What's new

Post your razor blade comparison chart!

I'd be interested to see anyone else's comparison charts.
I know YMMV with blades more than virtually any other aspect of shaving, but still - it's interesting to compare & contrast.

My criteria are scored out of 5, after at least 5x 3-pass shaves all done using a DE89 which is a fairly mild, smooth razor so that the blades were given a fair shot.
I only used less testing on those blades which caused bad irritation or seemed really harsh or tugged & pulled a lot.

The criteria I chose were:
Price & VFM - how easy the blades are to get cheaply, and what quality do they represent for their cost?
Sharpness - how sharp do the blades seem throughout the shaves?
Longevity - how well do the blades retain their sharpness and still give a smooth shave? Is their any noticeable drop off in sharpness and smoothness over 5 shaves?
Smoothness - does the shave seem effortless? Are the results achieved without any apparent harsh qualities regardless of the over all sharpness of the blade?
Irritation, tugging, pulling - any bumps, rashes, burn or other problems? How comfortable is the shave both during and afterwards?
Buy again? - based on the above results, would I buy these blades again?

Here's my chart so far:
(click to expand)
Razor Blade Comparison Chart.jpg

Last edited:
I'd be interested to see anyone else's comparison charts.
I know YMMV with blades more than virtually any other aspect of shaving, but still - it's interesting to compare & contrast.

My criteria are scored out of 5, after at least 5x 3-pass shaves all done using a DE89 which is a fairly mild, smooth razor so that the blades were given a fair shot.
I only used less testing on those blades which caused bad irritation or seemed really harsh or tugged & pulled a lot.

The criteria I chose were:
Price & VFM - how easy the blades are to get cheaply, and what quality do they represent for their cost?
Sharpness - how sharp do the blades seem throughout the shaves?
Longevity - how well do the blades retain their sharpness and still give a smooth shave? Is their any noticeable drop off in sharpness and smoothness over 5 shaves?
Smoothness - does the shave seem effortless? Are the results achieved without any apparent harsh qualities regardless of the over all sharpness of the blade?
Irritation, tugging, pulling - any bumps, rashes, burn or other problems? How comfortable is the shave both during and afterwards?
Buy again? - based on the above results, would I buy these blades again?

Here's my chart so far:
(click to expand)
View attachment 961113
Great chart, currently im busy testing blades but over a longer period, im part of the Excalibur club, so i test the initial sharpness and smoothness as well as the absolute maximum amount of shaves i can get from a blade. With the lowest blade on your list, the derby extra i managed to get 15 shaves at which point it became absolutely unbearable. The first blade i tested was the South African lion super stainless which i got 30 shaves out of and the current one im testing is the 7o clock sharp edge(yellow pack) and see this blade easily getting over 30 uses.

Sent from my Redmi S2 using Tapatalk

@zygalski
Nice list and I'm sure it took some time to put together. I don't have anything like it but I do believe there is one in the Shave Wiki part of the forum.

On your chart you rated Sharks very high, said the were expensive (??) and would not buy again.

For me they were an ok blade. It's just there are several other better ones out there that I prefer.
I was kinda thrown off by the Shark being mentioned that it was too expensive as well and placed below the Gillette Silver Blue and that having a higher VFM when the Gillette is a more expensive blade than the Shark!! It would seem the VFM value should be in favor of the Shark...

@zygalski
Nice list and I'm sure it took some time to put together. I don't have anything like it but I do believe there is one in the Shave Wiki part of the forum.

I was kinda thrown off by the Shark being mentioned that it was too expensive as well and placed below the Gillette Silver Blue and that having a higher VFM when the Gillette is a more expensive blade than the Shark!! It would seem the VFM value should be in favor of the Shark...
When I compiled the list I could get 100 GSB's for £12.99 delivered off ebay.
I ordered 300 - hence I think GSB's are better VFM as not only were they cheaper for me than the Sharks SC's, but I also prefer their shave.
Anyway, I'd rather hear about other people's blade comparison charts, rather than picking apart minor details from mine!

