What's new

Positive blade exposure & rigid blade design

The more I use safety razors the more I tend to more efficient razors. Important to me is that a razor is efficient without being aggressive which is to my opinion a matter of blade chatter. I have used a Gillette Fatboy and a Slim both at 9. Both have been efficient but with some blade chatter making the shave not really enjoyable. I have the feeling that I'm on the right direction but don't know the next step. Means which razor try as next. I already have a R41 but I would prefer no ZAMAK.

So, any suggestions? Maybe Karve Plate G?

Thanks!

Reactions: nav
I've heard the theory that rigid blade design is a key factor in efficient but not aggressive razors. I'm convinced it's one factor in the equation, but I'm not sure how important a factor it is. In any event, the razor that is not Zamak, not expensive, has a rigid blade design (I'm told) and is fairly efficient is the Fatip open comb (either Picolo or Grande). I find that my Rocca outperforms my Fatip Grande, but I'm not convinced that the Rocca is a particularly rigid design.

Another option for rigid blades is to look at single edge razors. In all their different formats they sport quite rigid blade design, partly I think because the blades themselves are more rigid.

Thank you for your message. I also have a Fatip Piccolo but used it only few times.

So far I did not use a SE razor. I know that SE blades are thicker which gives them a rigid design. I bought a PAL adjustable in a lot. Maybe this is a good chance to try Out the SE concept. Thank you very much.

Tatara Nodachi OC and Fatip Lo Storto OC are my two rigidity champs.

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk
I had a Tatara Masemune but not the OC version so far. I also enjoyed communicating with Joao from Tatara. I can really recommend them.

Thanks. The Tatara OC is indeed an option especially here in Europe.

I had a Tatara Masemune but not the OC version so far. I also enjoyed communicating with Joao from Tatara. I can really recommend them.

Thanks. The Tatara OC is indeed an option especially here in Europe.
The Masamune was too mild for my taste even in OC but the Nodachi OC has positive exposure and excellent efficiency.

Any ideas on Gillette NEW RFB? Many say it is a bit more efficient than NEW SC.
People say a lot of things, and not everyone needs a rigid design and thus find other designs more effective. I'll just say the Short Comb is the more rigid design.

Which razors you like depends on so many factors...your skin type, how often you shave, your software and prep etc etc. I have found that 4+ years in, I started with super mild razors and went with more aggressive options as my technique and prep got up to par, and I have spent the last year going back down to mild razor/sharp blade combos because with my sensitive skin and daily shaving, that is what gives me BBS every time without a hint of irritation ever...and that is what I care most about.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Rigidity of razor blade held in a razor is important to some and myself when I first started traditional wet shaving. But I have 40 + razor rotation and some of these razors having blades that float(oneblade) and others that are not held overly rigid(Gem, Everready,Star) and I still get BBS shaves. Rigidity is important of the blade being held but not as important to myself because Vintage razors work better than razors that hold blades rigid.
Some razors that hold blades rigid are Razorock Game changers, RR Wunderbar ,Gillette New long comb, Karve, Gem Micromatics ...............

I've heard the theory that rigid blade design is a key factor in efficient but not aggressive razors. I'm convinced it's one factor in the equation, but I'm not sure how important a factor it is. In any event, the razor that is not Zamak, not expensive, has a rigid blade design (I'm told) and is fairly efficient is the Fatip open comb (either Picolo or Grande). I find that my Rocca outperforms my Fatip Grande, but I'm not convinced that the Rocca is a particularly rigid design.

Another option for rigid blades is to look at single edge razors. In all their different formats they sport quite rigid blade design, partly I think because the blades themselves are more rigid.

I agree here in terms of single edge or injector razors . A schick adjustable injector has a thick rigid blade held very firmly and you can adjust the aggressiveness . I’ve bought quite a few injectors and I think they shave great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Put your name on the wolfman list for a WR2. It will give you plenty of time to save up. When the time comes, you can buy the head only for $250. The unique design makes it clamp the blade the best out of all my razors. A 1.15 gap is milder feeling than most others with great efficiency. Or check out SE razors. Very rigid blades by design. If your looking for something now, I would also throw Tatara Nodachi in that mix.

People say a lot of things, and not everyone needs a rigid design and thus find other designs more effective. I'll just say the Short Comb is the more rigid design.

Thanks. So no need to spend the extra money when looking for a more rigid design. This helps me really a lot.

Which razors you like depends on so many factors...your skin type, how often you shave, your software and prep etc etc. I have found that 4+ years in, I started with super mild razors and went with more aggressive options as my technique and prep got up to par, and I have spent the last year going back down to mild razor/sharp blade combos because with my sensitive skin and daily shaving, that is what gives me BBS every time without a hint of irritation ever...and that is what I care most about.
That's why I will keep my 40+ Gillette vintage razors. I find them beautiful to look at and play with. Maybe I will use them later :)

Top Bottom