Wanting for wisdom
A Nero Wolfe Mystery - Timothy Hutton, Maury Chaykin version
Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries
Horatio Hornblower
Black Books
The Office . . . both the British and US version

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
The Joy of Painting with Bob Ross... and weed.
He was kind of quirky, especially the hair (which he hated, but they wouldn’t let him change), but it was kind of hard not to like him. Seemed like a good guy.

Favorite show...Good Eats.
proxy.php

+1

I still watch it whenever my DVR catches it. I hear he’s making new episodes. They will be interesting. The first series started almost 20 years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In the late 70's while in university i'd try to schedule my classes so every day at four i'd be free to watch Star Trek reruns. Watched bits of various new incarnations in the '80's. After that in the 90's on TVO, i'd regularily watch Art Attack with my toddler and i think i was more engrossed then she was.

For the most part since the 80's have watched nothing with any regularity, basically nothing. A few seasons of CSI Las Vegas i'd stand though here and there, but to stop/sit/watch anything since the 80's, has rarely happened and been a number of years since the tv was disposed of.
dave

Older series
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer - I thought it was a stupid idea for a series, until we ended up watching a New Year's Day marathon on TV a few years ago. We got hooked.
  • The X Files
  • Firefly - bought the boxed set plus "Serenity" the movie.
  • Star Trek: TNG
  • Twin Peaks and Twin Peaks: The Return
Newer series
  • Shameless (US) - SWMBO and I are rationing ourselves to one episode per day.
  • Orange is the New Black
  • Breaking Bad
  • Game of Thrones
  • The Knick
  • Penny Dreadful
  • The Sopranos. If you liked that, then you'd probably like...
  • Peaky Blinders
  • Sense8
  • Altered Carbon
  • Stranger Things
  • The Walking Dead
Anime
An acquired taste. I generally prefer Japanese with English subtitles. These can be streamed for free from a number of sites.
  • Azumanga Daioh (hilarious)
  • Samurai Jack (originally in English)
  • K-On! (four high school girls start a rock band/club)
  • Cowboy Bebop (bounty hunters, and something of a gateway drug for anime)
  • Durarara!! (a bit difficult to follow at times)
  • Black Lagoon
  • Neon Genesis Evangelion (one of the very few anime series with mechs that I like)
  • Samurai Champloo (period adventure)
  • Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex
  • GTO (aka "Great Teacher Onizuki" - a 20-something ex-biker somehow becomes a high school teacher)
  • Nodame Cantabile (music students)
  • Danshi Kōkōsei no Nichijō ("Daily Lives of High School Boys")
  • Arakawa Under the Bridge (just ... strange. Comedy)
  • Gokusen (granddaughter of a Yakuza boss becomes a teacher at an all-boys high school)

Last edited:

shavefan

I’m not a fan
Older series
  • Firefly - bought the boxed set plus "Serenity" the movie.

Forgot about that one. I binged on it when I discovered it on Netflix. Really good!

Another one that was relatively short lived but I really enjoyed was Æon Flux

Schitt's Creek is brilliant

Last edited:

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
In the late 70's while in university i'd try to schedule my classes so every day at four i'd be free to watch Star Trek reruns. Watched bits of various new incarnations in the '80's. After that in the 90's on TVO, i'd regularily watch Art Attack with my toddler and i think i was more engrossed then she was.

For the most part since the 80's have watched nothing with any regularity, basically nothing. A few seasons of CSI Las Vegas i'd stand though here and there, but to stop/sit/watch anything since the 80's, has rarely happened and been a number of years since the tv was disposed of.
dave
The original series is still my favorite. Primitive effect, low budget, but great stories.
True Detective is my new favorite. Woody Harrelson and Matthew McConaughey put on quite the show.
I like McConaughey. He’s quirky in a good way. Harrelson always delivers.

Well I haven't missed an episode of Coronation Street since early 1993, so I guess that probably tops my list. But as far as modern shows go, as a huge Sci.Fi and alternate history nerd, Man In The high Castle wins it for me! That show is just brilliant! Followed closely by Stranger Things.

Well I haven't missed an episode of Coronation Street since early 1993, so I guess that probably tops my list. But as far as modern shows go, as a huge Sci.Fi and alternate history nerd, Man In The high Castle wins it for me! That show is just brilliant! Followed closely by Stranger Things.

+1 for The Man in the High Castle. I even got my wife hooked on it.

I record Emergency!, the old 1970's series. I was an EMT in high school, riding with the "Rescue Squad". The terms and situations bring back memories.
On Youtube, I watch Combat!. Man, did France and Italy look a lot like Mayberry.

+1 for The Man in the High Castle. I even got my wife hooked on it.

That is a series, that is actually better than the book it comes from. I 've read the book the plot towards the end was total disappointment. The series has already abandoned the book and has taken a plot of its own (it is way past the point that the book ends and the plot runs rogue).

That is a series, that is actually better than the book it comes from. I 've read the book the plot towards the end was total disappointment. The series has already abandoned the book and has taken a plot of its own (it is way past the point that the book ends and the plot runs rogue).

I agree this is a rare occasion where the filmed version is superior to the original. I like to think the series is where Philip K. Dick would have taken the novel, if he’d had a good editor pushing him. Or willing to be pushed by a good editor.

Top Bottom