What's new

Post your pictures - Cutlers to their Majesties

Hear ye, hear he!

All those on the rolls of the most illustrious Badger and Blade are hereby invited to within the realms of this thread and at their earliest convenience enclose a visual representation of a razor that meets these exacting criteria - that aforementioned razor must be stamped, etched, or otherwise marked with the royal warrant of 'cutlers to their majesties'.

This phrase being as a token to the high esteem that our beloved monarchs, Her Majesty Victoria, by the Grace of God, of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland, Queen, Defender of the Faith, Empress of India and His Royal Highness, Price Albert of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha, Duke of Saxony generously bestowed upon a select range of humble cutlers.

Below are my own humble razors meeting this most exacting requirement.

Long live the Queen.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Here a clarification on Cutlers to their majesties vs Cutlers to HIS majesty
Notes of Interest:
WhatTimeWhoNote
Cutlers to their majesties1840 - 1861Queen Victoria and Prince Albert of Saxe-Coburg and GothaUntil the Prince's death in 1861
Cutlers to their majesties1861- 1901 (22 January 1901)Queen VictoriaThe old queen never removing Albert's name from their reign
Cutlers to HIS majesty1901 - 1910 (22 January 1901 to 6 May 1910)King Edward VIIKing Edward VII took over the Queen reign
Cutlers to HIS majesty1910 - 1936 (6 May 1910 to 20 January 1936)King George VThis is less likely but this would be when King George V took over from King Edward VII.

I know I have more but I was only able to put my hands on these 4. Ironically two of my 10 ivories are Jos. Rogers, cutlers to their majesties,, the other ivory is a Mapp and Webb stamped Royal Cutlers ( not sure if it counts) and the fourth,, another Jos. Rogers in Black horn ( yes it may be restored) which has what appears to be relatively older scales and an almost ironing board shape is also marked Cutlers to their Majesties. I'm guessing this one is one of the earlier examples from my limited knowledge.
Like I said I'm pretty sure I have more but I got tired sorting through a couple hundred razors and knew these were at hand.

Attachments

• $IMG_2223.JPG
    $IMG_2223.JPG
    63.2 KB · Views: 1,067
that frameback Joseph Rodgers is gorgeous :drool:

I don't have this one yet, but it's on it's way from eBay this week. Will need a bit of restoration and a new set of scales unfortunately....but I had to have it for the etching on the blade, because it came in a really neat box along with a Henkels (another maker I've been curious to try out) and just because I wanted a Cutlers to Their Majesties blade

proxy.php

proxy.php

Last edited:

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
C'mon guys, I'm sure there's much more out there!

Here is my first Joseph Rodgers. It is a wedge. I cleaned it up a bit; this is the before picture. Having a bit of trouble honing it :blush:.

Attachments

• $JosephRodgersn1.jpg
    $JosephRodgersn1.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 877
This guy had a hard life. The blade is to scarred to polish so I went with a sort of brushed finish. Scales are ivory and also a little beat up. Takes a nice edge though. Came in a double box but the other razor was a Brookes & Crookes so I assume it had a partner at some point.

proxy.php

Top Bottom