What's new

(Possibly) silly pipe tobacco question

So after taking about 5 minutes to figure out how to open my recently-arrived tin of Escudo tobacco I see that it has been pressed into 'coins'. What is the proper way to sort of loosen it up? Just pull it apart and kind of roll it around?

You can do one of a couple of things:

1) Just stuff them "as is" into your pipe

2) Rub them out between your palms to your desired texture

if you search around on Youtube, probably just starting with "Escudo..." you will find a video of someone showing you how to load them. If you don't already know, there is quite the little pipe smoking community on Youtube as we have for wet shaving here.

Cheers!
-Greg

I recommend rubbing out the coins unless you're used to Flakes, easier to light and keep lit. Then once you get a feel for the tobacco you can adjust the way you prepare it to get the results that suit you best. Remember many tinned tobaccos are a bit moist so you may want to let it air out a bit. Moist tobacco creates steam when burning and steam cooks things, like say your tongue for instance. Over-dry can cause its own problems, dry but pliable is a good place to start and again adjust to suit your preferences. Slow gentle puffing is the key, don't drag on your pipe like a cigar or cigarette. Better to relight than have a harsh smoke.

Thank you both for your help! :thumbup1: Truth be told I wasn't exactly taken by the taste of Escudo...not far off cigarettes as far as I could tell though I'll have to give it a few more tries. Might have to pry open one of the other tins waiting for me in the closet. :biggrin1:

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
It's the perique. Va-perique blends are a love 'em or hate 'em affair.

Don't underestimate the importance of airing a fresh tin out.
Moving the tins contents to a mason jar and some time can change it very much. Move on to something else and revisit it in a few weeks/months.

I rub out coins and flakes, then use them as regular ribbon cut.

There are other methods of folding/stuffing (look on YouTube), but they don't seem to work well for me.

It's the perique. Va-perique blends are a love 'em or hate 'em affair.

Yes, I've read about that but hadn't really experienced it until now. I do however love the smell of this tobacco when it isn't burning! :laugh:

Don't underestimate the importance of airing a fresh tin out.
Moving the tins contents to a mason jar and some time can change it very much. Move on to something else and revisit it in a few weeks/months.

Interesting. I will give this a try! :thumbup1:

I just stuff and puff for flakes and the likes with the exception of plugs and ropes. I break them up and rub them out.

Last edited:
Escudo Navy Deluxe is not for me. The aftertaste is simply old cigarettes...for hours. Any pipe smokers in Japan want a 95% full tin? :tongue_sm Next up, G.L. Pease Meridian...hopefully I'll like the oriental/latakia stuff a bit better. Opened the tin and it smells exactly like extinguished campfire to my untrained nose (which isn't really a bad thing).

I hope you enjoy it, I really like the campfire in a bowl sensation and my favorite English have bit of incense coming through as well. I haven't tried that particular blend though. Let us know how it goes, and you'd think with the excellent pipe carvers Japan has to offer someone might take that Escudo off your hands.

Darn...too bad we aren't geographically closer; I've been meaning to try Escudo.

Just a suggestion, but being a beginner pipe smoker (I'm assuming so since you had posted previously you were looking to move up from captain black) maybe you shouldn't rule out aromatics completely. Usually more "seasoned" pipe smokers prefer non-aro's. If you aren't really feeling too keen on the GL Pease either maybe the stronger tastes of Balkan and Perique blends are not for you. You could try a light Virginia blend for non-aro or you could try a light aromatic that isn't heavily cased like the drugstore stuff is.

Darn...too bad we aren't geographically closer; I've been meaning to try Escudo.

Just a suggestion, but being a beginner pipe smoker (I'm assuming so since you had posted previously you were looking to move up from captain black) maybe you shouldn't rule out aromatics completely. Usually more "seasoned" pipe smokers prefer non-aro's. If you aren't really feeling too keen on the GL Pease either maybe the stronger tastes of Balkan and Perique blends are not for you. You could try a light Virginia blend for non-aro or you could try a light aromatic that isn't heavily cased like the drugstore stuff is.

I'm thinking you might be right about the aromatics (haven't tried the Meridian yet though). I also have an unopened tin of Peterson Sunset Breeze that I'm saving until last...just wanted to see what I thought of the 'real stuff' before heading back to the candy section. :laugh:

Escudo Navy Deluxe is not for me.

I would suggest you put the escudo in a masonjar and keep it. Let it age for awhile, maybe at least a year, then try it later. Our tastes changes through the years, as well as aging tobacco changes the flavor. I didn't like escudo at first as well, then I tried a 2 year old tin which was good.

^This is good advice...non-aros usually benefit from aging and you never know you may eventually appreciate Escudo. However, aromatics can be a gamble when it comes to aging in mason jars. Some get better with age, some just go stale and taste soapy from the PG.

Top Bottom