What's new

Post your local/flea market stone scores. (There's none left. Tim found them all.)

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
That stone deserves its own thread. I don't even have a guess. Almost looks like a jnat.

Took a blade to it just now. Tried it with nagura as well. Got the frameback pretty seriously sharp. Shaved dry beard on neck wtg and atg and it didn't stall at all. Really encouraging since I haven't explored it at all and was just going by feel

I should amend to say probably jnat unless I have a reason to think otherwise. The seller was asian and his stuff was split like 40/60 western to asian items and the thing is not reacting like any western I have had. Will probably see what nelson thinks of it if he is around and not busy.

David

Alex said it is a jnat. Kind to incredible to find something like that in the wild in america...
Only you would find a jnat in the wild, in NYC. What does the bevel look like off this stone? Hazy or mirrored?

David

We are traveling to Maine in October. I'm hoping I can find a few stones while we're there.

IMG_2137.JPG
IMG_2139.JPG
IMG_2138.JPG
Found these two at a local antique store that I have had good luck with in the past. One I believe is a Hindustan orange stone that is very interesting as each side (and layer I believe) has its own speed and finish quality. The combo coticule left a great edge on my razor and was decent as far as speed. No idea of the vein but the BBW side has the same wood pore appearance as the coticule side and has the same white specks. Any ideas on these two would be greatly appreciated.

timwcic

"Look what I found"
Found two stones while running from hurricane Irma. A Thuri-ish looking banded stone and a labeled Tam O'shanter hone. Sometime over the decades, a small bit of the end was cut off the end of the Tam.

IMG_1160.JPG
IMG_1161.JPG
IMG_1159.JPG
IMG_1158.JPG

Last edited:
Top Bottom