What's new

Post your local/flea market stone scores. (There's none left. Tim found them all.)

After seeing some very nice local finds, I thought we should have a thread just for locally found stones. So let's see 'em, post 'em up! Here is a near perfect yellow green Escher I got locally quite a while back to start things off:

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
Man that's a beauty. Didn't you say you bought it from an old butcher or did I make that up?

Good memory! Actually the flea market guy I got it from said he got it at a former kosher butcher's estate sale.

Local garage or rummage type sale or flea market sale, not picky about distance really.

I bought this nearly un-used Escher for $3 at a town wide garage sale near my home.

Found this pair of 8" x 2"NOS Arkies in a lovely box at a mom & pop antique store in a nearby town for $35.

Good stuff. I never seem to find anything good at the local antique stores here, but the flea markets and garage sales are pretty decent.

Good stuff. I never seem to find anything good at the local antique stores here, but the flea markets and garage sales are pretty decent.

I have scored pretty well at both. My wife loves it that I will go with her to the local flea markets & estate sales. For me its a treasure hunt. Between my tool addiction, shaving, honing and pipe smoking hobbies I can usually find a treasure here and there.

Nice stuff guys! I find a good deal on razors here and there, but the only stones I ever see are those 220/600 combo stones you can pick up normally for $10 marked up to around $40 because "it's old, so it's gotta be worth a lot".
(Wife laughed a lot the first time I said that, now she uses it too.)

Nice stuff guys! I find a good deal on razors here and there, but the only stones I ever see are those 220/600 combo stones you can pick up normally for $10 marked up to around $40 because "it's old, so it's gotta be worth a lot".
(Wife laughed a lot the first time I said that, now she uses it too.)

Yep, I laugh out loud at when an old straight has a broken or rusty blade and/or broken scales and can't possibly be restored or have any collector value and the seller puts ridiculous price tags on them. I have tried to school a few of them, but they only find it offensive.

Yep, I laugh out loud at when an old straight has a broken or rusty blade and/or broken scales and can't possibly be restored or have any collector value and the seller puts ridiculous price tags on them. I have tried to school a few of them, but they only find it offensive.
Yeah, I think the best one I've seen was a Filli. Scales were warped and scratched all to heck, blade so rusted it was actually scaling. But because it was a Filli and they are "rare and hard to find" and this person dealt in them so they knew absolutely, it had a fair price of only $495.......

Local garage or rummage type sale or flea market sale, not picky about distance really.

Thanks. Like many things in the Boston area, the market is pretty much sewn up. So I don't find diddly-squat, apart from an old 5" x 2" coarse/fine India that I was happy to find as I prefer that size. But honestly, I haven't really made much of an effort, and I know that Gumbo has found some good stuff locally. A few months ago, the wife and I made a trip up to New Hampshire for some antiques fairs and I was psyched. Pretty much the same story there. One vendor had around six old razors for $30-$40. But they were in such bad shape that it wasn't even worth it to try to talk down the price.

France, on the other hand, I've had lots of luck over there...

That's my experience. I've gotten no stones ever locally worth mentioning... And one razor score. Typically I see $10-20 razors worth it for decent bone scales, 20-$30 razors that are salvageable but Worth less on eBay, and the usual trash with absurd price tags.

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
IMG_1002.JPG
I think this was my first coti, but I can't say for sure. Anyway, I found it at a local flea market. It had the most beautiful and even dish I think I've ever seen. Looking back I wish I'd left it as it.

Man oh man! That Y/G Escher is awesome! Congratulations!

Once, when I was very new to straights back in the summer of 2008, I was visiting a large local outdoor flea market. It's a place I'd visited for months and found many, many DE treasures for $5 or less. On this one particular day, there was a man with table after table of small collectibles -- coins, thimbles, pens, whatever. On one table, was a glass case with lots of straight razors. I bought four (4) at around $40 each based on my very limited knowledge of collectible straights. One was a bust (didn't see the blade crack at the time), but the other three were pretty cool. As I was about to pay, the man asked if I wanted a razor hone. I had never researched hones, so I knew NOTHING about them. He turned around to the parked van behind him, and he pulled out a HUGE box of razor hones, all naturals. He sold me a glued vintage coticule for $25 while assuring me that he could get $75 for it back in NY. He turned out to be right. At the time, coticules were the flavor of the month in the shaving world, and they were consistently selling at $65-75 on eBay and in the forum here. Anyway, I never saw the man again. (I remember that he said he lived in TN, and that he only came down here once or twice per year.) I've always regretted not knowing more about razor hones. I'm sure he had SEVERAL Eschers, Hohenzollerns, Dreoschers, La Lunes, and whatever else you'd want in that giant box of stones. =(

Good luck on your treasure hunting! =)

Regards,
Chris

France, on the other hand, I've had lots of luck over there...

Well let's see 'em already! :ciappa:

Man oh man! That Y/G Escher is awesome! Congratulations!

Once, when I was very new to straights back in the summer of 2008, I was visiting a large local outdoor flea market. It's a place I'd visited for months and found many, many DE treasures for $5 or less. On this one particular day, there was a man with table after table of small collectibles -- coins, thimbles, pens, whatever. On one table, was a glass case with lots of straight razors. I bought four (4) at around $40 each based on my very limited knowledge of collectible straights. One was a bust (didn't see the blade crack at the time), but the other three were pretty cool. As I was about to pay, the man asked if I wanted a razor hone. I had never researched hones, so I knew NOTHING about them. He turned around to the parked van behind him, and he pulled out a HUGE box of razor hones, all naturals. He sold me a glued vintage coticule for $25 while assuring me that he could get $75 for it back in NY. He turned out to be right. At the time, coticules were the flavor of the month in the shaving world, and they were consistently selling at $65-75 on eBay and in the forum here. Anyway, I never saw the man again. (I remember that he said he lived in TN, and that he only came down here once or twice per year.) I've always regretted not knowing more about razor hones. I'm sure he had SEVERAL Eschers, Hohenzollerns, Dreoschers, La Lunes, and whatever else you'd want in that giant box of stones. =(

Good luck on your treasure hunting! =)

Regards,
Chris

Thanks, and oh man, I would have gotten that guy's phone number if I were you! Sounds like a treasure trove.

Can't beat those local sales for screaming deals most of the time.

Top Bottom