What's new

Pork belly?

Was at a local grocer and picked up a slab of pork belly. I would like to hot smoke this, anyone have a good recipe for it.

I've done something very similar to the home cured bacon route twice and each time it has turned out superb. The only thing is that I have a hard time slicing it as thin as the store bought stuff with my knives. I would start with less than five pounds, especially if you are the only one that eats it. I do it starting with 1.5 lbs or so and then find myself freezing half of it.

I've done something very similar to the home cured bacon route twice and each time it has turned out superb. The only thing is that I have a hard time slicing it as thin as the store bought stuff with my knives. I would start with less than five pounds, especially if you are the only one that eats it. I do it starting with 1.5 lbs or so and then find myself freezing half of it.

Why would you want to slice as thin as the store bought stuff? The thicker the better.

Here's what I did with the belly. Went and put a basic pork rub on it then injected it with an apple juice, worcestershire sauce, soy sauce with some of the rub. Went and smoked it in the wsm till the internal temp was 200F. Let it rest in a cooler wrapped in towels. After its rest it was pulled a part for pork belly samies. I must admit, it was a hit all they around. It was tasty and juicy as can be. I'll be doing this again, for sure.

I use Momofuku's recipe. Use 1/2 & 1/2 salt and sugar rub, heat in oven about 450 for 30 minutes to give it a crust then turn it low to about 250-300 and finish it. It's soooooo delicious.

If you get more, sear it off, take it out of the pan, sweat some shallots and garlic, salt and pepper in the same pan, deglaze it with red wine. Put the belly back in and finish add more wine to braise. Mushrooms, onions and other veggies can be added. Cook until it nearly falling apart and enjoy. Or cut it into strips and skip the braise. Lots of pepper!!!!

Top Bottom