What's new

Post your Favourite 5 soaps and let your fellow B&Bers recommend another soap for you to try!

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
My top soaps in order:

1). Ethos Vanilla Safi (I would put this against any soap mentioned)
2). Ethos Lavender Firm Base
3). MDC any, Original is probably may favorite scent but they all perform the same
4). Stirling Glacial Electric Sheep, mutton base
5). Canada Unscented

Wanting to try:

Ariana & Evans K2E
Grooming Department Mallard
Aqua di Parma
Pannacrema Nuavia Verde
Brick of Boellis Panama 1924

Doug
I should hope so.... I just took a look at the Ethos Vanilla Safi. I do love the smell of vanilla.... but that is a pretty penny to spend on a soap. Of course, costs are all relative: what's expensive for me might be pocket change for someone else.

It does appear to be an excellent product, based on the information at their website.

I'm just narrowing down a list of soaps to get. I've not had much luck in the past, hard soaps don't work so well for me. Currently I'm using Proraso Green, and Cremo. I don't buy a lot of soap in advance, just as it gets used up. I'm finding a dab of Cremo in the Proraso is what is working best. My technique sucks, but is improving. So... replying because, Yuzu/Rose/Patchouli is on my short list. (the others are Haslinger Schafmilch, Sterling's Sheep). Can you give me an idea of how strong Y/R/P is, and your impression of the scent? I'm leaning towards dropping the Sheep. Y/R/P is more expensive, but I get the feeling that the scent and feel would be a bit more luxurious.
When you mentioned this, I presume you are talking building lather ?
What brush and method(s) are you using ?

In no certain order, mine are:

1) Tabac

2) Williams shredded & blended w, Vanderhagen aka: “Vander-Williams”

3) Arko

4) Katie’s Bubbles “Celtic Knot”

5) Proraso Sandalwood (red)

Which ones should I try?

When you mentioned this, I presume you are talking building lather ?
What brush and method(s) are you using ?
I have a silver tip badger, fairly full, I think they call it a bulb head? very round. I like it.
I've tried a few others, a couple of boars, all okayish, horsehair, I disliked.

I don't really have a method, in the sense that I've changed things up a number of times. From what I've observed so far, I suck with hard soaps, and soft ones seem much better for me. I had a couple of boutique ones and they just didn't seem to lather well. The one from Midnight & Two seemed sort of sticky, and I was trying to lather straight from the tin, I eventually pried some out into a bowl, that didn't really help. The one from Purple Urchin had a bigger tin, which helped, and I was catching on to letting some water stand on the surface a bit. Better lather, but sort of floopy and too soft. I didn't like it for other reasons, mostly it itched. I tried some drugstore tubes (Dove, can't remember the other), I think I liked tubs of soft soap more. I'd used Proraso in the past, and started using it again. Now that I was adding more water, things were better. I find the Cremo tube better than the stuff I tried before, and now I use a dollop of Cremo in the Proraso, lather it some in the tub, and then onto my face. I can't do a complete face lather, because its rough on my face, and sort of awkward on legs, but it does well for underams. I just felt if I was getting a new razor, and am mildly low on soap, it would be a good time to pick a tub or three. I think some of it has been just getting a better swishing/swirl thing going. I'm finding that I'm getting better at getting the brush more loaded. Previously I was maybe just getting it more into the tip, and not worked into the whole brush.

I don't want anything expensive, or that is finicky. I'm going to try the Arko stick, cause I've not tried a stick, and there is a huge Arko following that made it seem like an idea. Then, something with tallow, lanolin, or both. And the final I'm thinking of was that it was maybe a bit more indulgent, more of a rich/flower type smell. Being female, its kind of nice. I usually don't care much, usually go for ocean/light citrus/mild flower scents (so long as I don't smell like a lumberjack in a pine forest smoking a cigar, and drinking rum, I'm okay).

Top 5 (well, 7.....):
1. Grooming Dept Pasion
2. Fitjar Islands Fjellheim
3. Ethos Vanilla Safi
4. Saponificio Varesino Felce Aromatica
5. (tie)A&E Vacanza Romana
5. (tie) Grooming Dept Mallard Earl Grey Gelato
5. (tie) Tallow + Steel Indian Bay

A year ago the list would have only had three of those seven.

@Phoenixkh, @ClemsonTigerz

I tend to reserve my Silvertips (24-28mm) for creams. If you've had good experiences with Proraso @desrgrl , perhaps try out Azur Lime in the One Blade line or the Blue with Aloe putting a generous amount into (not on top) the brush.

A&E and Pinnacle Grooming make a very nice Japanese Plum to match up with Declaration Grooming's Yuzu.
I just placed an order for West Coast's collabo with Dr Jon's - Sakura Musk.

Another option would be to try B&M Passiflora

If you're using a bowl, give MdC Rose a try. Dig out maybe a thumbnail sized amount and press into the bowl. I've found this to lather very well and easy for a hard soap.

For a stick, try finding Tabac with Tallow; pretty sure there are still places carrying them.

It’s actually crazy for you to have four shaving soaps. Why would you need so many?
Unlike the dozens some of the people have here, it seems a small number to me, and though I only have two shaving soaps, and have in a pinch used a regular bar of goat's milk soap (I have way less chin hair, so it isn't impossible)...but I can see at least four reasons: daytime scent, night time scent, unscented and travel. After that it would be more varied reasons.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
It’s actually crazy for you to have four shaving soaps. Why would you need so many?
LOL.... I've been hanging around B&B too much.... I added 1 soap and 3 creams: Baume.be, Fitjar Islands Fjellheim Mountain Fresh, Musgo Real Orange Amber and Canada Shaving Soap.

