What's new

Popular TV Programs I’ve Never Watched

They were talking about Game of Thrones on the radio yesterday and one of the hosts remarked he had never seen a single episode. The other folks on the show were amazed. I have never seen the program either. It then got me to thinking about the other programs that were popular, but I’ve never seen.

I’m curious to see what popular programs you folks have never seen. The program needs to be one that ran at least one season, and you’ve never seen a single episode. Also, no movies. I could list pages of popular moves I’ve never seen.

To get this things primed:

Game of Thrones
Breaking Bad
Mad Men
Bevis and Butt Head
Bob’s Hamburgers
Justified
Good Times
Rome
Boardwalk Empire
Empire
The Real World
The Americans
Hannibal
Sex and the City
Friday Night Lights
The Conners
Fargo
Six Feet Under
Buffy the Vampire Slayer
Orange is the New Black
Band of Brothers
Fealty Towers
The Sopranos

There’s a whole lot more that I realized.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
They were talking about Game of Thrones on the radio yesterday and one of the hosts remarked he had never seen a single episode. The other folks on the show were amazed. I have never seen the program either. It then got me to thinking about the other programs that were popular, but I’ve never seen.

I’m curious to see what popular programs you folks have never seen. The program needs to be one that ran at least one season, and you’ve never seen a single episode. Also, no movies. I could list pages of popular moves I’ve never seen.

Game of Thrones
Breaking Bad
Mad Men
Bevis and Butt Head
Bob’s Hamburgers
Justified
Good Times
Rome
Boardwalk Empire
Empire
The Real World
The Americans
Hannibal
Sex and the City
Friday Night Lights
The Conners
Fargo
Six Feet Under
Buffy the Vampire Slayer
Orange is the New Black
Band of Brothers
Fealty Towers
The Sopranos

The only one of those I have seen is Fawlty Towers and I have never heard of most of the others. I spend longer trying to decide what to watch on Netflix than I do actually watching anything; I normally end up watching a movie I have seen many times before. Never has there been so much choice but so little to watch, which probably says more about me than anything else. I usually just watch whatever the wife wants, it is often in Tagalog so I cannot understand most of it which is no bad thing.

I haven’t seen many on the OP’s list. Mad Man and The Sopranos with both excellent though and Bob’s Burgers is funny.

I also haven’t seen 24, House of Cards, Sons of Anarchy, Boardwalk Empire, Billions, Lost, Parks and Rec....

I would likely enjoy all of the above but there are only so many hours in the day.

Just about half of the names on the first list, I don't even recognize as television shows.

Bob's hamburgers? That sounds more like a sign a grumpy old guy named Bob puts up on his table when he's eating lunch at Burger King.

On the plus side, I've read more than one study that shows people that watch less television are much happier than those that watch more.

I'm with you on most of the OPs list and the additions. I've probably seen 4 of the shows listed and really don't watch much TV anymore.
But I have to say IMO Band of Brothers was fantastic...especially given that it was based on actual soldiers and contained interviews with many of those men at the end of each episode. I only saw it when it was "free" on the History Channel but I would consider purchasing it. The Greatest Generation indeed!

I'm with you on most of the OPs list and the additions. I've probably seen 4 of the shows listed and really don't watch much TV anymore.
But I have to say IMO Band of Brothers was fantastic...especially given that it was based on actual soldiers and contained interviews with many of those men at the end of each episode. I only saw it when it was "free" on the History Channel but I would consider purchasing it. The Greatest Generation indeed!
I couldn’t watch it when it was on HBO, but I did not know it was on The History Channel. I may watch it if I can get all the episodes.

I've seen every episode of Fawlty Towers, multiple times and still laugh at it. The others that you've listed, I have seen a few episodes of Buffy back when it first started as Buffy was quite fit, and I vaguely recall an episode of Mad Men, but the rest zilch. There's quite a few I've never heard of.

Game of Thrones
Breaking Bad
Mad Men
Bevis and Butt Head
Bob’s Hamburgers
Justified
Good Times
Rome
Boardwalk Empire
Empire
The Real World
The Americans
Hannibal
Sex and the City
Friday Night Lights
The Conners
Fargo
Six Feet Under
Buffy the Vampire Slayer
Orange is the New Black
Band of Brothers
Fealty Towers
The Sopranos

I've only watched these out of your list

The sopranos (finished it)
Breaking bad (finished it)
Good times (only watched a few episodes)

There's a lot of shows that I've watched a few episodes of, but I didn't care for them at all. And some that just the preview is enough for me not to watch.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
There are shows you should try twice.

GoT was one of the best things ever, but we turned it off at least once.

🤔 Much lesser scale, but Star Trek Voyager I never could stand... Finally tried again, got past the casting and really enjoyed at least a percentage. 🙄 They had one terrible writer.

AA

There are many I've seen one or two episodes, but I prefer movies to series as they are meant to be taken as a single unit. I should note that my wife or kids were fond of things like The Office and Orange is the New Black, so even though I didn't pay attention, I was in the room when they were on so I counted them as shows I've seen. From your list, here's my list of tv shows i've not seen even a single episode:
Game of Thrones
Justified
Rome
Boardwalk Empire
Empire
The Americans
Hannibal
Buffy the Vampire Slayer
Band of Brothers
The Sopranos
Lost
any Star Trek after Next Gen
Deadwood
Sons of Anarchy
The Walking Dead
Parks and Recreation
Curb Your Enthusiasm
Peaky Blinders
The West Wing
Community
The Good Wife
The Blacklist
Homicide Life on the Streets
Rick and Morty
True Detective
Black Mirror
Firefly

Bevis and Butt Head
Bob’s Hamburgers
Justified
Rome
Boardwalk Empire
Empire
The Real World
The Americans
Hannibal
Friday Night Lights
The Conners
Fargo
Six Feet Under
Orange is the New Black

Too many shows to list where I have given them a chance for 1 or 2 episodes, but then abandoned them.

Everything I'm about to say is subjective.

In my opinion, some of the shows people have listed are well known but weren't super popular. They may have had a season or two with an overall high Nielsen rating but by and large weren't that significant to the zeitgeist at a given time. Are Nielsen ratings--the traditional marker for TV-the end all, be all?

What is "popular" though? Is it number of viewers as tracked by Nielsen? Is it just because people name drop them?

There are myriad shows which had dismal ratings on TV but by many sources are considered to be among "the best" shows of all time, shows like The Wire; does that make them popular or not? I truly don't know.

What I do know though, is that there are many shows that--whether or not had high ratings--were absolute social phenomenon. Among these are ones like Dallas, The Cosby Show, The Simpsons, E.R., Seinfeld, The Sopranos, Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones, etc.

I'm going to ponder which phenomena I missed out on.

Top Bottom