What's new

Post Your Pictures: Japanese Razors

How's the shave?

Henkotsu (probably about 5/8", though I haven't measured it), via Telly

proxy.php

Hey, all your Japanese razor are so beautiful.
Who is Telly? The guy from aframetokyo.com? Because I juste can find The Toyo on this website.
I'm looking for Japanese Straight razor, but i don't know where to find a NOS, can you tell me where to find one of those?

Telly is TstebinsB, who posted at the top of this page. He's a great guy to buy a Japanese razor from.

Iwasaki Swedish Steel NOS never honed or used before

Attachments

• $IMG_6665.jpg
    $IMG_6665.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 488
  • $IMG_6666.jpg
    $IMG_6666.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 486
Today got my Iwasaki Tamahagane Western, never honed with few spots that will clean up easy. Hardness should be between 65 and 67 HC.
The kanji on the back means batch 1676, razor #3 from the batch, tamahagane. Scales are in perfect condition.

Took the pics along with my Swedish steel Iwasaki (posted in this thread before)
Both blades are Hollow ground.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

I no longer buy razors for personal use, but if there was one razor that I could buy it would be this one. Aren't there stories of barber's using these for close to 1000 shaves before having to rehone?

Today got my Iwasaki Tamahagane Western, never honed with few spots that will clean up easy. Hardness should be between 65 and 67 HC.
The kanji on the back means batch 1676, razor #3 from the batch, tamahagane. Scales are in perfect condition.

Took the pics along with my Swedish steel Iwasaki (posted in this thread before)
Both blades are Hollow ground.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

I no longer buy razors for personal use, but if there was one razor that I could buy it would be this one. Aren't there stories of barber's using these for close to 1000 shaves before having to rehone?
There are, but are they true or just marketing trick I am not sure, I think it is just tales.

While i was in Japan visiting my wife's family for the last 3 weeks she helped me track down another Tanifuji... about a year ago her father gave me a tanifuji cape 1000 that was his father's and i have never had a razor that will give you the shave that it will... for those of you that don't know Tanifuji-san is the one that taught Iwasaki-San how to make a western style straight razor when he decided to start making them. Anyway she helped me with a 12 hour internet search that lead to this Tanifuji Robusto 216, the blade shape and profile are identical to the Cape 1000 that i got from her father. the only difernce oi have noticed is that the monkey tail on the Robusto is a little bit thicker than the cape and it has a white handle vs a black . When it arrived i got a surprise... she did not tell me that it was NOS ... still in the box and has never been sharpened or used. just out of curiosity i stropped it to see how well the edge had weathered the last 40 or 50 years in a box... when i took one of my daughter's hairs out of her brush to do a hanging hair test i was rewarded with the ping that i love to hear from a razor that i have just sharpened... amazing

$IMG_3414.jpg$IMG_3415.jpg

Last edited:

HA!

There are also stories of guys who actually use Gold Dollars to shave with.

I don't believe either of the stories....

HA!

There are also stories of guys who actually use Gold Dollars to shave with.

I don't believe either of the stories....
Considering those Iwasakis are real monsters to hone, may be they indeed can hold edge for longer than an average razor. @ HRC 66 with very nice flex the edge should hold pretty good.

I have only had to sharpen my Tanifuji 2 times in 3 years and I don't use paste on my strop so it might not be that far fetched that you could get 1000 shaves without sharpening...or close to it ... I do know that the Dovos I used to use do not even come close to staying sharp that long... I have not started using my new tanifuji yet but I imagine it will bee as good as the other

Last edited:
How do those super hard iwasaki straights (the western style ones) respond to stropping? In my experience with tools, which generally parallel razors in hardness if they are made well, the softer tools in the 58 hrc range generally will respond better to a strop than tools that are 66, etc. hardness creates wear resistance on top of the hardness itself, which would be, I suspect, the reasons for the inability of the strop to affect an edge much. On top of that, carbon itself, I believe, will increase durability and in order for those razors to attain that level of hardness, they must be very high carbon steel that is extremely clean (in terms of alloy).

I'm fighting a diamond hayashi #120 at this point, and am about to give up with it. I don't know why I can't get it to behave the way I want it to in terms of sharpness. I think it's probably closer to western hardness, but I don't know for sure. I *do* know that I don't much like to fight it.

There is a multitude of other things that come to my mind, in terms of the size of a wire edge as it might exist on a tool, but on a razor it shouldn't be there, more like just busted particles at the edge that need to be removed or realigned. YSS steel in tools, until at least the point where you get into the complex stuff like super blue, usually doesn't even retain much of a wire edge on a pulled stroke (which you might do with tools, even though not with razors).

What I'm getting toward, is does that hardness create a harsh shave if you are too aggressive in sharpening?

These are just stunning. I wonder if I'll ever get to lay my mitts on one.. Beautiful

Top Bottom