What's new

Port advice please.

The LBV is nice, hopefully it was stored right as it sat in that place for a while.
Currently you find 2015 2016 vintages to cellar down
NAS Tawnies are mostly fruit forward with the wood playing second fiddle. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn’t. You won’t find much of dried fruit and almond paste in there but they should go well with dark chocolate, Stilton or some mature cheddar.

I can’t comment on the Cream Sherry besides that it will be super sweet.
Thanks much for the feedback.

The LBV was stored standing straight up. It’s in an air conditioned store that keeps cool all summer as it’s a large wine store. I’m not sure if that is correct storage. What should I look for as far as correct storage?

I’ll have to find another store to look for some other tawny with age statements...

Also, if you would, we’re the prices I paid out of line?

Thanks again.

The LBV was stored standing straight up. It’s in an air conditioned store that keeps cool all summer as it’s a large wine store. I’m not sure if that is correct storage. What should I look for as far as correct storage?

I’ll have to find another store to look for some other tawny with age statements...

Thanks again.
Port and most wines can stand up for a while. I wouldn’t recommend it for more than a few weeks or maybe a few months. Not recommended but but not a big deal. The wine touching the cork when stored on its side keeps the cork wet and helps seal the wine.

I can’t comment on the prices as I have a pretty big collection of ports and as I am in my 50’s, I stopped buying ports to cellar a while ago. Winesearcher.com is the best place to check values/average prices IME.

Port and most wines can stand up for a while. I wouldn’t recommend it for more than a few weeks or maybe a few months. Not recommended but but not a big deal. The wine touching the cork when stored on its side keeps the cork wet and helps seal the wine.

I can’t comment on the prices as I have a pretty big collection of ports and as I am in my 50’s, I stopped buying ports to cellar a while ago. Winesearcher.com is the best place to check values/average prices IME.
Thanks!

I am 50...I may have missed my time to cellar. Lol

I’m sure that bottle stood up since the store got it in.....I hope it’s not ruined.

I would like to get a case of vintage port and a case of unfiltered lbv to cellar. If nothing else, my son could enjoy it if I don’t last 20 more years....

I have to find a place to buy a reasonable case of vintage and unfiltered lbv port.

Last edited:
Thanks!

I’m sure that bottle stood up since the store got it in.....I hope it’s not ruined.

I would like to get a case of vintage port and a case of unfiltered lbv to cellar. If nothing else, my son could enjoy it if I don’t last 20 more years....

I have to find a place to buy a reasonable case of vintage and unfiltered lbv port.
Np. I am 52 but got into wine when I was in my early 20’s. I went to school for it as well.

I was lucky enough to to have started buying high end wines in the 90’s.

I bought these two bottles in Chicago on vacation about 20 years ago. They were $80-90US each before wine prices went insane. Was going to open them for my wife’s 50th last June, but COVID ruined that!

83E8AE70-25AD-4808-BC76-712CEB561528.jpeg

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Warres Otima 10 is excellent IMO. 20-30 bucks.

I’m working on my wine collection. Sadly the places near me have very limited selection and almost no Port selection.

Still un-clear about good online sources for wine and port.

I don’t think you can go wrong with any LBV as others have said. I really enjoy Taylor Flad. 10 or 20yr. I haven’t had a 30 or 40 yet but soon.

I notice a lot of vintage are sold in half bottles. Might be an option to cellar (or even try if you find one ready) at a cheaper price.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
How did I do on the ports? The Tawny ports had no age statement. They were $20 each. The lbv was $29.

Pretty decent haul. You can try the rubies and the LBV and see how they compare for you, and see if the LBV is "worth it" for the higher price (noting that a LBV will still improve in bottle much more than the ruby.)

"Correct storage" comes down to three issues:
  1. temperature. High temperatures need to be avoided, as well as dramatic fluctuations. This becomes far more of an issue in long-term cellaring compared to a few weeks/months in a store, so while 50 degrees is an ideal cellar temperature, no store is going to be constantly that low ... but if it's a decent 65 all the time (rather than non-A/C and up to 72 in the afternoon each day) not a concern. A store with good a/c is good enough.
  2. sunlight ... you want the bottles kept in the dark ideally (in cellar) or at least out of bright lights and sunlight while in the store.
  3. bottle kept on its side. The idea is to keep the cork from drying out (which means the cork then shrinks, and lets oxygen into the bottle and ruins the wine.) For a cellar ... where one leaves bottles alone for years at a time, you basically have to leave them on their side. In a store, they usually are not on the shelf long enough for the cork to dry out, and can get handled enough that the cork remains moist enough.
  4. Bonus point: you want the wine to "rest in peace" so not be subject to constant or significant vibration. So storing it next to the washing machine is maybe not a good idea ... or taking your wines out every weekend and lining them up to gaze at them before putting them back in the cellar. But not a big deal for while it's in the store.

