What's new

Post shave: what goes first.

What is the recommended order: post shave balm before or after aftershave/edt?
I've come across various explanations favouring both cases, but is there an ideal indication of usage or is simply down to personal preference?

Usually, opinion vary, you apply aftershave first because it as an astringent. Then you apply balm after 5 or so minutes to offset the skin drying effect of the aftershave.
Or you can do like some of us and mix Thayers and aftershave in your palm, rub hands and apply liberally.

Edit: one big reason to apply aftershave first is to let the alcohol dissipate so it doesn't dissolve your expensive balm if you were to put that on first.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I mainly use Aftershave Balms on my face and then use a spray Cologne on my upper chest area. Sometimes if I use a proper Aftershave Lotion I will still use a balm and then dribble some of the Lotion around my neck and upper chest for the scent. I don’t like using one on top of the other. Just try a few different ways of applying the balms and lotions and see what works for you.

My post shave routine is as follows: first I apply either Lucky Tiger or Witch Hazel, then I clean up around the sink and put my gear away, then I apply an ASB.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
The order I recommend is whichever one you enjoy most. I put aftershave on first and then a moisturiser - the reason is that I love a really strong post shave burn and applying the aftershave first achieves that for me; using the balm first gives less of a burn.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
I use Lucky Tiger first then the aftershave. I'm not particularly fond of aftershave balms although I do have a couple of them hanging around somewhere. Most of my aftershaves are alcohol-based splashes.

Top Bottom