What's new

Post your "old wives tale" style cures for a cold.

What works for me:
Zicam at the first sign of a cold. Otherwise, a Zinc pill every day from Fall to spring.
Wine for your throat, lots of water and Gatorade. Sudafed.
A cold will last about 2 days if I do this.

I’m actually needing it tonight as I’m poorly...

Phở

The Saigon special, with more offal than a dead pig and topped with more chili padi than you can jump over and a bucket of herbs

Then a foaming schooner of whisky hot toddy and smother your chest with horse liniment and pull on a jumper before going to bed to sweat it out

The dreams are something else...

jackgoldman123

Boring and predictable
If you go to your doctor and they prescribe medication the cold goes away in 7 days.
If you stay home and hydrate the cold goes away in a week.

I saw a moderator's post way back in the beginning is very similar, sorry for the duplication.

Shot of wiskey, slather self in Vicks, off to bed to sweat it out. If that doesnt work, 2 quarts of gatoraid and a suana til you cant take it anymore (careful if any heart/bp issues and physicians/manufacturers recommend 10-20 minutes max)

Last edited:
Take an umbrella and a bottle of your preferred spirit. Retire to your bedroom and hang the umbrella on the back of the door.

Drink, until you can see two umbrellas.

Pass out.

My Irish next door neighbor says a hot Irish whiskey will cure a cold. I don't think it does, but you do feel better after two or three of them. I tell her I'm getting a cold almost every weekend.

brew some tea. bring to boil 32oz water. add 2tbs soursop ,1tspn ginger, 1tspn peppermint. steep for 30 minutes, strong tea. and some lemon or honey optional.

I’m actually needing it tonight as I’m poorly...

Phở

The Saigon special, with more offal than a dead pig and topped with more chili padi than you can jump over and a bucket of herbs

Then a foaming schooner of whisky hot toddy and smother your chest with horse liniment and pull on a jumper before going to bed to sweat it out

The dreams are something else...

When I lived in Bangkok, my colleague who had lived there himself for many years, would always go to the very local staff canteen and in perfect Thai would order a bowl of the hottest tom yum soup they could muster. It blew his sinuses out... He swore by it.

There is no alcohol involved, but if you add vodka to the finished product you will have one hell of a Bloody Mary!
This recipe is known as Tomato Tea and its the nuclear option for colds and flu.
1 32 oz container of V8
1 bulb (yes bulb) of garlic pureed
1/4 to 1/2 tsp of cayenne
Juice of 1 or 2 lemons
simmer until ingredients come together
sip (don't chug)

As an aside, a very healthy home-made Gatoraide would be 8-12 oz of H2O, 1 tlbs of apple cider vinegar (Braggs or Spectrum) and 1/4 tsp of good quality sea salt.

My dad had a remedy. Take two aspirins. Then he mad a mixture of 3 - 4 ounces of whiskey, fresh lemon juice (two lemons), and one tablespoon of honey.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
My dad had a remedy. Take two aspirins. Then he mad a mixture of 3 - 4 ounces of whiskey, fresh lemon juice (two lemons), and one tablespoon of honey.

^^^This.

Homemade NyQuil.

Or...Take two nurses and call me in the morning.

This will help with a nasty head cold.

Heat blackberry brandy in microwave until very hot.
Squeeze quarter of lemon in hot brandy. (It should spit and splatter)
Inhale vapors immediately and repeatedly until brandy cools enough to drink.
Drink the brandy.

1 oz Cutter Shark Whiskey
2 teaspoons of raw Honey
hot water and a Lemon juice from one Lemon!
Mix and sip then go to bed after rubbing your chest , neck and face down with Vic's Savue

My mother always told me the only way to cure a cold was to give it to someone else. Seems to work. I haven't had a cold since 1994.

Kimchi fried rice with spam is like a shot of penicillin. Heavy on the kimchi. Followed by a shot or two of whisky and a good sleep.

Fasting. It is no wive’s tale though. It works wonders. Just off a twelve day fast and healed a gut infection and several other complaints.
"Everyone has a physician inside him or her; we just have to help it in its work. The natural healing force within each one of us is the greatest force in getting well. Our food should be our medicine. Our medicine should be our food. But to eat when you are sick is to feed your sickness."
-
Hippocrates

"Instead of using medicine, rather, fast a day."
-
Plutarch

Last edited:
The sushi cure is a new one to me! We need someone to develop a whole fried catfish remedy.

I was told you can make good cough medicine from moonshine/whiskey with horehound or lemon drop candy dissolved in it.

Wife makes a tea with:
Dried dates
Cinnamon sticks
Ginger
Green onion roots
(I add honey)

It actually taste good to me.

Top Bottom