What's new

Post #657 Combe Email Confirming Williams Mug Shave Soap Discontinued

I went by my local WinCo today and they're clearing it out at $0.98. I got 3 but they had about 20 left. I'm not a huge Williams user so a few will last me quite a while.
Thanks, it may take a while for some stores to run through their inventory as these products are relatively slow movers. Was just in a local Wegmans earlier today and while the shelf facing was still there for Williams there was no inventory. Fortunately I picked up a dozen back in December so am set for while. If I stumble on some by chance I'll buy them.

That was 7 years ago and all was well

Hope this time its not true as well. Williams is really out of stock and prices of remaining stock sold by random eBayers at around $10 a puck !

Hi luv2shave,

Combe just sent me an email today confirming that Williams was discontinued. Sad.

Link to my post on this is here:

Just got an email from Combe today confirming that Williams is discontinued. Link below:

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
There’s a history of Williams thread here somewhere which would be an excellent link in this thread, but I don’t have it. Anyone?

Before we cry too many tears, it might be good to remember that the current version of Williams is not the same soap that our fathers and grandfathers used, and it is (was) not made by the same company. The box graphics are pretty close though. Exactly the same situation as modern Tabac except that Tabac’s owner is the same. Different soap, same box graphics, yet people don’t seem to have embraced modern Tabac like they have modern Williams.

Farewell to a much maligned but much loved American classic. Always worked for me.

IMG_20200820_133812_8.jpg

Another thread? We've reached the saturation point, sir.
Agreed and also felt we needed a post with the explicit headline mentioning that the Williams soap was discontinued. Google search still prioritizes the older 2015 threads that cover how Combe changed its mind. Also because of Combes 2015 indecision it was important to share the actual Combe email copy from today.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
My friend @steveclarkus gave me two pucks of Williams a few months ago and I find the soap to be decent. I'm glad that I had the opportunity to try Williams before it's
Oh well. I’ve got few years of ARKO stashed. I’m set. Arko is a much better soap anyway. Glad you got a chance to try it. Same thing happened to Schlitz beer. Screwed it up, brought back original formula years later but it just couldn’t catch on again. Anyway, it’s just soap; no big deal. Maybe I’ll have a cool Yuengling now.

Oh well. I’ve got few years of ARKO stashed. I’m set. Arko is a much better soap anyway. Glad you got a chance to try it. Same thing happened to Schlitz beer. Screwed it up, brought back original formula years later but it just couldn’t catch on again. Anyway, it’s just soap; no big deal. Maybe I’ll have a cool Yuengling now.
What's a good bargain source for Arko ? I am done with all these products formula changes and discontinuation, I would like to stash something current !

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
@luv2shave - Amazon is tops in the USA, but I haven’t checked for other countries. There’s at least one store that has steadily been selling twelve sticks for $12usd shipped for the past few years (I keep hoping for the super bargain of Black Friday 2020 to repeat, but it hasn’t).

Prices on Arko seem to have been increasing, lately. I can no longer find it for 12 bucks a case and even $14 and some change is long gone, now. I'm talking about prices including shipping to a US address.

Amazon also has smaller quantities that while being much more expensive per stick, can be added to an order to get free shipping, paying for the soap.

Top Bottom