What's new

Post your challenge rejects here.

I thought it would be interesting to take a look at the images that weren’t the final ones chosen for a challenge. To start it off here are three of mine for February’s challenge.

I spent an afternoon a couple of weeks ago wandering through London thinking about squares and black and white. Though any of them would have fitted the brief, in the end I decided on the bicycle. I felt like the last one would be much improved with a threatening figure (preferably in black, or carrying a scythe) coming down the stairs.

I love black and white, and this format, so I enjoyed it immensely.

All comments and criticism welcome, but please do post any ‘rejects’ of your own to spice up the mix.

Best
Peter

Last edited by a moderator:

Billski

Here I am, 1st again.
I like the last one the best. I think that the ceiling is threatening. But I did see this photo first.

I am not competing. So I hope you don't mind my observation.

Legion

Staff member
I like the first shot. It is a strong, interesting architectural image, and I like that minimalist style.

I like the first two, but I love the last one.

The structure of especially the wall to the right, and the two different sized arches and to break up the symmetry; the stairs. Very well done :thumbup:

Great pics, and a great idea for a thread! The last one is my favorite great lighting and texture of the bricks.

I didn't seem to find time to get a pick for last months challenge, but I had some nice weather and a little time today.
P1000270 (3).JPG
P1000275 (2).JPG

Thanks ninja and thanks for the tip. I have noticed that I do seem to get a lot of horizons a bit out of level. I guess I should turn the level line on when I'm shooting. I have a maybe for this months challenge, but hoping to get something better.

Thanks ninja and thanks for the tip. I have noticed that I do seem to get a lot of horizons a bit out of level. I guess I should turn the level line on when I'm shooting. I have a maybe for this months challenge, but hoping to get something better.

Troy you can probably correct that perspective lean with some editing, ability even in phone apps to tilt top to bottom, left to right and finely rotate, just can't make extreme corrections. For my ipod i use the Snapseed editing app, has to be much more powerful software available for your computer.

dave

Troy you can probably correct that perspective lean with some editing, ability even in phone apps to tilt top to bottom, left to right and finely rotate, just can't make extreme corrections. For my ipod i use the Snapseed editing app, has to be much more powerful software available for your computer.

dave
Thanks Dave. Sometime I need to get some real editing software. For now all i use is Windows Photos for cropping and a little color adjustment.

Troy, I agree the bridge shot is awesome, but needs a bit of leveling.

Ninja, I really like the first and last one. The first one is powerful, but simplistic. The last one is almost perfect, the space heater distracts from the overall mood of the photo. With it being almost in the center of the bottom third, it really draws the eye unfortunately.

Sometimes things look better in your head than in reality. This is one that just did not live up to my thought process. It was for the March 2018 Converging Lines Challenge. I went with the Martin SWOMGT image.

proxy.php

Shutterbug, is that the underside of a tripod?

Yup. Camera on its back on the floor with a 12mm lens. Room completely dark, shutter set for timer mode. Used a shrouded flashlight with gels to light the legs. I could not get the colors as saturated as I wanted in camera, so I switched to the guitar, which I think works better anyway.

Here's a different angle on the piano I entered into the contest.
P1000484.JPG

And here's one of some power lines. I took this one after I already entered my other pic, but when I saw it I thought of the contest.
P1000612.JPG

Great Shots ninja, I like the middle one the best. I like the way the trees look like they connect to form a canopy.

I just downloaded the free version of PhotoScape X, and straightened and played with a few sliders on my bridge shot. Here's how it came out.
P1000275(3).jpg

Here's one I thought work work well for this month's challenge. but I took it a few days before the challenge was announced and entered a pic I took specifically for the challenge. The old would be the turtle shell the new is the grass and weeds sprouting up around it.
P1010743(2).jpg

That's very cool Troy, never seen an empty shell like that before. Would the missing bits have been chewed away?
dave

Not sure what the story was either, but thought it would make an interesting pic. It was about 6 feet away from the lake edge at the State Park. I didn't see any of the missing bits, but also didn't have much time to look. I was walking with my 10 year old daughter and she barely has the patients to let me stop and take a shot or 2 here and there, just wants to make it to the next slide or swing set. :001_smile

Here's the car I thought I was going to use for the challenge. I really love all the character of this car, but couldn't find a good way to crop it. Just kept wanting to include the next detail. This was the best I could do and I feel it's just a little too busy and cluttered, with no real focal point.
P1040004(2).jpg

That car has so much character! I could have a field day with that car and a macro lens. Thanks for sharing another view of that old classic.

Top Bottom