When I compiled the list I could get 100 GSB's for £12.99 delivered off ebay.
I ordered 300 - hence I think GSB's are better VFM as not only were they cheaper for me than the Sharks SC's, but I also prefer their shave.
Anyway, I'd rather hear about other people's blade comparison charts, rather than picking apart minor details from mine!
Didn't realize you were on that side of the pond... Shark Super Chromes are $9.99 /100 shipped here stateside.

Seems everybody loves those Polsilvers. I'll have to try them. FYI Gillette yellows are excellent in my 1967 Speed razor.

@zygalski Your chart is pretty awesome! I had been focusing on the Gillette 7 O'clock Blacks and Greens with my Merkur 34C getting great shaves. And then I spent about two weeks going back into my stash and trying Perma-Sharp Supers and Polsilver Super Iridiums, and suffering from an increase in irritation and even some weepers. And then as soon as I returned to the 7 O'clock Greens it was back to great shaves with zero (or close to zero) irritation. It just seems that the 7 O'clock Blacks and Greens in the 34C are optimized for my face and beard.

Interesting chart. Thank you.

But I'm surprised you rated the German Wilkinson Sword blade so low. I think it's a pretty good blade. Was your test on the Wilkinson Sword Classic blade?

I would really like to thank @zygalski and @Tokyospike for their work on these blade comparison charts. I’m sure my list (if I made one) would vary slightly due to the YMMV principle but as a newly reformed former electric shaver, charts like these are very helpful. I am currently working my way through a sampler pack of blades, but still find it a little bewildering considering the vast array of products currently available. The opinions of experienced wet-shavers like yourselves are therefore much appreciated. Thanks

Here is my ranking (from high to low), so far after only 35 brands to date: (I have a mild beard and shave every day and use a GC .84P razor and a Rockwell 6c - my face is not very sensitive):

Top 3 - all outstanding
1- Bolzano Superinox
2 - Gillette Nacet
3 - Chroma Diamont

Very good blades
4 - Astra SP
5 - Gillette Green SS
6 - Astra SS
7 - Merkur SS Platinum
8 - Voskhod
9 - Rapira Platinum Lux
10 - Gillette Rubie
11 - Polsiver
12 - Gillette Silver Blue
13 - Parker
14 - Perma Sharp Super
15 - Gillette Platinum
16 - SuperMax Super Stainless
17 - Ladas

Good blades
18 - Rapira Swedish Stainless Steel
19 - Gillette Yellow Sharp Edge
20 - Feather
21 - Wilkinson German Sword
22 - Treet Platinum
23 - Bluebird
24 - Dorco Premium
25 - Persona Lab Blue
26 - Spudnik
27 - Derby Premium
28 - Bic Astor
29 - Derby Extra

Poor blades
30 - Persona Platinum Chrome
31 - Bic Super Stainless
32 - Viking
33 - Dorco 301

Unusable after only 2 shaves - too painful
34- Rockwell
35 - Shark Super Stainless

Each blade was used at least 2 times, sometimes three times, in two different razors. (Rockwell 6c on plate #3 - in addition to the Game Changer .84p)

I am sure most will not agree with how they worked on my face - but this was fairly scientific and shows the variance in peoples face and how they shave. I never have 2 days worth of stubble, as an example - since I shave every day.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting. Interesting chart. Looks like OP rates Kai as the best blade if you discount price. And I agree. :)

Great post and charts.

I have recently purchased a De89 as my first safety razor, along with a mixed blade kit. Looking forward to them arriving.

I have also got a bit of a table set up for grading the different blades. I know it will take a bit of practice to get my shaving right with the safety razor. But I think after a month I should have a good idea which blades to buy in bulk.

Also the table will help to keep a real record as my memory is not always the best.

Top Bottom