What's new

Post your Shaving Cream Lathering Techniques

I am still relatively new to brush shaving.
After going through:
Coffee mug (smooth interior)
Japanese Lacquer bowl (smooth interior)
Japanese ceramic bowl with rough interior (one of the best)
Scuttle with smooth interior. (not that great)
I discovered an electric candle warmer. It worked but not as warm as I wanted with any of the above all of which have some kind of ring around the bottom that keeps them raised slightly above the heat source.
One morning as I was feeding Killer my son's vicious, voracious ***** cat I noticed his stainless steel bowl was perfectly flat on the bottom. It has a smooth interior.
I swiped it. It is perfect. I gave Killer a soup bowl. No complaint from him.
I fill the SS bowl with hottest tap water, place it on the candle warmer, put in my Rolls Razor and shaving brush and then shower.
The rest of the procedure depends on the soap or cream and brush I am using but I always make my lather in the warm bowl.
Using a darkroom thermometer to check the temperature of the lather proved futile as it varies from top to bottom of the foam. So I checked 8 oz of water. It stayed at 120 F for several hours with no variation. The hottest foam is at the bottom of the bowl. When I load the brush for each pass I stir it about in the foam.
Whatever shaving cream I use it seems to lather more quickly and give a richer foam in the warm SS bowl than in any of the others.
Perfect. Who could ask for anything more?

1. Fill the bowl with warm water.
2. Fill the sink with Hot water.
3. Place the brush into the bowl, into the sink.
4. Shower.
5. Empty the bowl.
6. Load the brush.
7. Lather - Shave
8. between passes, bowl/brush returns to sink with hot water.

Straight razor shave when I have extra time, I use Marco's method with soaps for a real luxury experience. Creams are same as below. I use a wetter lather for straights.

DE shave with soap moisten brush, shake and load heavy. Wet face and face lather, add water as needed by running brush under faucet stream occasionally.

DE with shave creams, smear a small grape sized amount on right cheek with face wet. Moisten brush, shake and face lather. Add water same as before as needed.

I almost never bowl lather anymore. I think face lathering gives better results. I also use a lot of soap or cream. I do 2 passes.

Fill the mug with warm water, put the brush in it, it is soaking while I'm taking the shower.
So I take out the brush and just give a little squeeze between palm and index finger on the middle of the brush- do not twist it.
I put cream as much I think I need for that shave and then I do this, this action guarantees me even face lathering, unlike her I put cream in the middle of the brush and do that until small foam begins to form. After that circular movements on face
Works with every cream.

Last edited:
Top Bottom