Want to drink some nice wine when you are 70? Or 60? Or to pass on to your heirs? Okay, maybe LBV is a better bet for you rather than actual vintage port, but the cellaring lifespans of most cellar-worthy wines are measured in years, not decades.

But how long was it in the store ... and how long in a warehouse here and a warehouse there? Might not be as bad as you fear.

I notice a lot of vintage are sold in half bottles. Might be an option to cellar (or even try if you find one ready) at a cheaper price.

Yes ... and from what I understand, the half-bottle tends to age a bit faster than the whole bottle.

Pretty decent haul. You can try the rubies and the LBV and see how they compare for you, and see if the LBV is "worth it" for the higher price (noting that a LBV will still improve in bottle much more than the ruby.)

"Correct storage" comes down to three issues:
  1. temperature. High temperatures need to be avoided, as well as dramatic fluctuations. This becomes far more of an issue in long-term cellaring compared to a few weeks/months in a store, so while 50 degrees is an ideal cellar temperature, no store is going to be constantly that low ... but if it's a decent 65 all the time (rather than non-A/C and up to 72 in the afternoon each day) not a concern. A store with good a/c is good enough.
  2. sunlight ... you want the bottles kept in the dark ideally (in cellar) or at least out of bright lights and sunlight while in the store.
  3. bottle kept on its side. The idea is to keep the cork from drying out (which means the cork then shrinks, and lets oxygen into the bottle and ruins the wine.) For a cellar ... where one leaves bottles alone for years at a time, you basically have to leave them on their side. In a store, they usually are not on the shelf long enough for the cork to dry out, and can get handled enough that the cork remains moist enough.
  4. Bonus point: you want the wine to "rest in peace" so not be subject to constant or significant vibration. So storing it next to the washing machine is maybe not a good idea ... or taking your wines out every weekend and lining them up to gaze at them before putting them back in the cellar. But not a big deal for while it's in the store.

Want to drink some nice wine when you are 70? Or 60? Or to pass on to your heirs? Okay, maybe LBV is a better bet for you rather than actual vintage port, but the cellaring lifespans of most cellar-worthy wines are measured in years, not decades.

But how long was it in the store ... and how long in a warehouse here and a warehouse there? Might not be as bad as you fear.

Yes ... and from what I understand, the half-bottle tends to age a bit faster than the whole bottle.
Thank you so much for such a thoughtful post. Amazingly helpful sir.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
bottle kept on its side. The idea is to keep the cork from drying out (which means the cork then shrinks, and lets oxygen into the bottle and ruins the wine.) For a cellar ... where one leaves bottles alone for years at a time, you basically have to leave them on their side. In a store, they usually are not on the shelf long enough for the cork to dry out, and can get handled enough that the cork remains moist enough.

Well now you sent me on the hunt for a wine rack. My 10 or so bottles are sitting on the closet floor. I hope I have room to squeeze a wine rack in there!

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Well now you sent me on the hunt for a wine rack. My 10 or so bottles are sitting on the closet floor. I hope I have room to squeeze a wine rack in there!
Meh. Just lay them down on the floor. Hopefully it's a cement floor, and the bottles will draw some coolness from contact with the cement.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Meh. Just lay them down on the floor. Hopefully it's a cement floor, and the bottles will draw some coolness from contact with the cement.
It is cement. That’s why I got them in the closet on the floor. Coolest place in the house.

Thanks again.
Most say that if the bottle has a stopper to keep it upright and only lay down those with a driven cork. I lay all my bottles down.
As to prices I can’t say for US prices and taxes as I’m lucky to buy directly in Portugal
PV and GN

For further info and US sourcing I would head over to the friendly folks at FTLOP especially Ron Hersh is THE US authority on Port and also does Study tours to Portugal.

Most say that if the bottle has a stopper to keep it upright and only lay down those with a driven cork. I lay all my bottles down.
As to prices I can’t say for US prices and taxes as I’m lucky to buy directly in Portugal
PV and GN

For further info and US sourcing I would head over to the friendly folks at FTLOP especially Ron Hersh is THE US authority on Port and also does Study tours to Portugal.
Thank you!

In searching for a case of unfiltered lbv, I have run across a couple different varieties that can be shipped. Any good or bad experiences with these?
1EA762D2-07A9-4D92-BE78-556EB18AFCF9.jpeg
55B1DFEA-2B45-4FD2-9693-3E32238B208C.jpeg

Hi All,

As I read about port to figure out which to try, I have become even more confused. If someone could explain how to know which bottles are ready to drink vs. those which will need to age I would be very appreciative.

I would love a suggestion for a ready to drink variety. Maybe an affordable for a try and also a bit nicer selection for a special occasion.

I would also like a suggestion for one to buy and age.

Thank you in advance for any help.

Ready to drink and affordable for a try? Although it's not technically a Port, Whisker's Blake is our to-go.

Top Bottom