What's new

Post shave breakouts?

I haven't had this problem since my early 20's and am hoping that someone has a simple suggestion. Over the past few weeks I have been experiencing an increased amount of igrown hairs and acne which I am attributing to a longer term effect of the change from cartridge shaving to DE and all of my past product use to new products. Around this time I have changed my face wash, after shave, 3 different blades, and a moisturizer. The area on both cheeks and just under my jaw line has begun to break out pretty badly with large red bumps, some of them look like pimples and others are just red and irritated. I am not using any pressure when I shave and generally take my time. I didn't have these issues the first 3 or 4 weeks into DE. No nicks, weepers, or razor burn either.
I am currently using the Neutrogena mentholated naturals and the pre shave facial scrub. I like both as they lave my face feeling clean but haven't seen any immediate benefits in regard to improved skin clarity or acne reduction. I have for the first time in my life begun washing at night and applying a moisturizer as well and have worked an ASB (AOS sandalwood) into my morning routine hoping that softening my skin would help with the ingrowns.
It has been about two weeks since this began and the original bumps are all still present. I have also tried an aspirin mask as suggested in the Mantic video. Am I being to impatient or should I expect quicker results from what I am doing? Will my face adjust and it go away on its own? Help!!!!

Also, I am shaving WTGx2 passes and 1 XTG for a finish up. Lately I have reduced to 2 WTG passes and a little buffing on the stubborn stuff.

I have been having this issue, too (breakouts, at least). I will say to just keep washing well and stick with it. It gets better I find. Also, if you eat lots of greasy foods, cutting down can help.

I was using feather blades for about a year and then started getting ingrowns on my neck. Now I use Gillette 7'oclocks which are slightly less sharp and the problem went away. Also, I was getting ingrown below and down the corners of my lips so I always go lightly there and it cleared up.

Know your face and be on the lookout.

I just discovered that I was having a reaction to my shave soap, maybe take a look at switching to another product and see if it helps. I got a lot of "rash" but I also started getting bumps, which clued me in to the idea that it wasn't my shaving technique.

Skip the scrub,the moisturizer and the ASB for now. Grab some witch hazel as an after shave. You may want to pick up a soap that has no SLS in it, as this can cause problems for some people. Keep us informed of your progress.

I think I have narrowed this problem down to an adverse reaction to some strong antibiotics that I am taking (cipro). That combined with the change in facial products has apparently been to much as they were all in the same 2 day period. I have 3 days left on the meds so hopefully I'll start to see some relief soon. I'll post back if that takes care of it. Thank you for all of the replies.

Skip the scrub,the moisturizer and the ASB for now. Grab some witch hazel as an after shave. You may want to pick up a soap that has no SLS in it, as this can cause problems for some people. Keep us informed of your progress.

+1 on the witch hazel. Since I started using it about 4 or 5 months ago, I have hardly had a zit.

When in doubt try the K.I.S.S. principal and cut out some products. I narrowed it down to ASB causing my bumps. I now wash my face before shaving with only Neutrogena soap and finish with a splash or two of witch hazel and a mild aftershave that absorbs quickly and doesn't leave a film that hangs around for hours. Captain's Choice bay rum or any of the Ogallala bay rum AS work best for me. Don't be afraid to change things up until you find what works for you.

Got an update from a dermatologist. I have folliculitis which was spurred by the strength of the antibiotic I was taking. It basically killed ALL of the good bacteria in my body to include that in the oils on my face which, after a shave, made me more succceptable to staph in the folicles. Not fun and NOT attractive. I have about 40 huge whiteheads and a boil on my jaw. Lesson learned.
I am def going to be using witch hazel from now on though even if only for the anticeptic properties.

Top Bottom