What's new

Post your Shaving Cream Lathering Techniques

I fill sink with hot water.Put brush and old spice shaving mug in sink.(Thinking of getting a larger shaving bowl or scuttle).Take shower .Empty sink drain brush .refill sink with hot water.Hot towel my face while i'm lathering.

1. Fill sink with HOT water, and soak brush
2. Shower
3. Empty and refill sink (Hot again)
4. Put some cheap glycerine soap on brush and lather up some
5. Put a bit of cream in brush and lather up in hand
6. Lather and shave

In between passes, I drop a bit of water in the center of the brush to keep it warm and hydrated. It's kind of a mix of Mark's "Superlather" and a bit of the method shaving technique I learned from CAR when I stopped by his shop. I don't like the thickness of most creams, but I don't have as good of luck with soaps with our water. It makes a wonderful silky lather.

When lathering with creams, I do the following (I won't include soaps for now):

1. Fill mug with hot water from tap.
2. Clean teeth whilst hot water warms mug.
3. Empty mug and then place brush in mug and refill it with hot water from tap.
4. Fill lathering bowl with hot water from tap.
4. Take a shower.
5. Get out of shower and empty water out of mug (without shaking brush)and refill it with piping hot water from tap and place brush back in mug.
6. Put a warm facecloth to my face a few times over (soaked with warm water from tap)
7. Take brush out of water, hold it over sink to let water drain off it, then flick it gently twice.
8. Empty water out of lathering bowl, and squirt almond size blob of shaving cream into lathering bowl/or scoop some shaving cream with finger out of the tub.
9. Swirl the brush a good few times in the lathering bowl so it picks up all the cream and there is now a layer of thick cream at the bottom of the bowl. I now turn on the hot water tap very gently until the water only just starts trickling out.
10. Hold the lathering bowl under the tap only for a split second.
11. Swirl the brush in the bowl for about 10 seconds.
12. Repeat steps 10+11 until I think the lather is looking ok (usually about another 3-5 times, depending upon the particular cream I use) . For each repetition of 'step 11', I make sure I work the water from the tap completely into the lather with my brush before I place the bowl back under the tap again.
13. Apply lather to face.

Hello all! New to badger and blade. I've been using a feather razor RG for about 6 months. My current technique is as follows

1. fill shaving cup/mug with hot water from tap. Let brush soak
2. apply feather pre-shave and massage into face
3. soak a wet towel with super hot water and squeeze out the excess. steam face for approximately 2 minutes
4. whip up some lather with badger brush in the palm of my hand with the art of shaving unscented cream
5. apply lather to face
6. shave and stuff

• I fill the bowl with hot water and soak the brush in it.
  • While the brush is soaking, I wash my face with hot water and regular soap.
  • I discard the now lukewarm water from the bowl and from the brush and I wet the brush with fresh hot water.
  • I gently flick the brush to remove excess of water.
  • I put a dab of cream into the bowl if it's from a tube (or I dip the bristles into the jar).
  • I swirl the brush into the bowl just enough to start some light bubbly lather.
  • I put the brush to my face and I do the real lathering there. I take a good couple of minutes or more to work the lather deep into the beard. I alternate between circular and "painting" strokes. When the lather thickens, I dip the tip of the brush in hot water and go on.
    This is the most relaxing part: talk about canned foam!
  • I shave once (no details here, the thread is about lathering, right?).
  • I lather up again for the second pass, with some hot water, if I need it. Too bad, the lather has cooled by now, but this is hardly an issue, since the hair is already quite soft.
  • I do the second pass.
  • I leave the gear as it is and take care of my face: warm rinsing, (alun block sometimes), cold rinsing, liquid a/s, balm.
  • I don't forget to feel great. :thumbsup:
  • I rinse the brush by stirring it in the bowl under the tap (this also rinses the bowl, did you know that? :wink: ). I rinse the razor too.
  • I flick the brush and the razor and I wipe the bowl dry and store the gear.

-Fill shaving mug with hot water that was boiling from a tea pot.
-After a few minutes of this heating the shaving mug, I empty the bowl and start mixing shaving cream, using about the size of a dime.
-I let my brush soak from the warm tap water from the sink. I prefer to not use extremely hot water on my brush so as to not damage it.
-One quick snap of the brush to get the excess water out.
-Start mixing the cream for 10-15 swirls or until desired consistency is achieved.
-I then get a second, larger bowl and fill it up with some of the hot water from the tea pot.
-Put shaving mug in the larger bowl that has the hot water to keep the cream and brush warm.

