What's new

Pork Chorizo

If it's the soft kind that comes in a tube, you can't beat the fried w/eggs and chiles (Austin's) method. If it's the hard kind you have to slice, make paella.

proxy.php

Here in Spain, the most common way to eat it is either just sliced and put in a plate, or in a sandwich (in a roll):

proxy.php

You want a recipe with chorizo? Well, ask and you shall receive. This recipe is enough for 6-8 sandwiches

Ingredients:

chorizo

2 lbs of London Broil sliced very thin (think 1/8th of inch thin--butcher should be able to do it if you don't have a meat slicer)

ciabatta bread

cotija (it's a salty, crumbly cheese that normally comes in a round--crumble it up)

arugula (I like arugula cause has a slightly peppery taste but fresh spinach can also be used or, if you're feeling saucy, spicy cole slaw--it's just cole slaw with cayenne pepper and fresh jalapenos that have been cored and diced)

salt & pepper

orange juice

cayenne pepper

olive oil

white vinegar

Marinate the London Broil in a mixture of 8oz of orange juice, 1/4 cup olive oil, 1/2 tsp of salt, and 1 tbsp of vinegar. I normally just let it sit for a couple of hours in a fridge because it's thin sliced and that's more than enough time for the marinade to work it's action.

Add some olive oil to a pan, just enough to lightly coat the bottom. Get up to medium heat (just before it starts to smoke) and then add your london broil. Pan fry the london broil or if you're a griller you can grill it.

Pan fry the chorizo. I also add a couple of teaspoons of vinegar while it's frying. It just adds a little tang.

Take the sliced ciabatta and lightly brush a little olive oil to the sliced side of the bread Brown the sliced sides of the bread. This is pretty easy to do in a toaster oven on broil or you can brown them in a pan or on the grill.

Meat's cooked, chorizo's fried, bread's browned and now it's time to put these sandwiches together. I layer them bread-London Broil-chorizo-cotija-arugula or slaw-bread. These are awesome sandwiches. I use ciabatta because it's a pretty stout bread but I've also made these burrito style and they're excellent. Everybody enjoys them except me--I'm vegetarian. :lol:

Nomed hit the nail on the head. Get chicken breasts and bacon and fry it all up with the chorizo. But to do one step better, cover the whole thing with that melted white cheese dip and enjoy! I think that should be a suggestion for the worst foods thread....

Cook the sausage after removing the casing. Drain the fat and scramble with eggs. Serve in flour tortillas. Enjoy.

Or forget the tortilla put in diced potatoes and make a skillet style break fast with it. A friend of mine's mother used to send us chorizo from her place in El Paso. Hers were the best and I'd almost say homemade though I don't know for sure. When the red greese runs down your chin thats when you got the good stuff :001_tt1:

Cut into chunks, fry and add to a spanish omelette(tortilla?)

or

fried in redwine with onion and garlic, serve with good bread and ice-cold Estrella

Slice chorizo then cut in quarters. Fry with a bit of olive oil. Cut day old Italian bread if possible. (Large cut un-flavored crotons work good too) and add it to frying pan. Stir until bread is golden brown. Get some toothpicks and dig in.

Cook the sausage after removing the casing. Drain the fat and scramble with eggs. Serve in flour tortillas. Enjoy.

I mostly agree with this. What I do is cut up the chorizo into smallish bits (no need to remove the edible casing if the chorizo is a high quality one made in Spain), fry them in their own fat until they just begin to crisp on the fringes, then crack two eggs right over the chorizo (without draining), thereby cooking an egg scrambler right in the chorizo fat. A little salt and pepper, and you have a nice reddish, hearty and delicious breakfast. Great in the winter.

Simple recipe for my asian orange chorizo salmon.

Get a nice cut of salmon. Put it in a marinade of orange juice, fresh crushed garlic, ginger, salt, pepper, and sriricha. Let it marinade for 30 minutes plus in fridge.

Get some chorizo and slice it up.

Place the salmon in foil in the oven at 300 in the center rack covered.

After 10 minutes remove the foil, add the sliced chorizo on top. Cook open for 5 minutes until chorizo is nice and crispy. Remove chorizo from top of salmon. Turn on broiler and let salmon broil for 1 minute.

Serve salmon with slice of orange and cilantro and chorizo mixed with white rice.

I like to use it as an alternative to bacon or pancetta in casseroles and soups - dice it small and fry it in olive oil as a base for the other ingredients.
It's also good sliced thinly in sandwiches, with a good strong cheese.
In Spain you'll find it served in bars, just cut into bite-sized pieces and grilled, then eaten with a toothpick along with your beer.

Mmmm - Chorizo....

I make my favorite pizza with sliced chorizo, grilled aubergine slices, mozzarella and a lot of olive oil :tongue_sm

Top Bottom