What's new

Post Office Parking Lot

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Stamps.com
:taz:

I just pick 'em up at the postal options place when I'm in town...don't have to wait on them to be delivered. I can also leave a note in the mailbox at home and they will bring some the next day.

As far as the firearms on Post Office property is concerned...as much money as the govmt. wastes they could at least post some signs outside on the property. The Dallas F.B.I. office has a BIG sign on the fence at the entrance that says no firearms allowed on the property. That is very clear.

That F.B.I. office is like a fort. Once you go in the main door the reception desk is behind what appears to be bullet resistant glass. The main door is the only exit...the only other thing is the elevator that goes to the upper floors.

I don't blame them...with as much sensitive data that is available there they need the security.

So re-entering my car in front of the post office, I contorted to re-holster my pistol. It’s a pain, but taking off the entire inside the waistband holster is a heck of a lot safer than just pulling the gun. But it had me wondering, how many accidental discharges do you figure occur in front of United States Post Offices?

I though you were kidding but than I remembered that this is a 90% US forum :001_302:
(I am a EU resident and citizen and the only people allowed guns are police officers and this only when they are on duty..having a gun ,even only in your house, is a criminal offence with a minimum 8 year jail sentence.... ).

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Most enlightening discussion. A real dilemma. And here I thought I was OK going through the drive up Mailbox drop off on postal property. Yikes!

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I just pick 'em up at the postal options place when I'm in town...don't have to wait on them to be delivered. I can also leave a note in the mailbox at home and they will bring some the next day.

As far as the firearms on Post Office property is concerned...as much money as the govmt. wastes they could at least post some signs outside on the property. The Dallas F.B.I. office has a BIG sign on the fence at the entrance that says no firearms allowed on the property. That is very clear.

That F.B.I. office is like a fort. Once you go in the main door the reception desk is behind what appears to be bullet resistant glass. The main door is the only exit...the only other thing is the elevator that goes to the upper floors.

I don't blame them...with as much sensitive data that is available there they need the security.
Not being a commercial but you can print the stamps you buy from hone or work.
Our federal building/ court must be staffed with 6 or 7 guards at the door scanner area. And a guy on the street. I know the times we live in but feels like a little overkill? They have no signs re firearms but they are prohibited. Given how they flip out over a cell phone i cant imagine what they would do with a gun. I suppose if you are LE you have to walk up the steps with ID out and visible

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Not being a commercial but you can print the stamps you buy from hone or work.
Our federal building/ court must be staffed with 6 or 7 guards at the door scanner area. And a guy on the street. I know the times we live in but feels like a little overkill? They have no signs re firearms but they are prohibited. Given how they flip out over a cell phone i cant imagine what they would do with a gun. I suppose if you are LE you have to walk up the steps with ID out and visible

Yeah, but it's Federal. I thought it was a bit funny when I had to go to the county courthouse a few times in N.E. Oklahoma...small town even.

There, in that town of about 17,000 population, that courthouse has a sign on the door of no knives, even pocket knives, and no firearms. You have to go through a metal detector, dump your pockets onto a belt that goes through an x-ray machine just like at the airports, and it is staffed by two Deputies (that would be a cush job). They even have concrete barricades at the front door like they are expecting a car bomb to come barreling through the doors. Knee jerk reaction of the county commissioners apparently and spending tax payer's money. What terrorist is going to pick Pryor, OK as a target?

As I said before...here you can carry in the county courthouse except for courtrooms and court clerk's offices. Everywhere else in there is fine. And the courtrooms and clerk's offices must have the state regulated signs, in both Spanish and English, outside the entry door telling you it's prohibited or it's not valid.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Our district sounds similar to the ok description. Looks like 6 marshals policing the metal detector and cell phone lockers. Yes no cell phones!
the court house also took space in an adjacent building..the post office.

