What's new
    As per our long standing policy of not permitting medical advice on the forum - all threads concerning the Coronavirus will be locked.
    For more info on the coronavirus please see the link below:
    https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nCoV/summary.html

Post Reactions on a Trial Basis

Toothpick

TACO HOUND
Greetings All,

We are continually trying to improve the user experience here at the B&B and we’ve decided to implement Post Reactions.
Everyone now has the ability to “like” posts and/or react to posts with an assortment of different emoji reactions.

This will be implemented on a 30 day trial. At which point we will decide if it has enhanced or hindered the user experience.

Thank you for your continued support as we improve the B&B!

Below is a guide on how to turn off alerts for Post Reactions should you wish to do so

Step 1 -

Click on the Alerts Bell at the top of any page

Step 2 -

Click on Preferences

Step 3 -

Scroll through the preferences and untick any box that reads “Reacts to....”.

D2C7900A-52E1-407C-9712-0A0DB1C29B58.jpeg

3DE88022-8C3F-46BC-B888-269EF235479B.jpeg

I agree with the prior reasoning on why there isn’t a “Like” button on B & B. I believe it discourages discussion. There are other forums, & FB as well, that have the “Like” button. I’m not interested in accumulating points or getting my daily dose of social media. I come to B & B for the gentlemanly discussion. I consider B & B different because discussion is encouraged. I believe if the "Like" button remains, the number of participants in discussions will drop. I appreciate the work of the mods, & thank you for trying this out. If you're interested in members opinions, I cast my lot with those opposed.

I agree with the prior reasoning on why there isn’t a “Like” button on B & B. I believe it discourages discussion. There are other forums, & FB as well, that have the “Like” button. I’m not interested in accumulating points or getting my daily dose of social media. I come to B & B for the gentlemanly discussion. I consider B & B different because discussion is encouraged. I believe if the "Like" button remains, the number of participants in discussions will drop. I appreciate the work of the mods, & thank you for trying this out. If you're interested in members opinions, I cast my lot with those opposed.

Well said.

KeenDogg

Social Media Guru
Contributor
Ambassador
Time will tell. I dont see a reason for it but maybe I'll think differently after I see how it goes. Thanks for always trying to do good for the membership guys!

I'll agree with what a few others have said. The emojis kind of discourage real conversation...its easy to hit an emoji and not add anything to the conversation...I'm sure people will use them, I use them. But I actually want to hear people's opinions and not just a smiling emoji. Maybe if we could just have the emojis in things like SOTD threads?

djh

Moderator Emeritus
Thanks for the feedback chaps. We are trying something new (on a trial basis) and your input and participation will help to decide whether or not this change will be implemented permanently.

Seveneighth

Contributor
Ambassador
I like the initiative. I feel it provides a discrete way to acknowledge someone's post. But can see the opposing argument.

nemo

Cheaper than ink
Moderator Emeritus
I was saddened when I noticed it and don't feel I'll be using it. I feel it kind of cheapens the B&B experience.

Don't like.

+1 David says it well ..

I've posted on this topic elsewhere, but as I am not clear with respect to which thread is being listened to, I'll repeat myself. I dislike the Like button; absent a corresponding Dislike Option it is meaningless. And the junior high-esque popularity contest with a button is contrary to what I've found attractive at B&B - thoughtful, open, mature communication. Pushing a single button is none of those .. and adds no value to a conversation

It would be helpful if the Mod Team would share what metrics will be used to decide the outcome after 30 days. Hopefully it won't be left to how many "Likes" the test balloon receives ..

One final thought - is there an individual option to NOT have one's words subject to the button treatment?

I'm for it. Sometimes it is just nice to show appreciation to someone without having to waste space and time typing out a response that can be said with a good [like]. Just another tool in your arsenal for communication.
No reply on B+B is ever a waste of space or time..... that's what makes this place so special.