This is an inexpensive method compared to using a Moss Scuttle, which uses the same methodology.

fill mug containing hard soap with killer hot tap water, soak brush in the mug while I am preping my face. after a couple minutes I dump the water, put a dollop of cream on the soap, build a thin lather. then I transfer the hot brush to my face and really build a lather on my face until I get perfect consistency. Shave, repeat the face lather. usually only two passes. Works for me.

What is the purpose of step 1 if you do it in step 5 and also on step 5, you re-fill with hot water but never mention dumping it. And what is the purpose of a mug in your routine? Thanks.

OK, kids, time for more reference material for us all to compile for those in need. First it was Shave Sticks, now for shaving creams.

Here is my technique:

1. Put bowl in sink. Fill with wicked hot water
  2. Put brush in mug. Fill with wicked hot water
  3. Turn on mug warmer (optional)
  4. Go take a shower
  5. After shower, dump out water and re-fill bowl with wicked hot water
  6. Re-heat brush briefly in hot water
  7. Hold brush bristles down to let excess water drain out. Do this until flow stops
  8. Give the brush a healthy shake, depending on its size. For a small brush I shake very little out. For a larger brush, a bigger shake.
  9. Open cream container and scoop out a healthy amount, perhaps the size of a large nut*
  10. Put cream on bristles (or in bowl)
  11. Whip that lather into Great Big Gobs of Cool Whip (tm), using your bowl
  12. If you need to add a sprinkle of water to get the right consistency, go ahead.
  13. While bowl is not in use, place on mug warmer to stay nice and toasty

*I used to do the "poke and twist" method, but I feel this helps me gauge the cream amount better.

I think this is the simplest one. I plan to do this but I shave in the shower. Only difference is I might have a second bowl filled with really hot water just to keep my 1st bowl with lather hot for the 2nd pass.

You are the queen on that one. My wife would not like me using her Kitchen Aid bowl. 5 qt bowl full of lather. What to do, what to do.

Kudos for the original use.

1. Heat bowl with hot water
2. Heat mug with hot water
3. Place brush into mug
4. Dump out water in bowl
5. Add cream
6. Give a good shake or two to the brush
7. Lather away

1. squeeze or finger dollop snurdle of cream in shaving bowl.
2. apply Prep or 3P to beard.
3. run brush under hot water for a minute or so.
4. give a gentle shake.
5. whip cream up in bowl, adding water if necessary.
6. apply cream.
7. stop and appreciate aroma.
8. shave.
9. re-apply and do second pass to problem areas.
10. rinse face with cold water.
11. pat dry with shaving towl and splash on Dickinson's Witch Hazel.
12. before leaving for the office, splash on aftershave of choice.

Life is wonderful.:smile:

1. Hot Shower
2. Put face for around 2 more minutes under warm water from sink, while the brush is getting hot and wet.
3. Pre-shave oil.
4. One shake of the brush an then make up a lather while letting for my face to absorb the oil.
5. Lather up and shave.

I love my life!!!

Here's what I do,

1. Fill sink with hot water.
2. Put bowl and brush into this water.
3. Have face wash and pre-shave etc.
4. Remove brush and bowl, empty out water back into sink and shake off excess water from the brush.
5. Add cream and lather.
6. Lather face.
7. Now, to keep the lather warm between passes I put the bowl back into the sink so it floats. This keeps the lather warm and doesnt need and electronic gizmo's.

The power of buoyancy

Step by step shaving for me (Including hair shaving that I do 5 days out of 7, get lazy on week-ends usually!)

