What's new

Post your local/flea market stone scores. (There's none left. Tim found them all.)

timwcic

"Look what I found"
The summer tour of wild acquisitions continue. A trifecta of weekend flea finds. A Woodworkers Delight Washita Oil Stone. It is 6 inches and is on the side of a lighter color. Second is a 5 x 2.5 inch glued Coticule. Clean surface with not many features. Third is a 7 inch Escher with the older label of the “E Pluribus Unum” eagle above the Escher cup. Cool old label on a dark blue stone.

0C211E53-0528-47E8-AD52-4FD55C236C74.jpeg
C131E2BE-CC13-477B-BFD7-3B26CF214856.jpeg
43CC6FCC-471A-43F6-A41B-0A03B616D8C6.jpeg
6DE1DFF7-9E59-4CAF-919C-7D46A8DEA43A.jpeg

Barber must have really like that Coti, @timwcic ! My Coti was pretty dished when I found it, but not that much. I've found a couple arks and two good natural hones, but nothing really fancy. Those are nice finds for sure.

timwcic

"Look what I found"
Barber must have really like that Coti, @timwcic ! My Coti was pretty dished when I found it, but not that much. I've found a couple arks and two good natural hones, but nothing really fancy. Those are nice finds for sure.

Thanks. It strange the way it is dished. It a double dish but only on one side. The other side was still mostly flat. I am guessing a pocket knife used it

Couple of wild finds from the past week

A 7.5 x 2.25” boxed Coticule

It is glued to a broken piece of BBW, which has some original sawmarks and the original price of 10 shillings and sixpence scratched into it, the bbw is layered and has some awesome patterning
C5928C26-9AC8-47FE-9B21-AFDABA61023E.jpeg
E9632B35-DC82-496A-AF27-98EF6E36F844.jpeg
872ACCE9-6FC8-431B-96CB-BCBCB8487EA9.jpeg
2D6E82C0-F871-4589-B6BE-81DB05187B5A.jpeg

A 7.5” x 1.5” Charnley Forest, this one is one of the finest / slowest I’ve had and puts a scary edge on a razor, but after 200 laps there is no discernible discolouration of the water / glycerine mix

Both found in the north of England, CFs are a relatively common find here, also found a couple of 8 x 2” washitas that weren’t picture worthy (another very common find in old toolboxes)
Still waiting to find my first wild thuri
8320E44F-5AEB-4B93-9768-834B96DB50C0.jpeg
F8E127B2-4536-4A96-80F5-C460AE2EA2CC.jpeg
57FC5C62-FBA8-448B-93C5-F25585F88F8D.jpeg

Last edited:
A 7.5” x 1.5” Charnley Forest, this one is one of the finest / slowest I’ve had and puts a scary edge on a razor, but after 200 laps there is no discernible discolouration of the water / glycerine mix

Both found in the north of England, CFs are a relatively common find here, also found a couple of 8 x 2” washitas that weren’t picture worthy (another very common find in old toolboxes)
Still waiting to find my first wild thuri
View attachment 1005170 View attachment 1005171 View attachment 1005172
It’s weird how these things work...I’ve found 3 Thuris in the wild (in the states) and a couple washita...wish I could find some CF or other good finishers, but still count my blessings there’s been eschews/thuri

That is a cool looking charnwood. You guys find some cools stones out there. Glad to see them all get some appreciation. Tim, you are like a stone whisperer or something with all your finds! Absolute cool stone magnet

Only stones I've ever found in the wild are old synthetics and 1x4" washita/arkansas penknife pieces plus the occasional 4x2" ark. And they are always asking $50+ for the arks.

Only stones I've ever found in the wild are old synthetics and 1x4" washita/arkansas penknife pieces plus the occasional 4x2" ark. And they are always asking $50+ for the arks.
i'm slightly obsessed...love going to antique shops, and such to see what they have. Wish i had decent flea markets near me

I have found a few over the years not many though and probably never again. We used to have a great flea market, and even then stones where very rare to find. Now the market has died. It is but a shell of what it once was. My wife, my daughter and I loved going always something to see or find. Now it is mostly people selling shoes and socks and other stuff that fell off the back of a truck. Along with a few people selling homemade items. Even the people selling tools aren't selling old tools. Looks more like a pawn shop. The few times I found stones was when a traveling vender was coming through town. They don't seem to do that anymore. I don't know what changed to cause this the last 2-3 years, but I miss it.

I have found a few over the years not many though and probably never again. We used to have a great flea market, and even then stones where very rare to find. Now the market has died. It is but a shell of what it once was. My wife, my daughter and I loved going always something to see or find. Now it is mostly people selling shoes and socks and other stuff that fell off the back of a truck. Along with a few people selling homemade items. Even the people selling tools aren't selling old tools. Looks more like a pawn shop. The few times I found stones was when a traveling vender was coming through town. They don't seem to do that anymore. I don't know what changed to cause this the last 2-3 years, but I miss it.

The markets here have all but died too, used to be multiple tool dealers all selling vintage garden / carpentry tools And plenty of them. This weekend there was one guy with a handful of stuff, mostly rubbish

It’s a real shame as I’ve spent many an hour looking through toolboxes and piles of rusty rubbish to find gems, most of the ones I’ve found recently have been from people clearing out their sheds

timwcic

"Look what I found"
Couple of wild finds from the past week

A 7.5 x 2.25” boxed Coticule

It is glued to a broken piece of BBW, which has some original sawmarks and the original price of 10 shillings and sixpence scratched into it, the bbw is layered and has some awesome patterning
View attachment 1005166 View attachment 1005167 View attachment 1005168 View attachment 1005169

Very nice pair of stones, beautiful

That is a cool looking charnwood. You guys find some cools stones out there. Glad to see them all get some appreciation. Tim, you are like a stone whisperer or something with all your finds! Absolute cool stone magnet

I am just lucky to be at the right place at the right time

I know the pain. One of my best markets closed a few years ago. Land was to valuable. Got some incredible items over the years

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
9D38C897-6152-47A0-B08A-2976F98BE521.jpeg

I rescued this big Carn from an antique store in Chattanooga today. I don’t have a tape handy but I’m guessing 10” long by 2 1/4 wide and 1 1/4 thick.

David

EA69FE22-B8B1-474E-B6BB-7D75BE96FE97.jpeg
Thanks Tom. I got home and was able to look it over and lap it a bit. It’s a very hard stone with blotches of purple and orange. A very dense and heavy stone.

I would be more excited to find a charnley in the wild than a thuri here in america. My assumption would be it had some quality notable enough where someone felt the need to bring a massive rock along with them...

David

Yeah, I couldn’t believe it when I saw it. I find arks here and cotis and Thuris on occasion but never dreamed of finding a big charn in Tennessee.

Top Bottom