What's new

Post your local/flea market stone scores. (There's none left. Tim found them all.)

Russians absolutely love them. I’ve never sold a Norton razor hone that didn’t go to Australia, and I’ve never sold a Hindo that didn’t go to Russia.

Oh really, interesting!

I’ve actually sold quite a few Hindos back to people in the US. They’re surprisingly good stones for bevel polishing as well as sharpening. Put most Aoto to shame at a fraction of the price!

Frictionites are the ones that are all hype to lap. I lapped 3 in a day once including a bowed one. You lap the coarse first and get mud from the 00 under the thing and once you do never let it go, just keep refreshing it to a workable texture and the thing rains material. Once you rough them all in you can fine tune and dress.

I sold a massive (and I mean massive) brick of hindo to a chef in China once. He must have learned about them here...

So I got this for the cast iron case. It is the first 'blind' stone purchase I have made.
Anyone want to take a guess about the stone?
If you squint at the label remnant it seems to be the end of the word India
IMG_20221110_180644.jpg
IMG_20221110_181452.jpg
IMG_20221110_182025.jpg
IMG_20221110_180708.jpg

Legion

Staff member
Oliver's Oilstone Box! Superb pickup!!!
Use kerosene only. That’s a bit of an unusual instruction. I mean, Kero would work, but you don’t often see it as the explicit medium.

I have a jar of 50/50 kero and paraffin that I made up as honing juice, but don’t use it because the wife won’t accept the smell.

I really wasn't sure what to hope for from this one. I was thinking maybe a washita.
It doesn't really matter as the case was too cool to let it go by.
The label is a little clearer now, India seems pretty certain
IMG_20221110_220911.jpg

Use kerosene only. That’s a bit of an unusual instruction. I mean, Kero would work, but you don’t often see it as the explicit medium.

I have a jar of 50/50 kero and paraffin that I made up as honing juice, but don’t use it because the wife won’t accept the smell.

Yeah that is unusual isn't it. I've never tried kerosene, but the smell when you get a stone where someone has is certainly pretty awful.

I really wasn't sure what to hope for from this one. I was thinking maybe a washita.
It doesn't really matter as the case was too cool to let it go by.
The label is a little clearer now, India seems pretty certain
View attachment 1554422

Superb stone nonetheless. But will be a right pain to flatten by the look of it.

timwcic

"Look what I found"
A few farm fresh picking as the birds are returning. A Norton HIB-27 with the hard Ark as one of the stones and a thin 8” Washita. Also a thick 2x4 Coticule that look to be a diamond in the rough. Under the funk is a wavy natural with pink blush and several Dendrites running the surface

0EBAFA62-1A4C-494A-965B-D2661B44219D.jpeg
A0F191DD-EDD4-4A5A-8EDB-0B0652BE1837.jpeg
803253AC-0FAC-4DA5-9AAA-4A51D48AA90A.jpeg
2D71FD7A-1BFD-47DC-A908-EC083405B953.jpeg

Not quite as exciting but still made me smile. Has the makings for an excellent kitchen knife travel stone. Took a dull rusty Forgecraft to surgical in about 2". View attachment 1570164
My son had one of those Cabellas washita/ hard kits like that but not glued. Came in a wooden box. They are indeed good knife stones. That particular type of nu-washita likes pressure but doesn't finish as fine as the older ones.

Yeah the blueberry cheesecake washita seems to have one finishing level, but cuts nicely. Not as multi talented as the OG stones, but still useful

Top Bottom