What's new

Post Hipster?

I was in a hipster section of Ingham County MI a couple days ago. No drugstores, no grocery stores, but plenty of yoga studios, galleries, sidewalk cafes, etc. Walked into what looked like a blue collar tavern. Craft beer aplenty. No burgers, but duck fat fries were on the menu along with whipped goat cheese & peach crostini.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I was in a hipster section of Ingham County MI a couple days ago. No drugstores, no grocery stores, but plenty of yoga studios, galleries, sidewalk cafes, etc. Walked into what looked like a blue collar tavern. Craft beer aplenty. No burgers, but duck fat fries were on the menu along with whipped goat cheese & peach crostini.
Duck fat fries sound pretty good

From "No Country For Old Men"
Ed Tom Bell [Tommy Lee Jones]: You know, if you'd have told me 20 years ago I'd see children walking the streets of our Texas towns with green hair, bones in their noses, I just flat-out wouldn't have believed you
El Paso Sheriff: Signs 'n' wonders.​
proxy.php

Perhaps people will be clean shaven, have haircuts that are high 'n tight, dress well, respect their elders and all in all just be good humans. Such rebels.

Hard core hipster guys can be spotted at 200 meters. Gals are not so easily identified. You have to get within 50 meters.

Next up: I have hopes for an abandonment of smart phones.

But seriously.......

Neanderthals revisited.

Since coming across tubs of duck fat in a local grocer a few years ago it's replaced olive oil and become our goto oil for roasting vegetables and sauteing potatoes. Par boiled potatoes cubed, sauteed/browned up in duck fat than dusted with smoked paprika are sublime! I'd imagine the fries would be an equal and the rest of the food and craft beer sound far more interesting than burger ever could.
dave

Hard core hipster guys can be spotted at 200 meters. Gals are not so easily identified. You have to get within 50 meters.

Next up: I have hopes for an abandonment of smart phones.

But seriously.......
Agree. Theres a great little neiborhood bar that I go to. Over 40 craft beers on top, solid food, great service. Id kind of struck up a friendship with one of the bartenders. My friends and I go there all the time after soccer games for drink and this girl is great to talk about craft beer with, whats new, whats cool, etc.
The first few times we went, she looked pretty normal but the last time we went she wore her hair up and I noticed she has the sides of her head shaved and was wearing a tanktop and shorts, so I noticed her armpits and legs were unshaven. Nice girl but very hipster.

Given what is popular on this forum, frankly I think there is a lot to like about hipster.

Some might say that there is always "irony" in hipster. The next step would then be a swing back to sincere as in David Foster Wallace's post post modern. But that sounds like emo to me and I do not think that is going to happen.

I am not convinced there is always irony in hipster. Craft beer or cheap beer what is ironic and what is not to like? Duck fat, definitely what is not to like!

What comes after hipster? Who knows? No one saw the Zoot Suits coming, or the beatniks or the hippies or yippies or grung or what have you. For all we know, there might be a 1890 retro craze, with barber shop quartets and polkas as pop music.

Top Bottom