What's new

Portland Shave Company Synthetic strop

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
That’s an interesting assumption. The usual reason synthetic strops are made is to avoid animal products.

Are you talking about the felt and nylon strop? I was curious about it, but for the price, it's too expensive for something I wasn't sure would work as well as leather so I'd be interested to hear if anyone finds it comparable. However, I don't think synthetic stops are better than leather anymore than synthetic stones are better than naturals for honing. In fact, it's likely they aren't as good or we would see more of them around.

Are you talking about the felt and nylon strop? I was curious about it, but for the price, it's too expensive for something I wasn't sure would work as well as leather so I'd be interested to hear if anyone finds it comparable. However, I don't think synthetic stops are better than leather anymore than synthetic stones are better than naturals for honing. In fact, it's likely they aren't as good or we would see more of them around.

Ill let you all know how she does. I will prolly do 20-30 laps on fire hose, 20 on Roo rough side, then 80 laps on the felt strop.

Just assuming, Stone and Strop. I’m going to increase my lap count after using my fire hose. Will see if more laps will compensate. I tend to Nick leather strops so I’m hoping I can fly like a madman on my stropping with this synthetic felt strop.

I wonder how you would repair a felt strop, is it possible? At least there won't be any need for dressing or paste etc to maintain the felt so that's a bonus.

Just assuming, Stone and Strop. I’m going to increase my lap count after using my fire hose. Will see if more laps will compensate. I tend to Nick leather strops so I’m hoping I can fly like a madman on my stropping with this synthetic felt strop.

If you are nicking your leather strop all the time then your edge is suffering.
Using synthetic leather will not compensate for your stropping technique.
Learn how to strop effectively and your problems will go away.
"Flying like a madman" stropping is for what purpose? Steady pace will get you much further.
Work on your technique, stay away from linen till you have things well under way.
Just my opinion.

If you are nicking your leather strop all the time then your edge is suffering.
Using synthetic leather will not compensate for your stropping technique.
Learn how to strop effectively and your problems will go away.
"Flying like a madman" stropping is for what purpose? Steady pace will get you much further.
Work on your technique, stay away from linen till you have things well under way.
Just my opinion.

I will focus on my technique. I like to go fast on linen and suede. My shoulder hurts if I go too slow. I usually go slower on leather since of the potential for disastrous nickage. I’ve only been stropping for prolly 6 months.

I will focus on my technique. I like to go fast on linen and suede. My shoulder hurts if I go too slow. I usually go slower on leather since of the potential for disastrous nickage. I’ve only been stropping for prolly 6 months.

If you have shoulder issues you might want to adjust the height and angle of your strop. Don't be afraid to play around with it till you find something that works for you.

I've got a bad shoulder too, I have to be careful what angle I'm stropping when moving away from me.

Nicks, though, have almost always been due to the blade still moving forward after flipping it for the reverse stroke. Now that I'm using a faster draw cowhide strop I have to be really attentive to the strop, STOP, flip, strop, motion. So far so good.

Top Bottom