What's new

Post your Butterscotch Eye Candy Here!

Simpsons ... all?

Two new ones this week. One of these, the unknown one, here in the left of the photo, is posted above as well. The latest arrival today, on the right, is a partial mystery.

View attachment 601201

This one below is today's arrival. One can make out the "Hog Hair" and "Made in England" engravings fairly easily, but above them, what do we have. "2" something. Hm?
View attachment 601199

For comparison purposes the "H3" on the left has very similar engraving to the new one on the right. Does that somehow make the new guy an "H2"? Is the "H" possibly for "hog hair"? Hm???
View attachment 601200

Last edited:
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442378146.215799.jpg

Whipped Dog High Mountain Badger

Thanks. It only looks tiny because that H3 is so incredibly ginormous. The "tiny" one is about the same height and diameter as the 2013 TSN P8 Phyl.

Just picked this Ever-Ready 10 up at a local flea market. It says Pure Badger on the bottom and it looks like 23mm. How can I tell if it's BakeLite or not?
$20151212_134403.jpg
$20151212_134516.jpg

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
It wouldn't be Bakelite. It should be Catalin. Pretty sure nothing else goes butterscotch like that

It wouldn't be Bakelite. It should be Catalin. Pretty sure nothing else goes butterscotch like that
Thanks for replying. After doing a little reading, it looks like you are right about it being Catalin. It appears that Bakelite is mainly black or brown, which means it's made out of Catalin and was made between 1927 and 1945. Thanks again for your help. :001_smile

i duno if this counts here or not but this is a little traveler brush i got from a friend who father died. he had a lot of razors and old brushes he had hidden in his shed. it looked like it was never used when i first got it. it came with a metal container for it to. i believe its a badger brush and it face leathers like mad. not sure how old it is i can not find any info on the company. $IMG_2173.jpg$IMG_2174.jpg

Just picked this Ever-Ready 10 up at a local flea market. It says Pure Badger on the bottom and it looks like 23mm. How can I tell if it's BakeLite or not?

run warm to hot water over it until it warms up and smell it. The smell of phenol is unforgettable. I have one piece that I just hand rub and can smell it. Sometimes heating the catalin up doesn't work so well. Then try a bit of simichrome on a paper towel, rubbed on a discrete area (like the base), should come away with a yellow/brown stain. simichrome is a polish so it just cleans up the handle - not enough to take off the oxidized layer if done easily by hand power only.

I've also used 409 in the same manner, but I'm more familiar with simichrome.

proxy.php

BTW, just because it is specifically called catalin, it is still widely regarded as bakelite. For instance:

proxy.php

Not a single automobile distributor cap in the picture. :smile:

-jim

I have a Fenwicke soap, but that is the first brush I have seen (or better, noticed) with that branding. I believe if you show us the other side of the text that I could possibly point you in the direction of the manufacturer. Nice looking brush!

I have a Fenwicke soap, but that is the first brush I have seen (or better, noticed) with that branding. I believe if you show us the other side of the text that I could possibly point you in the direction of the manufacturer. Nice looking brush!
thanks i really like the brush to it just says set in rubber pure badger sterilized on the other side. i did find this says the company was from 1950 to 1960 so the brush had to have been made between those dates. since you mention it was a soap company did a search on that http://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/worthwhile-vintage-soaps.22261/ $IMG_2176.jpg

Last edited:
Just picked this up at a flea market yesterday,
I love how the colour fades as you move down the handle.
The lettering is extremely faded but fortunately you can still make out ,
PURE BADGER
SIMPSON
S (or maybe 8?)

Please Please don't tell my wife that I am now collecting brushes as well!

I'm still try to decide whether to attempt knot replacement myself or send it off to a pro. I'd hate to damage something that's lasted this long.

$1456769321817-487419065.jpg

Attachments

• $1456769648687422771862.jpg
    $1456769648687422771862.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 223
Here's my newest pickup, it's a 20mm Brooks Brothers in a classic keyhole shape. Unknown maker, Simpsons likely. I'm calling the color more of a buttercream. Knot is toast, will be on the list for restoration.

$image.jpg$image.jpg

Top Bottom