1. Put my badger insode my mug;
2. Start the hot water, when there's steam out of faucet, I put my mug w/ badger under it;
3. Let the mug fill up andgetting water in the sink (The mug blocks the sink's drain);
4. Turn off the faucet and get a boiling hot shower;
5. Empty the mug, letting only a really small amount of water in the mug and then squeeze my badger so it's only moist, not wet;
6. Put an almond size amount of wonderful T&H in the mug;
7. Do circles motions inside the bowl to create a good lather and then put it on my face;
(Just so you know, I take boiling hot showers so I don't feel the need to put a hot towel on my face before shaving)
8. Shave face;
9. Rinse the bowl and the badger with hot water;
10. Leave, again, some water in the mug, this time maybe twice the amount I use for my face;
11. put some Headblade shaving cream in the mug (again, twice the amount I would use for my face);
12. Build more lather;
13. Apply shaving cream all over my head (This part feels sooooo good!);
14. For my head, I use my Gillette power fusion thingy, the orange shaking one with five blades cartridge);
15. Shave all the head against the grain;
16. Rinse my head and face with cold water;
17. Apply some Headblade Matte Headlube on my head;
18. Apply another aftershave on my face (depends of my mood I guess);
19. Sometimes I put T&H aftershave in cream in my face before putting a liquid aftershave. In this case, I put the aftershave basically only for the scent.

That's about it!

I use Trumpers soap in a bowl and a DOVO olive wood brush.

1. Prep my face with either (a) a shower, or (b) wash with hot water and soap
2. Run my brush under the tap with the hottest water
3. Point the brush down and let the excess water run off the brush.
4. Swirl the brush in the soap until it is loaded with soap.
5. Wet face if required and lather directly on the face. I lather for 45 seconds or so.

I easily have enough lather on the brush for four passes.

I have a pretty simple approach too. I will do as dreadpirate if Im using the soap but for creams.

1) In the shower I let the steam and hot water get it prepped
2) Run my brush right under the hot shower head (it is hotter at the core of the head)
3) Ring out excess water, I like to get rid of a good amount of water as I can't get lather with too much water.
4) Add cream to brush head and lather on my hand to BUILD it, then I apply to my face and continue lathering til its rich and creamy. Takes about 1-2 minutes.

1) Put brush in Moss scuttle and fill both compartments with hot water
2)Wash face with Musgo pre-shave face wash and rinse off
3)Have a hot shower
4)Drain scuttle and refill bottom compartment only with hot water
5)Shake out water from the brush and give it a couple swirls in the tub of shave cream(just enough to coat the brushes bristles, almond sized amount seems too much to me)
6)Face lather for 2 minutes
7)Shave leaving the brush in the scuttle between passes
8)Warm rinse off, followed by cold rinse down and alum block then cold rinse off
9)Thayers witchazel
10)Aftershave balm and colonge

1. Fill sink with hot water from tap. Dunk in brush and bowl. Let simmer for a few minutes, occasionally pumping the brush to press out all the air bubbles.
  2. Take out bowl, let most water flow away. Give brush a fair shake so that it's damp-dry.
  3. Either press the brush into pot of cream until there's sufficient cream on the hairs, or squeeze out what I need from a tube.
  4. Begin building lather, but do not add water just yet. Do that after the cream has become a very concentrated, smooth lather.
  5. Continue adding water and building until desired consistency is achieved.
  6. Do not warm the bowl, as many lathers become unstable at elevated temperatures and thus require a re-build halfway through the shave.
  7. Moisten face with warm water straight from the tap, than dab dry somewhat sloppily before applying lather, otherwise the brush soaks up too much moisture, and ruins the lather in the bowl over the course of the shave.
  8. Shave!

1. Heat water to boiling in electric water heater
2. Pour water into shaving mug and insert brush
3. Close drain and pour water in sink
4. Splash face with hot water
5. Dump water from mug and refill
6. Apply pre-shave oil
7. Shake brush of excess water and empty mug
8. Put 1/4 tsp of shaving cream in mug
9. Swirl brush clockwise 4-5 times, then counter, back to clockwise, and so on
10. Apply lather with circular motion to face
11. Shave for 2-3 passes reapplying lather after each pass
12. Splash face with cold water and pat dry
13. Apply Anthony Logistics ingrown hair treatment
14. Wait 5 minutes and apply aftershave
15. Clean up sink and shaving paraphernalia

Nothing fancy here. Simply wash face with unscented Dove moisturing soap using medium to almost hot water opening the skin pores and softening the whiskers. Hot rinse water expands my neck skin pores too much prior to shaving. I rinse soap off using luke warm water to reduce irritation of skin. Next I apply Barbasol Original shaving cream with hand ATG to lift the whiskers and finally shave.

Top Bottom