What's new

Post your Butterscotch Eye Candy Here!

This is both my first butterscotch and my first vintage brush. I just won it off of eBay so it is not in hand yet. Paid a pretty penny for it, but it certainly is a very pretty brush! I hope it feels half as good as it looks.

$bs1.jpg$bs3.jpg$bs4.jpg$bs5.jpg$bs2.jpg

Tim

Last edited:
AHHHH - so YOU got that one - very nice!

Yep. I figured there were quite a few wet shavers keeping on eye on this one. Although I am relatively new to wet shaving (since this past Christmas) I appreciated the fact that you don't often see such a full and 'healthy' looking knot on these vintage brushes. On top of that this brush has such a classic shape and beautiful colors :thumbup1:.

This ones appearance also resonated with me because I swear my dad used either the same style of brush or a very similar one before he passed away. Unfortunately, his old shaving stuff has been lost to the sands of time. So, this brush had that going for it plus I thought it would be a nice complement to the vintage birth year (1963) Gillette flair-tip TTO and 1-9 adjustable TTO razors I recently acquired.

Once in hand I'll start a thread to report on how the brush performs.

Tim

You guys are killing me. The Kent Barrel is fantastic. I'd love to see Simpson do a full on boar re-knot of that D-1, Rob.

Ah, your post opens you up to hopefully field some of my newbie questions :blush:. So, what I have been calling the handle of a brush is more correctly referred to as a barrel? Also, can you tell me anything more about the history of the Kent barrel (which I take it is what my 'new' brush is sporting) or where I can learn more about them?

Tim

Ah, your post opens you up to hopefully field some of my newbie questions :blush:. So, what I have been calling the handle of a brush is more correctly referred to as a barrel? Also, can you tell me anything more about the history of the Kent barrel (which I take it is what my 'new' brush is sporting) or where I can learn more about them?

Tim

I wish I knew, Tim. You tend to see far fewer vintage Kents than the others. I called it a barrel just because it looked like one to me. I have read that contacting Kent directly through their website can get a response, and if they do have information on the brushes, they share it with you.

I wish I knew, Tim. You tend to see far fewer vintage Kents than the others. I called it a barrel just because it looked like one to me. I have read that contacting Kent directly through their website can get a response, and if they do have information on the brushes, they share it with you.

Glad I read this, I missed the posting of that barrel. I have one, but the sticker is mostly missing and now I know it's a Kent. took me a couple of minutes to find it, but it is the same. wish it was a bigger handle...

-jim

Thought i would post a few that I'm getting to restore in a bit. Vintage culmaks, a Kent V7 and my old Simpson I found in the wild. :D

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 222
Latest addition. A Simpson 54 in Best Badger.

Sadly the knot seems to be in far better shape than the handle.

I'd be curious if anyone has suggestions about restoring the handle, stabilizing the crazing & cracks, etc.

IMG_0581 on Flickr

IMG_0565 on Flickr

Thankfully, none of the damage seems to go much beneath the surface.

Anyone know if there is some sort of sealant that would work on this?

Last edited:
Rob, if that were my brush it would be a shelf queen, both the handle and knot look like they wouldn't fare well with regular use, but I could be wrong (and it wouldn't be the first time).

Here are a couple of my recent acquisitions. I bought them assuming they were Simpsons, but am going to have to do a bit more research to convince myself. The small Tulip shaped brush looks like it was used once or twice then thrown in the drawer for half a century. It has some interesting markings, Meritor REG'D Howe, Pure Bristle is engraved on the brush while the bottom has a decal reading Faultless/ Trouble Proof/ Catalin Safetihandle/ MAW of London. It has a 20mm boar knot with a 48mm loft.

The Emperor shaped brush has no markings, but has lots of minor scratches and dings around the circumference of the brush, probably from lathering in a mug. The hair is also a bit rougher than I would expect from a "Super Badger" knot, but maybe the Emperors weren't always exclusively Super. The knot measures 20mm in diameter by 48mm loft.

$01172757.jpg$01172758.jpg

Last edited:
Dave, I expect that this one will spend most of her time gracing the self. Nevertheless, I do think they need an occasional jog out on the paddock to keep their legs spry (or to justify the money we spend on these). I think you're quite right, though, that subjecting this one to regular drenching & drying is probably inviting more cracks and worse.

Got any pics of those new additions to your stable??? Itching to see those.

Dave, I expect that this one will spend most of her time gracing the self. Nevertheless, I do think they need an occasional jog out on the paddock to keep their legs spry (or to justify the money we spend on these). I think you're quite right, though, that subjecting this one to regular drenching & drying is probably inviting more cracks and worse.

Got any pics of those new additions to your stable??? Itching to see those.

Updated the original post, I knew I forgot something.

Rob, if that were my brush it would be a shelf queen, both the handle and knot look like they wouldn't fare well with regular use, but I could be wrong (and it wouldn't be the first time).

Here are a couple of my recent acquisitions. I bought them assuming they were Simpsons, but am going to have to do a bit more research to convince myself. The small Tulip shaped brush looks like it was used once or twice then thrown in the drawer for half a century. It has some interesting markings, Meritor REG'D Howe, Pure Bristle is engraved on the brush while the bottom has a decal reading Faultless/ Trouble Proof/ Catalin Safetihandle/ MAW of London. It has a 20mm boar knot with a 48mm loft.

The Emperor shaped brush has no markings, but has lots of minor scratches and dings around the circumference of the brush, probably from lathering in a mug. The hair is also a bit rougher than I would expect from a "Super Badger" knot, but maybe the Emperors weren't always exclusively Super. The knot measures 20mm in diameter by 48mm loft.

View attachment 550083View attachment 550084

I love that small tulip with the "catalin" sticker on it! First I've ever seen that actually calls it like it is.

-jim

$01042972.jpg$01042974.jpg$01042975.jpg$01042976.jpg

This brush style has made a few appearances in this thread, but thought I would add my own. It was most likely stored away, unused, as it is in the early stages of turning butterscotch and still had a decal from the original retailer guarantying its sanitation (which unfortunately came off when I gave it its initial bath).

It seems nobody wanted to risk a bid of $3.49 on this cutie, an Ever-Ready 250 Beehive. So I took the plunge.

Here it is seen sporting new plumage in the form of a TGN 20mm Finest.

$IMG_2060.jpg
$IMG_2057.jpg

Top Bottom