I have an enhanced concealed permit. My state (MS) is open carry now so a standard concealed permit is no longer required but the following rules still apply:

It is a crime to carry a gun into any of the following places:
  • any place of nuisance as defined in Section 95-3-1
  • any police, sheriff or highway patrol station;
  • any detention facility, prison or jail; any courthouse; any courtroom, except that nothing in this section shall preclude a judge from carrying a concealed weapon or determining who will carry a concealed weapon in his courtroom;
  • any polling place; any meeting place of the governing body of any governmental entity;
  • any meeting of the Legislature or a committee thereof;
  • any school, college or professional athletic event not related to firearms;
  • any portion of an establishment, licensed to dispense alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises, that is primarily devoted to dispensing alcoholic beverages; any portion of an establishment in which beer or light wine is consumed on the premises, that is primarily devoted to such purpose;
  • any elementary or secondary school facility; any junior college, community college, college or university facility unless for the purpose of participating in any authorized firearms-related activity;
  • inside the passenger terminal of any airport, except that no person shall be prohibited from carrying any legal firearm into the terminal if the firearm is encased for shipment, for purposes of checking such firearm as baggage to be lawfully transported on any aircraft;
  • any church or other place of worship; or any place where the carrying of firearms is prohibited by federal law.
  • In addition to the places enumerated in this subsection, the carrying of a stun gun, concealed pistol or revolver may be disallowed in any place in the discretion of the person or entity exercising control over the physical location of such place by the placing of a written notice clearly readable at a distance of not less than ten (10) feet that the “carrying of a pistol or revolver is prohibited.”
  • No license issued pursuant to this section shall authorize the participants in a parade or demonstration for which a permit is required to carry a stun gun, concealed pistol or revolver.
Once you have obtained the enhanced endorsement for your concealed carry permit, the above listed restrictions are removed except for the following:
  • Police, sheriff or highway patrol station
  • Prisons or jails
  • Courtrooms where court is in session (the rest of the courthouse is OK)
  • Any location prohibited by federal statute
  • Any place of nuisance as defined in Section 95-3-1
So the Post Office being Federal Property is off limits. I have worn my sidearm into the PO many times. Won't do it again though. The enhanced permit allows you to legally carry just about anywhere even if posted. The most a store/business owner can do is ask you to leave.

Place of nuisance 95-3-1:

"Nuisance" shall mean any place as above defined in or upon which lewdness, assignation or prostitution is conducted, permitted, continued or exists or any other place as above defined in or upon which a controlled substance as defined in section 41-29-105, Mississippi Code of 1972, is unlawfully used, possessed, sold or delivered and the personal property and contents used in conducting or maintaining any such place for any such purpose.

One instance of any of the above does not fulfill the nuisance definition. So if you call a prostitute to come over you probably got aids or the clap but you can legally wear your sidearm. :)

Last edited:

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I don't know if this is weird or just compulsive, but I just applied for renewal of my concealed carry permit. I have had at least three or four 5 year permits and one 10 year permit that expires in December. I just sent in $170 for another 10 years. Oklahoma begins Constitutional Carry come November 1st where a permit is no longer required. And when I retire, I will have a lifetime Retired Officer Commission card which will always allow me to be armed.

I don't know why I keep it, maybe abandonment issues from when I was young, I dunno. :) I also have a class B commercial driver's license I haven't used since I was working my way thru college driving a school bus and a city bus.

I guess I just don't like giving up licenses and permits I have acquired. :)

When you boil away all the fat the laws have become so complex that the common man, supposedly upon whose reasoning ability the very laws are based, is lost in the maze of red tape.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I'm jealous. I want a discount at Denny's & Furr's like you get also. :)

You should be eligible for the Denny's over 55 discount. With your PoPo in uniform 50% discount, and the 15% senior discount, you should get a 65% discount. :)

What would irk me sometimes was when I'd go into Sirloin Stockade in civvies before I was 60 and the young cashier girl would give me the senior discount, which is 60 there.

We used to have a Sgt. who would put his uniform on, off duty, and go to a local restaurant to get his 50% discount. Talk about cheap.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
You should be eligible for the Denny's over 55 discount. With your PoPo in uniform 50% discount, and the 15% senior discount, you should get a 65% discount. :)

What would irk me sometimes was when I'd go into Sirloin Stockade in civvies before I was 60 and the young cashier girl would give me the senior discount, which is 60 there.

We used to have a Sgt. who would put his uniform on, off duty, and go to a local restaurant to get his 50% discount. Talk about cheap.

Lol'd That's embarrassing. So, what makes you think I'm over 55? :)

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Good to know...last time I renewed I didn't fit that category, but now I do.

I didn't know either until I saw the checkbox on the renewal. When I renewed 5 years ago I didn't fit the category either. I need to see if they have changed their retired peace officer requirements; I'm only 2 years short of the service time requirement.

Top Bottom