What's new

Positive blade exposure & rigid blade design

Some razors that hold blades rigid are Razorock Game changers, RR Wunderbar ,Gillette New long comb, Karve, Gem Micromatics ...............

I also had a Wunderbar. A great combination of all what I want but I found the head a bit bulky. Also sold it but now I regret... Gillette NEWs are great razors and I will never sell mine. Hope to optimize my technique (or decrease my expectations) to use them again...

Put your name on the wolfman list for a WR2. It will give you plenty of time to save up. When the time comes, you can buy the head only for $250. The unique design makes it clamp the blade the best out of all my razors. A 1.15 gap is milder feeling than most others with great efficiency. Or check out SE razors. Very rigid blades by design. If your looking for something now, I would also throw Tatara Nodachi in that mix.
Wolfman was not in my focus so far because of the price. But of course you buy a razor only once so that after a number of enjoyable shaves it will pay off! Thanks.

R

romsitsa

LeCoq, Swing, Matador, Barbasol (and it's Bulgarian clone) are rigid and blade forward designs.

Put your name on the wolfman list for a WR2. It will give you plenty of time to save up. When the time comes, you can buy the head only for $250. The unique design makes it clamp the blade the best out of all my razors. A 1.15 gap is milder feeling than most others with great efficiency. Or check out SE razors. Very rigid blades by design. If your looking for something now, I would also throw Tatara Nodachi in that mix.

+1! Wolfman razors are rigidity champs! My preference is the WR1, but that’s me! :a29:

LeCoq, Swing, Matador, Barbasol (and it's Bulgarian clone) are rigid and blade forward designs.

Very interesting! I would be very happy if you could provide the concrete names of these razors so that I can search the Internet.

Thank you very much!

Get yourself a Tatara and be done with it. Great shave after great shave. Two passes, done. 0 Irritation , extremely , spectacularly , super duper close. Tatara. After a shave I can rub my hands against my face in any direction and feel NOTHING, like hair had never grown there. Worth every penny I paid for it.

Nodachi top cap, Masamune base plate.
proxy.php

Yes, Tatara Nodachi is indeed one of the options. Now I'm Sure.

Thanks.

R

romsitsa

Very interesting! I would be very happy if you could provide the concrete names of these razors so that I can search the Internet.

Thank you very much!

For a search try:
LeCoq caged head razot
LeCoq safety bar razor
Swing AB razor (Swedish)
Matador razor or Matador deluxe razor (Swedish)
Barbasol floating head razor
Bulgarian safety razor (it’s a three piece or four piece with a Barbasol type head)

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Vintage GEM Micromatic razors; open comb or ‘Clog Pruf;’ are rigid as all get out and have positive blade exposure. They’re single edge razors, though, so there’s a lot less stainless blades to agonize over.

For a search try:
LeCoq caged head razot
LeCoq safety bar razor
Swing AB razor (Swedish)
Matador razor or Matador deluxe razor (Swedish)
Barbasol floating head razor
Bulgarian safety razor (it’s a three piece or four piece with a Barbasol type head)
Thank you very much! I will start searching for these razors. Maybe here in Europe they are easier to get.

Thanks a lot!

Fatip Grande/Puccolo or the Lo Storto slant are a must for those looking for rigidity! I have the Wunderbar and Fatip is a much better performer ATG. Even though Wunderbar torques the blade, the blade is not supported well from the base plate because of the lather channels.

The razor that took me by total surprise with its perfect clamp and near zero blade feel is the ATT Windsor H (with the gorgeous 3 inch atlas handle).

0.90mm of gap but with less blade feel than basically any other razor I've used.

It can compete directly against GEM razors for blade rigidity!!

After just a couple of uses, it became my favorite razor!

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
The more I use safety razors the more I tend to more efficient razors. Important to me is that a razor is efficient without being aggressive which is to my opinion a matter of blade chatter. I have used a Gillette Fatboy and a Slim both at 9. Both have been efficient but with some blade chatter making the shave not really enjoyable. I have the feeling that I'm on the right direction but don't know the next step. Means which razor try as next. I already have a R41 but I would prefer no ZAMAK.

So, any suggestions? Maybe Karve Plate G?

Thanks!
Oh how manufactures keep pumping out new products, I know you are interested in a razor that holds the razor blade rigid and seem to be interested in DE style razors. I recently purchased a Razorock 2nd Gen SS Lupo .72(mid range) and has positive blade exposure & is one of my best DE razors and lots of folks seem to like it also in the .95 version. Update from a while back.

Top Bottom