What's new

Post Thanksgiving - It's time to make Turkey Stock

Before you throw away that Turkey carcass - realize that there's culinary gold in dem bones.

As a young man I worked in a hospital kitchen before the health care cost crisis took affect. The management at the time was committed to making everything in house from bread to soups, sauces - the whole enchilada. I bought my own 16 quart stock pot and decided to follow there example and try making my own turkey stock with leftover Thanksgiving and Christmas birds.

Once the bird is stripped of all of it's meat (turkey freezes very well), I go to town.

8 quarts of water
1 Turkey carcass
2 yellow onions, halved
2 stalks celery, cleaned and cut in half
2 carrots, root end cut off
2 teaspoons dried tyme
Salt to taste
Additional water to replace evaporated water.

There's no need to peel the vegetables, just cut them to fit in the pot. Bring to a boil, then turn the heat down to simmer and then simmer for 3 - 4 hours. Remove the carcass and veggies with a large slotted spoon and then poor the stock through a mesh strainer. Cool on the back porch and then place in containers to store in fridge.

The next day you'll find a thick layer of fat on top of the container of stock, skim that off and package your stock as you see fit. This is a very concentrated stock, so when I use if for a quick soup, I dilute it with water 50/50 and use if for a quick turkey/chicken soup (I usually use this stock through the year to make chicken soup).

It's delicious, very easy, people love it. When I give a quart of my turkey/chicken soup as gifts, people rave about it. I now have a network of people who give me their turkey carcasses, which I freeze in exchange for some a quart mason jar of soup.

We've never cooked a turkey but we do save and freeze chicken carcasses to make stock like you do with the turkeys, works out great.
dave

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
The great thing about homemade stock is that you can control the salt content. Even reduced salt broth in cans has too much salt for my taste. I've never been big on salt.

The great thing about homemade stock is that you can control the salt content. Even reduced salt broth in cans has too much salt for my taste. I've never been big on salt.

I'm amazed at how much salt is in so many commercial food. Your own stock of course doesn't have any of those ingredients that you need a chemistry degree to understand.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I'm amazed at how much salt is in so many commercial food. Your own stock of course doesn't have any of those ingredients that you need a chemistry degree to understand.
I never got a taste for salt. Maybe because my grandparents grew up in the depression and ate what was given them, and my parents not being salt junkies helped. I much prefer pepper, and use it liberally.

We did just legs this year, so those bones are waiting in my freezer for a chicken carcass or two to make stock. We cook a whole chicken a few times a month. I usually make stock when I have 3 chicken carcasses. I like it more concentrated like this recipe would be since it's a whole turkey carcass. I've started leaving out the veggies and just making a straight bone stock though.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I never got a taste for salt. Maybe because my grandparents grew up in the depression and ate what was given them, and my parents not being salt junkies helped. I much prefer pepper, and use it liberally.

Same here. My father can go a bit to town with the salt shaker, but I never did.

I add no salt at all to my stocks. That's what makes them "stock," i.e., something to be used as an ingredient, rather than a dish. I'll add salt later, if needed, to whatever dish includes the stock.

We did just legs this year, so those bones are waiting in my freezer for a chicken carcass or two to make stock. We cook a whole chicken a few times a month. I usually make stock when I have 3 chicken carcasses. I like it more concentrated like this recipe would be since it's a whole turkey carcass. I've started leaving out the veggies and just making a straight bone stock though.

Interesting. I don't know if the veggies are necessary? I just followed what I learned in the hospital kitchen.

The fiancé and I both got free turkeys this year. I'm thinking I might be able to swim in all the turkey stock I'll be making. I will most certainly be making a turkey stock based ramen.

I agree. You can always add salt later.

Your recipe is similar to mine except I add Italian parsley, and peppercorns.

You can also make excellent turkey or chicken stock by using the wings of the bird.

Top Bottom