to drop that thing on my foot (or other appendage) and slice myself good.

2. I don't want all that hot water running up a huge bill with the time it takes me to shave properly. Usually my shaves take 10-15 minutes in the morning. That's a long time time have water running. I just prefer to do it in the sink

3. Make sure you aren't leaving your brush in the shower after you shave, as it may not dry out and start mildewing.

Thanks--I appreciate your advice. Maybe I'll turn off the water while I shave, and move the brush outside the stall while it dries.

fill bowl with warm water. let brush soak for 30 seconds. drain bowl. let brush drip till all water drips out for 8 seconds or so. put some cream into bowl.. swirl until a nice thick consistency appears that is uniforma throughout...

apply and enjoy shave.

B

beatsjunkie

1. put kettle on stove
2. fill mug with hot water from tap
3. when kettle whistles - dump hot water from mug and replace with boiling hot water
4. take mug to bathroom
5. turn on shower
6. place brush in mug of hot water
7. shower
7.1. dump hot water
7.2. load brush with shaving cream
7.3. build decent lather in mug
8. lather
9. strop razor 30 x
10. refresh lather
11. shave
12. optional second lather
13. optional second pass
14. rinse face with hot water
15. rinse face with cold water
16. aftershave balm
17. breakfast

1. Run very hot water from tap
  2. Fill two black ceramic cereal bowls
  3. Wait a minute, empty and refill the two bowls (for more heat)
  4. Soak brush in one of the bowls
  5. After a minute or two, while prepping my face, empty one bowl and add the cream
  6. Shake out brush pretty well and start lathering
  7. Add hot water a few drops at a time while lathering, until I get the lather I want
  8. Empty the other bowl and fill about half way with fresh hot water
  9. Nest the lather bowl into the water bowl to keep it warm
  10. Shave and enjoy
Tim

The key is to have a really big 'Lathering Bowl' LOL. This one came with my Kitchen Aid mixer. I can make enough lather to shave an elephant! :biggrin:
Sue

0. breakfast
1. put kettle on stove
2. fill mug with hot water from tap
3. when kettle whistles - dump hot water from mug and replace with boiling hot water
4. take mug to bathroom
5. turn on shower
6. place brush in mug of hot water
7. shower
7.1. dump hot water
7.2. load brush with shaving cream
8. build lather on face
11. shave
12. optional second lather
13. optional second pass
14. rinse face with hot water
15. rinse face with cold water

Modified it a bit, but mine is the same as BeatsJunkies

Mine's a bit different....:wink:
Fill sink with piping hot water
Fill lather bowl with 2-3 oz piping hot water and stick in sink
:eek: Load DRY brush with cream :eek:
Take brush to bowl and build lather
....add more water to bowl when needed.

The key is to have a really big 'Lathering Bowl' LOL. This one came with my Kitchen Aid mixer. I can make enough lather to shave an elephant! :biggrin:
Sue

You are the queen on that one. My wife would not like me using her Kitchen Aid bowl. 5 qt bowl full of lather. What to do, what to do.

Kudos for the original use.

1. Heat bowl with hot water
2. Heat mug with hot water
3. Place brush into mug
4. Dump out water in bowl
5. Add cream
6. Give a good shake or two to the brush
7. Lather away

Sue, I like the Kitchen Aid lather bowl!

1. fill coffe mug w/distilled water and get my large coffee cup (which holds a thin metal bowl inside, surrounding it with VERY HOT water) and fill it with tap water. put these in the microwave for 2 minutes on high. press start.
2. walk into bathroom. turn on hot water in the sink. put "Da Cube" in the water and let it soak with my HD razor.
3. get my coffee mugs out of the microwave. (HOT!)
4. place mugs on the sink. Place brush in distilled water mug to soak. place thin metal bowl insert inside the other coffee mug, letting it float in the hot water absorbing the heat.
5. pick up "Da Cube" out of the sink and then take up the brush out of the distilled water and start scrubbing away making lather.
6. add a couple squirts of "Activator" into the center of my brush and keep building.
7. add some "shave paste" and build the lather some more.
8. put brush in metal bowl (hot!) and let it warm while I put some prorasso pre-shave on my face and then get a damp washcloth and nuke it for 25 seconds.
9. place hot wash cloth on face for 1-2 minutes.
10. NOW I'm ready to lather up and swipe the wiskers off my face in 3 passes from 3 directions.
11. wash with hot water
12. wash with cold water
13. Apply the Waleda Razierwasser. Very nice!
WOrks for me!:wink2:

I gently dab my brush into the bowl of shaing cream and lather on my face. As this is not complicated enough for me, I am planning on buying one of Sara's (Nova Scotia) Ayars lathering bowls (named after Jim @ Vintage Blades I understand, the inventor) was also thinking about a Moss Scuttle. Any thoughts? I am not at all familiar with scuttles so don't even know if they are appropriate for shaving creams.

I’m a shave in the shower guy, and I went to Wal-Mart and bought a cheap fog free mirror for about 7.00 that I have in the shower.
I start by filling my shave bowl with water as hot as I can get out of my tap, and let my brush soak while I shower.
After I have cleaned off, but while still in the shower, I empty my bowl and flick out my brush some.
I lather directly on my face (I only use my shave bowl for soaking my brush while I shower) so I load my brush up with what ever shaving product I have decided to use and spend about 2-3 minutes building a nice creamy lather on my face.
I then proceed to have fun with my 66 SuperSpeed.

My showers are much more fun nowadays.

Top Bottom