I plan to give the RR Mudder Focker and the Proraso White to the son who got me into wet shaving. He only cleans up around his short beard... and most of the time, shaves with no soap at all.

So I'll have a net number of 6. Still soap/cream poor by B&B averages, I'd wager.

I haven't tried many more full pucks/samples but interested seeing as my Nordost is getting low as well as my Barrbarr...

Barrister and Mann Nordost
Noble Otter Barrbarr
L'Occitane (The OG Lavender/Nutmegy one)
Delaraction Grooming Original
Spearhead Shaving Spiced(I have the bar soap and its grown on me big time, might be one of the next purchases)

I'll go with 1 soap per artisan

In no particular order as all of them give me equal superb shave.

1) Eufros by Jabonman Premium Tallow V3 Base (Rosa-Oud)
2) Barrister and Mann Omnibus Base (Le Grand Chypre)
3) Wholly Kaw Siero Base (Masquerade)
4) Tallow + Steel V3 Base (Morocco)
5) Ariana & Evans K2E (Khalifa)

Sorry, I have to cheat and add one more to the list, I feel that I can't make a top list without these 6 interchangeable artisans.

6) Ethos Grooming Essential Firm Base (Lavender Supreme)

With that being said, there are a lot of artisans in my personal list I would like to add as they are also excellent performing soap bases.

Well. I don’t have a lot of experience with different bases, I’m trying samples within brands at this point. I’ve tried 5 TOBS and 2 B&M so far. Proraso Green was a hard pass for me. I just received 5 B&M and 4 Declaration Grooming samples to try and no. 3 and 5 slow are part of this new batch. With that in mind, and in no particular order:

1. Barrister & Mann Sandalwood
2. TOBS Sandalwood
3. Declaration Grooming Darkfall
4. Barrister & Mann Lavender
5. Barrister & Mann Nordost

The new samples to try include:

Barrister & Mann Cool, Spice, Lavanille, Nordost and Fougere Angelique. That’s right, just got Nordost, haven’t used it, but love it!

Declaration Grooming Darkfall (used it today, I’m enthralled by it), Vernal, Daemon, and Unconditional Surrender. Vernal spells like Irish Spring, bright and fresh. The other two are more complex and need use before I can render an opinion.

I want to try the Murphy & McNeil Great Bear, Nantahala, and Pisgah samples. Also Crann Bethadh.

I also like TOBS Cedarwood, but Mr. Taylor’s, Lavender, and Tobacco are misses for me.

I’m sorta all over the map I think.

My top soaps in order:

Saponificio Varesino 70th Anniversary
Saponificio Varesino Felce
MDC Fougère
Saponificio Varesino Opuntia
Saponificio Varesino Mirto Di Sardegna

My top 5 (in no particular order):

- MacDuff Soap Company "Summer Cabin"
- Eufros "Gea"
- Westman "Ribalta"
- E&S Rasage "Azur"
- Phoenix & Beau "Albion"

Runner-up (barely)
- Laugar "Alvdans"

Since I have a soap collection that looks more like a museum favorites change like the wind but here are a few:

1. Wet The Face Christmas Time- fantastic Pine scent with performance to match.

2. I Coloniali- sadly discontinued but great unique strange scent with a you h if menthol.

3. Storybook Soapworks Shaken- this might just be the best scent I've EVER encountered, it's masculine and a work of art IMHO.

4. Ballenclaugh soaps- excellent soap base so have to include it in a top 5. Scents are wild just like B&M. Have Vanderpool, Barbershop Menthe, festive parlor, hot barrel rose, and Honey Tobacco.

5. A&E Khalifa- another unusual scent that is awesome yet weird and unlike anything else.

Honorable mentions: van Der Lovett Sweet Wood- this one is triple milled and hardly mentioned much but a great soap with a nice scent. TSD Desert Rose, QCS Rose Otto, B&M Beaudelaire, SV Felce, Fine Orange Noir.

1. MacDuff's Rose Gold - v4 is the best base on the market, bar none
2. Tabac
3. DG La Petite Prairie
4. First Canadian Shave Motherf**ker
5. A&E Spartacus

1. MacDuff's Rose Gold - v4 is the best base on the market, bar none
2. Tabac
3. DG La Petite Prairie
4. First Canadian Shave Motherf**ker
5. A&E Spartacus
V4 is truly amazing. I have three soaps in the V4 base...Spring/Summer/Autumn Cabin. Top-notch ingredients, top-notch scents.

LOL.... I've been hanging around B&B too much.... I added 1 soap and 3 creams: Baume.be, Fitjar Islands Fjellheim Mountain Fresh, Musgo Real Orange Amber and Canada Shaving Soap.

I plan to give the RR Mudder Focker and the Proraso White to the son who got me into wet shaving. He only cleans up around his short beard... and most of the time, shaves with no soap at all.

So I'll have a net number of 6. Still soap/cream poor by B&B averages, I'd wager.
I haven’t tried any of those soaps and creams but am interested in most of them. Now that you’ve had a while, what are your impressions / favourites?

Top Bottom