What's new

Post your Butterscotch Eye Candy Here!

Been a long time since anyone posted in this thread but since I have all of the ones I think I’m ever going to have, I thought I’d get them all together for family photos.

59E96241-1DAD-4CB8-BEF8-C749B8FE411D.jpeg
44C684C8-FEA3-4CDF-A7A9-0E29CE8BFC20.jpeg

I’m pretty certain these all date to the first few years after WW2, though the 57 is clearly a little older than the others. It is a travel size brush and it came with a tube to fit, which is still ivory. It’s the only one with its original knot. I just got it and haven’t tried it yet to see if it’s a keeper or not. It’s clearly well used and very soft without much backbone or prickle. In this photo it just came out of a thorough scrubbing.

I replaced the knots in the others. The 303 received a mixed hair knot to replace its original cased. The 500PB has a super badger and the 750C a two band.

I didn’t do anything else to the handles except clean and lightly polish, and then repaint the stamping on the bottom with gold enamel. The 57’s stamp still has its original paint.

The correct colors are as in the top photo. I used flash on the bottom one to make the text a little easier to read.

These have been and will be my daily brushes, except for the 57 which is ticketed for its intended travel duty.

Picked this one up recently! Saw it on evilbay and didn’t think to bid on it because I expected it to go at a higher price. Well the auction ran out and the seller reposted it again with a make an offer, so I did, and now I’m an owner of a Simpson W3L butterscotch and it was way cheaper then the starting bid of 40.

Larry

2EB8A455-4150-4673-A100-5B470DB33B17.jpegD039B485-AB16-4036-B676-51591E466832.jpeg

Does anyone know of a boar or synthetic butterscotch brush you can buy today still in production?

Simpson sells butterscotch color, but you have to remember these brush handles started out ivory colored, the UV light from the sun that shined on them turned the handles a natural butterscotch color. The handle material was Catalin I believe, the modern Simpsons or any other brush uses an acrylic resin instead which isn’t affected by UV light.

Larry

Simpson sells butterscotch color, but you have to remember these brush handles started out ivory colored, the UV light from the sun that shined on them turned the handles a natural butterscotch color. The handle material was Catalin I believe, the modern Simpsons or any other brush uses an acrylic resin instead which isn’t affected by UV light.

Larry

Thanks. Someone said Muhle also makes them.

Does anyone know of a boar or synthetic butterscotch brush you can buy today still in production?

Catalin is not in production anymore. You can always do what I did, which is to get a good knot of whatever kind you like and replace the worn-out old knot from a Catalin brush with it. At the end of the day a brush is just a knot and handle. If you have a nice handle, and a nice knot, you have a nice brush.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Here is my Razorock Noir 400 synthetic Plissoft butter scotch brush.
SEptemper 14-2019 (2).jpg

Great brush for hard soaps with some backbone with reasonable soft tips and will paint lather well also.
Have some great shaves!

Anyone recognize this guy? Found at the antique store for $5 and upgraded with a 24mm Finest from TGN.

7C7534C6-9B4D-457C-ADAE-B9F0CAA16B45.jpeg

I know I should have taken some “before” photos pre-drilling and knot upgrade/installation, but just imagine old, worn out animal hair... The handle is solid and pretty hefty and is the first “butterscotched” shave brush I’ve found in the wild.

E9D284A4-0318-4158-B1BE-569C497EA9E2.jpeg

Markings look like maybe it was made by Simpson. I’m not a brush expert, but I don’t recall seeing this dual-bulb handle style before.

Got one, on mine, I can make out

IM3
Best Badger
Simpson
G​

On the reverse side

I. Magnin & Co.​

The brush on mine has been given a "hair cut", but 3 band badger

Good find for your first butterscotch!
-jim

Got one, on mine, I can make out

IM3
Best Badger
Simpson
G​

On the reverse side

I. Magnin & Co.​

The brush on mine has been given a "hair cut", but 3 band badger

Good find for your first butterscotch!
-jim

Thanks for the info, Jim! Mine looks like a letter H on the bottom line and I don’t see anything printed on the reverse side. I’m currently willing the epoxy to dry faster so I can try this thing out...

Top Bottom