What's new

Pores

I couldn't think where else to post what might seem to be a daft question, but I will try here.

I have been happily using a SE razor since August. Most of the shaves I get are most definitely BBS, and certainly the most satisfying of my life.

Now, my scenario: I have noticed that, for several hours after I shave, the pores on my face are much more visible than I ever remember them being. That sounds silly, I know, and they are not ridiculously visible, but much more so than I ever remember when using a Sensor Excel or Mach 3 for 15+ years.

Is this to be expected now that I'm getting a closer shave, a testament to the awesomeness of the Ever Ready that I am using, or should I not look in the mirror so much?

Thanks!

If you've been spending more time on your "pre-shave" regimen than in times past (i.e. warming your face with water, warming your cream/soap, warming your blade, etc.) your pores will be more pronounced. Your shave should always conclude with cold water to close them, however. Also, you've been analyzing your face far more frequently ever since you've been shaving with the SE. You are probably just noticing something that might be typical for your face simply because you are paying more attention. You might, genetically, have bigger pores and just haven't noticed it before. Nothing to worry about. Honestly though, a decent minute with some ice cold water should minimize this.

Cheers

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
If you've been spending more time on your "pre-shave" regimen than in times past (i.e. warming your face with water, warming your cream/soap, warming your blade, etc.) your pores will be more pronounced. Your shave should always conclude with cold water to close them, however. Also, you've been analyzing your face far more frequently ever since you've been shaving with the SE. You are probably just noticing something that might be typical for your face simply because you are paying more attention. You might, genetically, have bigger pores and just haven't noticed it before. Nothing to worry about. Honestly though, a decent minute with some ice cold water should minimize this.

Cheers

I think this is a sound response. I never noticed any difference in my pores but everyone is different. I think you are just analyzing your face more and noticing the little things. In any case I don't see it as much to be concerned about.

I would also like to add that pores do not open/close as they do not have the muscles to do this. The open/closed look is mostly attributed to them being clean/clogged (dirty).

As illogical as this may sound, pores do not open nor do they close. I was surprised to learn this fact.

Edit, oops, someone beat me to it.

huh, I never thought about that. If more blood is at the surface of your face, I wonder if your pores are more inflamed, or swollen because of it. And then, with cold water application the swollen appearance recedes. Swollen anything has to do with bloodflow and/or tissue damage and cold products reduce the swelling.

There's an easy way to see if the change in your routine is responsible for the (allegedly) different appearance of your pores: go back to your old routine for a few days.

Could be that, in shaving, you're removing some of the dead skin cells that cover the surface of your face and block your pores. A closer shave would be removing more of the dead skin.

Thanks for all of the replies. Different answers, and yet there's sense in all of them.

I've noticed that the pores look largest right after shaving, as well as 2-3 days without shaving. This makes no sense to me, but it certainly wasn't this way before I became a LOSER. I'm sure that aging has something to do with it, as well.

Top Bottom