What's new

Post Shave Routine

Hey everyone,

Lately I have been experimenting with some post shave rituals. I guess first let's let the cat out of the bag so to speak. Some aftershave splashes I have used like SW, DG, and B&M just to name a few are so good that you don't need anything else in my opinion. But I have started to try to put a squirt or two of my favorite lotion or Bio oil and ad a few drops of the aftershave and the results are very nice.

I know some peoples post routine will be a splash and matching balm by that company. But this seems like it would start to take up a ton of room to have matching splashes and balms. I'm curious anyone else use lotion and mix it with their splash? Or do you have another ritual that works well for the skin. I don't see a lot discussed about post shave, but to me that is a very important part.

-David

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Post shave routine:
  1. Rinse SR under running hot water and dry with towel, not touching bevel/edge.
  2. Strop blade on denim strop about 5 to 10 laps.
  3. Rinse brush and shake/towel dry.
  4. Thoroughly rinse face with warm water to remove all traces of shaving soap and pat dry with towel.
  5. Splash on after-shave, a premix of 20% Dickenson's witch hazel and 80% Wahl bay rum.
  6. Dry SR inside and out with toilet paper.
  7. Maintain blade on diamond pasted balsa, coticule or Cnat.
  8. Apply Renaissance wax to blade and polish.
  9. Put all gear away.

Dave,

There is a train of thought that aftershave lotions containing alcohol generally should be avoided. The idea, I understand, is alcohol on the skin is drying and is not nourishing.

I did a custom aftershave this morning. I put one drop of massage oil in the palm of one hand, added a scant 1/2 t. of witch hazel, rubbed my hands together thoroughly, and applied the mixture to my face.

The result was phenomenal. My face has never felt smoother or happier.

My aftershave routine varies quite a bit on what I put on my face after the final cold water rinse. What doesn't vary is taking apart or opening the razor, removing the blade and rinsing everything under hot water. The blade is patted dry and the razor is rubbed dry, both with a microfiber cloth. Then everything else (brush, bowl, counter, etc.) is cleaned and dried or, in the case of the brush, put away on its stand to dry. I keep my tools and workspace clean and tidy.

As to the face, some days it's an after shave balm or splash alone. Other days, it's Neutrogena Hydro Boost gel followed by/or blended with the aforementioned. I always use something following a shave.

I typically mix my splash with Nivea Sensitive balm. I put a pea or almond-sized dab in my hand then add some splash, mix, and apply. Works well for me and is pretty easy.

I use witch hazel after every shave, mostly just the extract, but occassionally in Speick Aftershave (the only splash I use). Then I use a mosituriser (Sukin), or less frequently a Stirling scented balm. If I don't use Speick or a scented balm, I may use a cologne.

So the fundamentals for me are a) always use witch hazel, and b) always use a moisturiser/balm.

Some aftershave splashes I have used like SW, DG, and B&M just to name a few are so good that you don't need anything else in my opinion.
What are those?
I always finish with Nivea balm and Proraso Green on most days. The daily balm treatment or any suitable moisturiser keeps the skin supple.

Face rinse, Thayer’s witchhazel, Trumper’s Skin Food followed by an eau de parfum of choice (all a similar scent).

I tend to pair soaps with their accompanying aftershaves. I'm a big SW fan and have many combinations which of course take up a lot of space. I've recently purchased their unscented soap. I'm thinking that I just might use that and simply finish with whatever aftershave I feel like on any given day.
Here is what's on the shaving menu for today:
Thursday November 3, 2022
Brush: Simpson T3 Trafalgar
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper Bowl
Lather: Southern Witchcrafts Valley of Ashes
Razor: Henson AL13 +++
Blade: Personna Platinum (1)
IMG_1598.jpg

Pretty much the same every time:
  • Warm water face rinse to remove all soap
  • Cold water face rinse pre-alum
  • Alum
  • Rinse and dry tools while alum is drying
  • Cold water face rinse post-alum
  • Pat face dry with microfiber towel
  • Aftershave. Homemade heavy on alcohol/menthol/citrus, or Fine Snakebite, or Speick, or Proraso Green spiked with menthol
  • Final step -- obtain wife's approval of stunning results

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
I don’t use anything post shave. Just rinse with warm water. I do however feel my skin is receiving the benefit of the quality soaps I SR shave with. I have experimented with various post shave products and for my skin type and humid climate where I live, haven't experienced much discernible differences. In the early days I used the occasional post shave soother for irritation, but that is no longer an issue. I’ll use a splash for fragrance, but not on my face.

Here's mine:

• Wash soap off my face with warm water, followed by a cold water rinse.
  • Rinse razor, disassemble if a three piece SS razor.
  • Rinse out brush and rub off excess water on my bath towel.
  • Apply WH.
  • Apply an AS balm.
  • Apply AS splash or cologne.

I finish with a cold water wash, then a splash. During the winter or if my skin is dry I apply a moisturizer.
This.

Keep it simple. Right now, for medical reasons (eye), I'm just following with water and don't see any difference in my skin.

Before that, I was just rinse and use RR Aftershave wax.

I tend to pair soaps with their accompanying aftershaves. I'm a big SW fan and have many combinations which of course take up a lot of space. I've recently purchased their unscented soap. I'm thinking that I just might use that and simply finish with whatever aftershave I feel like on any given day.
Here is what's on the shaving menu for today:
Thursday November 3, 2022
Brush: Simpson T3 Trafalgar
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper Bowl
Lather: Southern Witchcrafts Valley of Ashes
Razor: Henson AL13 +++
Blade: Personna Platinum (1)
View attachment 1550726
How do you like Valley of the Ashes? I keep wanting to buy the set but those scent notes are scaring me.

What are those?
I always finish with Nivea balm and Proraso Green on most days. The daily balm treatment or any suitable moisturiser keeps the skin supple.
They are companies that make fantastic soap and splashes. Southern Witchcraft, Declaration Grooming and Barista & Mann.

Post shave:
cold water rinse
witch hazel
aftershave of choice
rinse whatever safety razor & blade I am using in hot water and leave the blade in the razor to dry for later use

Top Bottom