What's new

Post your pictures - ERN Razors

This is an interesting thread and so many beautiful razors.
Here are my ERNs.
An very worn 'Ski' with celluloid scales, which despite its appearance gives me excellent shaves.
Ern_Ski_1.JPG

Another 'Ski' in much better condition:
Ern_Ski_2.JPG

and a 'NIAZI' with celluloid scales (the only one I have seen so far):
Ern_Niazi_1.JPG

All three have a half-hollow ground.

What would this symbol be?
2019-01-31 17.23.43.jpg
This is a trademark from 'Friedrich Ern & Co.', a double-headed eagle, wings displayed, holding an open razor in its talons (registered already in 1897). It was a different company than 'Carl Friedrich Ern' (C.F. Ern) as you can see from the place Weyer-Solingen, which is different than Wald-Solingen (the location of C.F. Ern).

Wald bei Solingen means Wald near Solingen.
Wald means Wood or Forest, but in this context Wald is a place name.
It is now part of Solingen.

Just to add: 'Wald' was an independant town until 1929, the year when 'Wald' was merged with the town 'Solingen' and the towns 'Gräfrath', 'Höhscheid' and 'Ohligs' to form the 'City of Solingen'.
So, the text 'Wald b/Solingen' or 'Wald bei Solingen' is a good indicator that the razor was manufactured prior to 1929.

Received in the mail today. Gave it a light cleaning with 000 steel wool followed by buffing compound on a cloth with liberal application of elbow grease. Then hot water, soap and a toothbrush. Towel dried then hair blower blasted. Finally a thorough spritzing of disinfectant spray. It’s not perfect, there is some pitting and staining on the face of the blade and the spine, but nothing I can’t live with. Very light hone wear. I’m thinking that I may re-pin the pivot and get at the full tang while I’m at it. Tomorrow I’ll hone and strop.

Just noticed looking at the pictures that the heel might need some work. The stabilizer appears more worn on the side opposite the etching.

Attachments

• IMG_6255.jpeg
    IMG_6255.jpeg
    544.3 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_6256.jpeg
    IMG_6256.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_6257.jpeg
    IMG_6257.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Here are three of mine. Two are 1720 Crown and Sword. One’s dressed in hard rubber and in my rotation. The other’s dressed in bakelite(?) and has the crown and sword emblem on the scale. Unfortunately that scale is broken near the pivot and the blade has a big smile towards the toe.

IMG_4348.jpegIMG_4347.jpeg

Edit:
Found the third

1463 Vanadium
IMG_4349.jpeg

Last edited:
Hello. Total noob here. I have this awesome ERN that I just picked up at an auction with a few others. I’ll post pictures of them later. I’m trying to identify the time frame this is from. It’s simply got a crown and scimitar logo and “Second Choice” under it, and Germany on the other side.
Thanks all!

Attachments

• IMG_6780.jpeg
    IMG_6780.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_6781.jpeg
    IMG_6781.jpeg
    943.2 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_6782.jpeg
    IMG_6782.jpeg
    968.6 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_6783.jpeg