What's new

Post your local/flea market stone scores. (There's none left. Tim found them all.)

Keep looking. Razors finishers are actually a dime a dozen as far as natural stones go. Lots of different stones are fine enough to finish a razor. Natural bevel setters worth a damn are the rarity.

Ah, but it looks like @jaro 101969 lives in 'South East USA'... which is also where @timwcic is I believe.

And I wouldn't fancy my chances of finding anything half-decent in the wild within about 1000km of Tim. ;)

Keep looking. Razors finishers are actually a dime a dozen as far as natural stones go. Lots of different stones are fine enough to finish a razor. Natural bevel setters worth a damn are the rarity.
I look but Everything I find is low grit.

Ah, but it looks like @jaro 101969 lives in 'South East USA'... which is also where @timwcic is I believe.

And I wouldn't fancy my chances of finding anything half-decent in the wild within about 1000km of Tim. ;)
I am Not that far from his area so yes it would indeed affect me too... I have a place in SC and in St Augustine Fl. so he has me royally messed up !!

Aw. He’s screwed.
Yes.
I'm in the northeast and i think he is affecting this market too. It is as if there is a black hole for stones in Florida...
That black hole has run through multiple states in our area !!

timwcic

"Look what I found"
From todays flea market a nice Thuringain stone. Measures 8 1/2 x 1 7/8. Nice color, thickness, and weight. Upon closer examination, what do we have here. Pedigree for a Blue-Green Escher. The day just got better

354FD340-7E63-44EF-85C5-1A29221649D2.jpeg
F0ECFDA4-3FDD-4F01-BBB5-14FED22B120C.jpeg

timwcic

"Look what I found"

I resemble that remark
I look but Everything I find is low grit.

I am Not that far from his area so yes it would indeed affect me too... I have a place in SC and in St Augustine Fl. so he has me royally messed up !!

Yes.

That black hole has run through multiple states in our area !!
There are still stones to score. Can’t be everywhere at the same time. But I am a victim of my own success. There are more people hunting quality stones all the time. Getting harder, even for me, to find quality stones of all grits levels
Yeah, he's a stone sniper for sure. I envision large shipping containers full of wonderful stones at his house. 😁
A container would be wishful thinking but definitely a few large, heavy trunks. Maybe a POD, HAHA

timwcic

"Look what I found"
I don’t normally get excited about finding a Frictionite in the wild but this one is special. A three piece set, hone, labeled pouch, and rub stone. I found many in the green felt pouch or box, but this is the first, surprisingly, in a branded leather pouch. Very soft, supple and nicely sewn together, maybe to quote Ricardo Montalbán, “Rick Corinthian Leather”. Another surprise was the rub stone was inside the pouch with the hone. Held up in great condition over the decades, no crazing, binder or surface breakdown

DF781329-F8EC-4716-8BEE-B8F6CA558459.jpeg
BCEBA152-1421-4269-9AA3-389AFC1FC55B.jpeg
E7A47E93-B16A-426A-AB5B-14A9CF51ED5C.jpeg

I don’t normally get excited about finding a Frictionite in the wild but this one is special. A three piece set, hone, labeled pouch, and rub stone. I found many in the green felt pouch or box, but this is the first, surprisingly, in a branded leather pouch. Very soft, supple and nicely sewn together, maybe to quote Ricardo Montalbán, “Rick Corinthian Leather”. Another surprise was the rub stone was inside the pouch with the hone. Held up in great condition over the decades, no crazing, binder or surface breakdown

View attachment 1623187View attachment 1623191View attachment 1623193

Like Webster’s Dictionary...

Not flea market scores per se, but there’s a big box of dirty stones at work, including a handful of naturals. And I had a moment today to scrub ‘em down and see what they were.

+10 Stone ID-ing Cool Points for anyone who can get all four...

789009EA-60C6-42F0-B2C9-7723BB99FEFC.jpeg

3AA1C132-5B3F-45D9-BAC7-B7E246827721.jpeg

B703C4C5-A926-41D6-AD9E-99E7C278877F.jpeg

FB9BDF8C-A578-460E-A866-BAECF24A5A20.jpeg

Man I'm really jealous here. I'm in Arlington, VA area. The only hones I can find are the Chinese 100grit brick and they want it for $20. Ridiculous

Oh. Queer Creek?

Fair guess, but it's actually a Rozsutec. Niche eh.

The jnats are; some flavour of Tomae (possibly Shoubudani), and then the orange ones are Natsuya.

But since no one else was playing - you have won by default. Congratulations.

I don’t normally get excited about finding a Frictionite in the wild but this one is special. A three piece set, hone, labeled pouch, and rub stone. I found many in the green felt pouch or box, but this is the first, surprisingly, in a branded leather pouch. Very soft, supple and nicely sewn together, maybe to quote Ricardo Montalbán, “Rick Corinthian Leather”. Another surprise was the rub stone was inside the pouch with the hone. Held up in great condition over the decades, no crazing, binder or surface breakdown.

No, that was Rich Corinthian he was talking about...Rick was his brother.

🤣

Hat tip for the vintage TV commercial reference!

Fair guess, but it's actually a Rozsutec. Niche eh.

The jnats are; some flavour of Tomae (possibly Shoubudani), and then the orange ones are Natsuya.

But since no one else was playing - you have won by default. Congratulations.

Dude, you gave up the answers too fast. I've just your stone 'quiz'. Work keeps getting in the way of things I'd rather be doing.

I had the coticule and Rozsutec nailed, but failed miserably on the other two. I thought the third one was some bizarre green-colored coticule; some obscure, now-defunct layer adjoining some of that sandstone (gris) that Grogna writes about.

The fourth one is clearly a paving stone from your garden.

Remember, I know precisely ZERO about jnats. I'm not falling down that rabbit hole. Nope.

Top Bottom