What's new

Pork Chop Technique, What's Yours?

Here's mine, I stole it from Gordon Ramsay for steaks but made a couple mods:

Bone in chops warmed to room temp, olive oil on both sides, S&P seasoning + dust with Old Bay

Cast-iron skillet on high, olive oil until it smokes, sear both sides of chop for 45 seconds, light brown crust should be visible.

Reduce heat to medium, drop in 4 tbsp. of butter and 2 smashed garlic cloves.

When butter melts, tilt pan so butter washes over cloves then baste each chop with spoon.

Cook chops 3-4 minutes per side and check with temp probe. Remove from heat immediately when temp hit (145F).

Let rest for at least 5 minutes and enjoy! (Made this over the weekend, melt in your mouth bites.)

How thick were your chops?

For pork chops I always request at least a 2 bone cut from the butcher. Low/slow at ~225*F to an internal temp of 140-145*F, rest, then sliced into serving sizes (1~2 bones) and seared.

Back in the day, my wife was a pastry chef at a certain mouse owned theme empire in Florida. One of the restaurants there, which is one of my favorites actually, had a pork chop that was absolutely delicious. We have since made a variation of it at home that starts with a sweet tea brine for 48 hours, quick sear in cast iron, into the oven to finish and a red eye gravy using espresso.

I am no cook, and I have an easier time finishing to temp in the oven without drying it out, especially on larger cuts. That could just be my incompetence.

I'm lazy enough to say that I buy thin cut pork chops and just throw a dry spice blend on them (or even garlic powder and salt). Sear over cast iron on both sides, and add a ton of mushrooms or green onions after they flip to side #2. If I'm really fancy, once I add the mushrooms, when they're done I add a few Tbsp of heavy cream and make a cream mushroom sauce as it deglazes the pan.

I like fast recipes, obviously! My ideal cooking time is the time it takes for me to make a simple salad dressing and salad.

I'm lazy enough to say that I buy thin cut pork chops and just throw a dry spice blend on them (or even garlic powder and salt). Sear over cast iron on both sides, and add a ton of mushrooms or green onions after they flip to side #2. If I'm really fancy, once I add the mushrooms, when they're done I add a few Tbsp of heavy cream and make a cream mushroom sauce as it deglazes the pan.

I like fast recipes, obviously! My ideal cooking time is the time it takes for me to make a simple salad dressing and salad.

I used to only buy thin cut chops but evolved to thick ones. I found the margin was razor thin between just right and shoe leather. I am usually getting several other things ready in parallel so I nearly always overcooked them. Much bigger margin with a thick chop, not as sensitive if you don't get it off the heat immediately.

As far as start to finish though it is pretty quick. The chops cook best when brought up to room temp so ~45 minutes before I start I bring them out and leave them in the cold oven (investigative cat, oven is safe zone). Once they are warm though it takes me ~20 minutes from start to finish. Typical when I do chops would have asparagus & dirty mashed potatoes served with them. I am just finishing up the potatoes when the chops come off the skillet.

I take a thick boneless chop, and butterfly it, toss it in olive oil, add some sliced onions, and cook on a med heat and flip until done , making sure when cut it is still juicy and tender.

I like a 1” thick bone in pork chop (preferably Duroc, when my local store has them). I SV them at 136* with some seasoning and a sprig of rosemary for 2 hours and then sear them on the grill for about 2 minutes flipping often. If I have time I will smoke them for ~45mins before the water bath.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Thick chops - sear in hot skillet on both sides then 18 minutes is a 425 oven. Keeps them moist.

Thin chops - deep fry in lard.

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
Get 'em thick and boneless. Add salt, pepper and Worcestershire. Bag and seal. Cook sous vide for one-two hours. Brush with honey or real maple syrup and finish with a blowtorch.

Get 'em thick and boneless. Add salt, pepper and Worcestershire. Bag and seal. Cook sous vide for one-two hours. Brush with honey or real maple syrup and finish with a blowtorch.

That sounds really, really good! Have never tried sous vide, what temp do you keep the water at?

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
That sounds really, really good! Have never tried sous vide, what temp do you keep the water at?
I have an Anova unit, and just follow their time/temperature recommendations from their website. Here's a pork chop recipe they publish: Sous Vide Pork Chops - https://recipes.anovaculinary.com/recipe/sous-vide-pork-chops.

Interestingly, sous vide cooking allows you to safely eat pink pork chops, which is why they come out so tender and juicy. Read Anova's section on how time and temperature influence each other. Or just do a google search; there's lots of information out there.

I haven’t tried any worcestershire in any of my sous vide bags, but I love the flavor of it, so this is certainly going to get tried at my house.

Top Bottom