What's new

Post an ages old phrase you heard growing up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
I'd be doing my homework at the table and my father would walk into the room and say "How's she cuttin'?" as though I was cutting hay in the field or turf in the bog.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Don’t worry about the mule going blind just load the wagon.

You can tighten that thing all day long and it ain’t gonna get any loser.

Dumb as a stump
"I cut it twice and it's still too short!"
I have a number of what I call, affectionately, Dad-isms...things my Dad would say often enough for us to remember. I suppose you could say they fall into this category.

Margarite, go wash your feet, the board of health is across the street. (This would just come out of nowhere. I got the impression that Margarite was not an actual person.)

Those of us who knew him...(another Dad-ism that just unexpectedly came out. The "him" was never identified nor was the thought ever finished. A veritable classic!)

What do you think this is...the Ritz Carlton?! (This one was said under his breath when the cashier at McDonalds rang up the order and announced the total amount due. I use this now on occassion. I've never stayed at the Ritz Carlton...must have been a swanky place.)

The boy stood on the burning deck, eating peanuts by the peck. (This was generally said in an unemotional tone. I've thought about the boy often...standing there eating peanuts in the midst of the flames...maybe it was my Dad's way of saying I should get a move on.)

There were so many. I miss him...
Well said. I was just talking with Mom today about Dad's crazy sayings! Mom said she had happy tears when we talked.

"Balls said the Queen. If I had two I'd be king."

"A penny saved is a penny earned."

"You ain't the boss of me."

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
"You make a better door than a window"
(You're in the way of what I'm trying to look at or watch)

"Put the wood in the hole"
(close the door, there's a draught)

"I've seen more life in a tramps vest"
(said about someone slow, lazy or unenthusiastic)

"Every egg a bird"
(a run of success or good luck)

"More jam than Hartley's"
(a very lucky or "jammy" person)

"Couldn't stop a pig in a ginnel"
(bow legged)

FarmerTan

"You make a better door than a window"
(You're in the way of what I'm trying to look at or watch)

"Put the wood in the hole"
(close the door, there's a draught)

"I've seen more life in a tramps vest"
(said about someone slow, lazy or unenthusiastic)

"Every egg a bird"
(a run of success or good luck)

"More jam than Hartley's"
(a very lucky or "jammy" person)

"Couldn't stop a pig in a ginnel"
(bow legged)
Hey everyone, I thought this guy spoke English!?!

Owen Bawn

When one of my sisters had a date with a boy my mother would warn "You be careful. I don't want you to end up a headless torso on the beach."

FarmerTan

When one of my sisters had a date with a boy my mother would warn "You be careful. I don't want you to end up a headless torso on the beach."
Good thing I never had a daughter. Lol, hope I live long enough to say this to a grand daughter someday!

Owen Bawn

Good thing I never had a daughter. Lol, hope I live long enough to say this to a grand daughter someday!
My sisters laugh about it today, but every one of them says it made them think. They all say that it planted an unforgettable visual image in their minds. My mother had a gift when it came to words and painting images with words.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom