What's new

Possibly buying a sailboat

From a colleague of my wife.
Scared and excited and daunted.

it's a very good condition 1983 30' sailboat, currently on and will probably stay on, the Chesapeake. We'd hope to get down twice to three times a month in season to sail and work on maintenance.

Anyone here have any advice for this noob?

Enjoy.

You know the two hoary maxims about boats.............

Boat is an acronym for Bust Out Another Thousand, and

The two happiest days in a boat owners' life are the day he buys the boat and the day he sells the boat.

If you are not very familiar with boats and sailboats in particular...you may want to have her professionally surveyed. This can provide a great place to start your new relationship.
Congratulations on an exciting time !

Enjoy.

You know the two hoary maxims about boats.............

Boat is an acronym for Bust Out Another Thousand, and

The two happiest days in a boat owners' life are the day he buys the boat and the day he sells the boat.

aka a hole in the water in which to throw money:001_cool:

A boat is a major commitment. For many owners keeping a boat on the water is like taking on another job. But, it can provide a ton of satisfaction if you enjoy the boating lifestyle!

If you are not very familiar with boats and sailboats in particular...you may want to have her professionally surveyed. This can provide a great place to start your new relationship.
Congratulations on an exciting time !

thanks Jim!
Going to try see the boat this weekend before it comes dry for the winter. Will be this year's Christmas present to ourselves. And next year, and the year after that and the year.........

A boat is a major commitment. For many owners keeping a boat on the water is like taking on another job. But, it can provide a ton of satisfaction if you enjoy the boating lifestyle!
That's the daunting part. Maintaining it in good condition while getting time to sail and keep up maintenance on normal house/garden/etc...

1. Drive to your bank
2. Withdraw half of your savings in cash
3. Take bag of money and climb to the roof of The Comcast Center
4. Throw money off roof

1. Drive to your bank
2. Withdraw half of your savings in cash
3. Take bag of money and climb to the roof of The Comcast Center
4. Throw money off roof

I can't get in to the Comcast Center - security too good - so ha! Your plan can't make a (destitute) monkey outta me!

Good luck with the boat. They can be quite enjoyable but also expensive and take a lot of work.

When I lived in St. Petersburg we belonged to a yacht club. We did not own a boat but many of our friends did. We went with them on a few races and I never realized how much work was involved in a boat. Here is a good article on maintenance.

Good luck with the boat. They can be quite enjoyable but also expensive and take a lot of work.

When I lived in St. Petersburg we belonged to a yacht club. We did not own a boat but many of our friends did. We went with them on a few races and I never realized how much work was involved in a boat. Here is a good article on maintenance.
thanks for the article Jim!
I got a lot to learn if I want to do this.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Can affirm, the second of the two days is the one I remember with delirious enthusiasm.

I woke up in the middle of the night to look out the window and make sure the guy didn't bring the boat back.

That said, have fun with it! Before winter.

AA

+1 on having the boat surveyed.

Good Old Boat magazine is a helpful source for DIY maintenance and projects: www.goodoldboat.com

I've had a 34 foot Ericson since the early 90s and know all too well that boats can be a tremendous headache--and can also give thrills, relaxation, pride of ownership, camaraderie, and the opportunity to build new knowledge and skills. Good sailing!

Good luck and congratulations. Everything I know and have heard about boats makes the old maxims true.
I am kind of in the same boat - ha - myself. I am considering a small sailboat for our island property. I'm not looking at anything major, just a one-two person dinghy to play in the intercoastal on the back side of the island. I'd rather do that than kayak.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
And a pipe. Like the old spice guy.

proxy.php

Pipe??

In my experience, the absolute best boating experience is enjoying boating on someone else's boat.

That said, I don't want to discourage anyone. Follow your dreams, Mr. Haggises!

Last edited:
Top Bottom