What's new

Popular vintage UK after shaves... ?

greetings gents!

I'm looking for after shaves that were popular in the UK from yesteryear. what would the regular bloke have used as an after shave in the past?

I appreciate your input :thumbsup:

Grandfather had original Old Spice (not the new original) and I'll never forget that, father used Brut and Aramis.

Now I don't care much for aftershave, I use a dab of Boots balm and a very light spray of Kouros (which is basically like a super over-sexed version of Old Spice).

Sir Nader, are you located in the UK?

no. i'm from germany.

Grandfather had original Old Spice (not the new original) and I'll never forget that, father used Brut and Aramis.

Now I don't care much for aftershave, I use a dab of Boots balm and a very light spray of Kouros (which is basically like a super over-sexed version of Old Spice).

thanks very much!

I'm looking for after shaves that were popular in the UK from yesteryear. what would the regular bloke have used as an after shave in the past?

Pashana is a classic UK AS which is still available. It's a rich and spicy splash with initially quite a sweet smell, but that tones down quite fast. I like it a lot.
In a similar price bracket, Old Spice was popular, of course, and Brut, and to a lesser extent Aqua Velva. I believe a lot of men also used Avon AS in the 1970s, many no doubt because their wives/girlfriends had bought it for them at Christmas time or for their birthdays. The first three are widely available, and Avon splashes are easy enough to pick up on online auction sites.
Yardley AS was another staple, but it hasn't been made for around 20 years and NOS bottles can be quite expensive. There were numerous other reasonably priced brands, but locating them is largely a matter of chance. I sometimes find examples in junk shops, and I know a few people in the antiques trade who keep an eye out for them on my behalf.
Many of the more expensive splashes are still available — Floris and the like — but they would need an article of their own.

I remember as a kid it was all about Hai Karate and the leaflets that came with the bottles.

Old spice was popular, brut, bay rum, Boots did a few scents.

Polo in the iconic green bottle (smells terrible imo)

Tabac was here too. My dad wore sandalwood something or other. My grandfather splashed on a blue cologne but i have no idea what it was.

Pashana is a classic UK AS which is still available. It's a rich and spicy splash with initially quite a sweet smell, but that tones down quite fast. I like it a lot.
In a similar price bracket, Old Spice was popular, of course, and Brut, and to a lesser extent Aqua Velva. I believe a lot of men also used Avon AS in the 1970s, many no doubt because their wives/girlfriends had bought it for them at Christmas time or for their birthdays. The first three are widely available, and Avon splashes are easy enough to pick up on online auction sites.
Yardley AS was another staple, but it hasn't been made for around 20 years and NOS bottles can be quite expensive. There were numerous other reasonably priced brands, but locating them is largely a matter of chance. I sometimes find examples in junk shops, and I know a few people in the antiques trade who keep an eye out for them on my behalf.
Many of the more expensive splashes are still available — Floris and the like — but they would need an article of their own.

I remember as a kid it was all about Hai Karate and the leaflets that came with the bottles.

Old spice was popular, brut, bay rum, Boots did a few scents.

Polo in the iconic green bottle (smells terrible imo)

Tabac was here too. My dad wore sandalwood something or other. My grandfather splashed on a blue cologne but i have no idea what it was.

thank you so much! :thumbup:

Yardley AS was another staple, but it hasn't been made for around 20 years and NOS bottles can be quite expensive. There were numerous other reasonably priced brands, but locating them is largely a matter of chance.
Pashana is real Hippie stuff, overdose of patchouli and smell just like 70s. I like that stuff.
Yardley still make tow versions of AS in India but it is something else, I cannot relate to.
@nadar, give a try to Denim as well, their original scent is still the same to my nose.

Pashana is real Hippie stuff, overdose of patchouli and smell just like 70s. I like that stuff.
Yardley still make tow versions of AS in India but it is something else, I cannot relate to.
@nadar, give a try to Denim as well, their original scent is still the same to my nose.

sweet! i got a bottle of denim and i like the scent very, very much

I love the hippie scent of Pashana.

Top Bottom