What's new

Possible relief for Calif gun owners ?

Ad Astra

The Instigator
It's hard to say what laws will even BE, anywhere.

And then, if they're enforced. Heard today Dallas wasn't enforcing theft laws under $750 - all you have to do is steal under that amount and you're good.

Yup: The DA’s letter says: “Criminalizing poverty is counter-productive for our community’s health and safety. For that reason, this office will not prosecute theft of personal items less than $750 unless the evidence shows that the alleged theft was for economic gain.”

Pretty hard on business owners ... good news for thieves.

AA

Ok, so a dude in Dallas steals my $749 Rolex watch (old and used) , and no one cares? Sad commentary on where we are today. :(

The good news is really only for those that took advantage from 3/29/19 through 04/05/19 @ 5pm. For that week it was legal for CA residents to buy, manufacture, sell, lend, import, etc. magazines that hold more than 10 rounds. As of 5pm on 4/5 it went back to being illegal again, until the 9th Circuit court either overturns the judge's ruling, or agrees with it. Hopefully they agree.

The good news is really only for those that took advantage from 3/29/19 through 04/05/19 @ 5pm. For that week it was legal for CA residents to buy, manufacture, sell, lend, import, etc. magazines that hold more than 10 rounds. As of 5pm on 4/5 it went back to being illegal again, until the 9th Circuit court either overturns the judge's ruling, or agrees with it. Hopefully they agree.

I would expect the 9th Circuit to overturn the ruling. Good news is that the 9th is the most overturned by SCOTUS.

I would expect the 9th Circuit to overturn the ruling. Good news is that the 9th is the most overturned by SCOTUS.

Right, and that is the dilemma for the state. If it gets overturned and goes to SCOTUS, it affects all the states. If of course SCOTUS takes the case, and then overturns the 9th. Which is what we want.

Ok, so a dude in Dallas steals my $749 Rolex watch (old and used) , and no one cares? Sad commentary on where we are today. :(

What working Rolex is only worth $749? Can't hardly even buy a Tudor for that.

$750 only sounds like a lot of money until you get mixed up in the court system. Probably costs the city more than that to even assemble the case to take it to trial, if they even have the people to do it because the DA probably doesn't have the budget to hire enough to go after the little guys when there are plenty of bigger things to do, plus the perp is probably going to need a public attorney and that guy has to get paid too. And then what do you get out of it after all that. It's not going to restore the money to whoever it was stolen from, that's what insurance is for because you'll never get it back from a broke-*** perp. And the insurance company doesn't care, they'll write it off because it's not worth their time to go after it. Principles are expensive, man.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Well. My point was, when local, state and federal laws' enforcement are not agreed on, what the heck is a law-abiding gun owner (us) to do?

Magazines legal. Magazines illegal.

AA

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Well. My point was, when local, state and federal laws' enforcement are not agreed on, what the heck is a law-abiding gun owner (us) to do?

Magazines legal. Magazines illegal.

AA

We pick it up, we put it down. (in my best Arnold Schwarzenegger voice) :)

Colorado set limits at 15 rounds a few years ago, however higher cap mags are grandfathered. Folks go to Wyo, Kan, wherever, buy want they want and bring them home. We can also sell repair kits for high cap mags, so several stores simply disassemble them and sell them as "repair kits".

Most sheriffs have stated the law is unenforceable as written and don't try enforcement.

Top Bottom