What's new

Post your local/flea market stone scores. (There's none left. Tim found them all.)

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
IMG_1020.JPG
IMG_1021.JPG
IMG_1022.JPG
I've posted this before, but here's one I found from a guy in Nashville. Not sure what it is. I know it looks Hindo, and it may be, but it cuts finer than other Hindos I've owned. It's 10x4 and 2.5 thick.

David

IMG_1077.JPG
IMG_1078.JPG
Here's a purple slate that came from the same seller that I got that big stone from. I've never been able to positively ID it.

timwcic

"Look what I found"
I got a few stones this weekend, but thus one peaked my interest. It's a 2 x 8 x 1 boxed SB Arkansas, smooth as glass even though it's covered in oil and funk. Even with a coating of junk, it is showing translucent tendencies.

IMG_0658.JPG

IMG_0657.JPG

timwcic

"Look what I found"
Are you sure that's not a washita, Tim?

Not being as experienced is others, I will defer to the experts.

I do not see any grain structure under the funk or any grain on the surface.
The surface in like glass even with all the dirt and I did not know washita's came in black.

Other than cleaning, how to tell?

David

Not being as experienced is others, I will defer to the experts.

I do not see any grain structure under the funk or any grain on the surface.
The surface in like glass even with all the dirt and I did not know washita's came in black.

Other than cleaning, how to tell?
After a good cleaning with something like simple green it will be very obvious what it is. I'm looking on my phone so you may be right. Fingers crossed that it's a black.

timwcic

"Look what I found"
After a good cleaning with something like simple green it will be very obvious what it is. I'm looking on my phone so you may be right. Fingers crossed that it's a black.

It will get a good bath when I am home next week, I am traveling this week. The stone is all black. Anything not black is gunk and funk.

It can't be a black IMO. There's way too much light transmission. I'm going to agree with David on this one, probably a Washita. You'd be surprised how much surface structure that accumulated swarf, oil and grease can obstruct.

timwcic

"Look what I found"
Do wild finds at a antique store/thrift store/junk shop count? If so I found this coti while traveling. Stop for a bite to eat, noticed this shop across the street, went in and found this stone along with a few other things. Was told it came from a retired barber and there might be more. I nice rock that is very heavy for its size and appears very hard. Another stone to clean when I get home.

IMG_0659.JPG

IMG_0660.JPG

IMG_0661.JPG

timwcic

"Look what I found"
How did it do with this one. 2 x 6 inches of Thuringian goodness.
Flea market find with as found and lightly lapped pictures.

IMG_0670.JPG
IMG_0671.JPG
IMG_0675.JPG
IMG_0679.JPG
IMG_0682.JPG

Top Bottom