What's new

Post post shave irritation

Wonder what you guys think and if anyone else has the same problem. I can get a DFS with no irritation, cuts, nicks, or weepers. Usually use Pinaud Clubman but sometimes Aqua Velva Blue Ice. To my knowledge both of those AS have alcohol and there is minimal sting if any at all with the application.

If I do any physical activity where I start to sweat I will get red irritation on my neck. This could be an hour to 9-10 hours after shaving. If I cool off and dry off it goes away.

Is my technique in need of any improvement or is this more of a biology issue with sweat and PH and what have you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I get this also. I can shave at 6am and go for a run at 6pm and still get a feeling of irritation occur on the neck.
After a shower, it feels lots better.
I have the same feeling now 9 hours later but i think today is due to using a 37C slant bar a bit too aggressively.

Certainly happens to me, though it correlates to those days when I've been a little too enthusiastic. Since discovering the right razor, blade, prep and soaps it no longer happens.

I'd suggest that a no-sting shave doesn't mean you're not damaging you skin.

I have the same problem on a chronic basis on my lower neck. It has improved in the last few years after finding more suitable razors and improving technique, but is not nearly gone. For myself I've found that the cheap little Platinum Lux razor, with one shim and loaded with the blade of the same name, causes the least late-breaking irritation, and I use it on the lower neck for every shave.

I'm looking for the same solution. I wonder sometimes if shaving before a shower helps. I am going to try that next time. Soften the beard, then shave, then shower and see what happens. I just bought some witch hazel but I dunno if it'll work. I use an alum block, now witch hazel, and aftershave. If I have any luck I'll inform you, also, if you find a solution, please let us know lol.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I had issues with this in my youth; the shave wasn't causing irritation, but the regrowth was.

Sadly, I never found a remedy for it, I just tolerated it and accepted that as the price of shaving. I don't have that issue anymore, but my skin is less sensitive now than it used to be. Maybe alum or balms would help. I never used those in my younger days.

So i had some luck today with witch hazel and a heavy layer of Walgreens razor bump cream. I poured sweat and so far I'm doing okay. I even went against the grain and splashed on some aqua velva ice sport. It started to get hot on my neck but subsided and I'm groovy now.

There might be something that can help, but my guess is regrowth, even if is minimal, those whiskers are there and the moving around of your head and neck moves them back and forth thus the irritation, if your alum and aftershave dont tell you otherwise, then is not your technique, it just...happens

I only get that post post shave irritation if I literally splash on highly concentrated/drug store aftershave "lotion." Notably Pinaud Clubman, Tabac Original, and Fine.

If I apply either of them to a towel and dab my face, I'm okay.

There might be something that can help, but my guess is regrowth, even if is minimal, those whiskers are there and the moving around of your head and neck moves them back and forth thus the irritation, if your alum and aftershave dont tell you otherwise, then is not your technique, it just...happens

This is an interesting thread for me. I experience this as well, unfortunately. No sting from aftershaves, looks great post shave, then throughout the day my neck turns slightly pink. No itching or uncomfortable feeling, just pink. Regrowth, like you mentioned probably is the issue and something I am unable to fix.

Proraso white pre/post balm works for any irritation I get. But good preparation and taking my time usually works the best for reducing irritation in the first place.

Top Bottom