What's new

Post your local/flea market stone scores. (There's none left. Tim found them all.)

Is that a pink streak down the middle of the stone ?
If so there’s every chance it’s a schwedenstein
They often came in paddles similar to this 😁

So the red is a characteristic of a Schwedenstein?

Attachments

• IMG_20200730_205147.jpg
    IMG_20200730_205147.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 32
  • IMG_20200730_205332.jpg
    IMG_20200730_205332.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 31
The strop peeled of like a banana while lapping it. My guess is that the skin part of the leather was glued to the paddle, and the whitish stuff was mold. The towel got reddish when wiping it off so perhaps there's some paste there.

Had a dished older Carbo-type stone that deserved to leave its shape of a camels back. Went to the basement at one of my workplaces and stood on my knees like grandma cleaning the floor grinding it on the concrete floor. Got tired of the <1.5m grandma laps and tried like, 5m laps from one end of the room, leaning heavily with both hands on the stone and pushing with my feet like a hunchback donkey. Physically draining, but it took 3 minutes slaving like that to get a result that took 15 with the grandmatechnique.
Short amount of extreme suffering. But like a bandaid, it was over before I know it.

Attachments

• IMG_20200804_154939.jpg
    IMG_20200804_154939.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 19
So the red is a characteristic of a Schwedenstein?

I think that's more likely to be one of those slates on those 4 sided boxed "Streich Reimen" paddle strops. Not sure what they are... I think they're just chalkboard/pencil slate, actually. They vary a lot. I've had a couple quite decent ones and a couple I wouldn't shave off.

I think that's more likely to be one of those slates on those 4 sided boxed "Streich Reimen" paddle strops. Not sure what they are... I think they're just chalkboard/pencil slate, actually. They vary a lot. I've had a couple quite decent ones and a couple I wouldn't shave off.
Intresting!
I haven't tried it enough really, it seems fine, but not t h a t fine... Perhaps it was the lapping of the stone that still had its say.

By the way, what is a pencil slate if you don't mind me asking?

A slate that was mined primarily for pencils/chalkboards, not hones.

Schwedenstein were mined at a mine that was primarily mining these things... the "hone" layers were apparently interspersed with the plain slate material they were primarily interested in and so they started slapping them on pencil-boxes as hones as a little side-product.

timwcic

"Look what I found"
Nice score. I ran across that lot a few day ago. Said to myself I did not need. Glad it going to a good home

timwcic

"Look what I found"
Your welcome. A trucker buddy of mine was in Indianapolis and sent me a link. I looked a few time before I hit delete. Put them to good use

timwcic

"Look what I found"
A few new scores followed me home. Two Coticules, one is on life support. A large 7x3x1.5 mystery slate, might be a piece of a old pool table. Last are two Washitas, a No 1 Pike and a combo with a course India looking stone. Nice addition to the rock pike

7F22CB24-542C-4062-AC99-603CFF3CF990.jpeg
6661CC7B-8F76-4895-A88B-66F7ED90CB28.jpeg
25D93E09-F54A-441A-9821-25240FD08FFD.jpeg

Top Bottom